Computer Related > recycled hotmail addresses- a techie question Miscellaneous
Thread Author: TheManWithNoName Replies: 0

recycled hotmail addresses- a techie question - TheManWithNoName
My wife went to set up an ebay account so logged on and entered her hotmail address.
It then stated the address was already registered with ebay so asked her for a password.
Since she had never previously set up an account or password with ebay she opted to be sent an instant reminder of her password or choose another. She checked her hotmail account all weekend and nothing arrived so at this point she started to worry that someone else had somehow hijacked her hotmail account and she wasnt receiving any from ebay.
On Sunday she emailed ebay and having checked it out, they stated my wife was using a 'recycled' hotmail account, i.e. one that had previously been used by someone else. They could tell this from the ISP address or something or other and for that reason could not let her register it with a new password.

Is this situation unique with ebay?
Has anyone else heard of issues with recycled hotmail addresses?

Why can't ebay simply register it with a new password? If they did could it be a problem for wife or the original owner of the hotmail address? If so, how? I dont understand why this is an issue.

Latest Forum Posts