Computer Related > Disposing of old tablet Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 12

Disposing of old tablet - bathtub tom
I've an old Nexus 9 that's finally died. I suppose I should take out the li-po battery and see if my local tip will accept it. What can I do about personal info on it? Just smash it with a hammer?
 Disposing of old tablet - tyrednemotional
...if it isn't completely dead there should be an "erase all data/factory reset" option in settings. Not much use if it won't fire up, though.

Will it start whilst connected to a charger?
I can't get it to charge now. The battery status is in the red and as soon as I ask it to do anything it just gives a black screen.
 Disposing of old tablet - Bromptonaut
Our council will collect small electrical items and properly recycle them. AIUI retailers who sell electrical goods provide a recycling facility.

What might be on there that you regard as a security risk?
>>What might be on there that you regard as a security risk?

Almost anything with my personal details, such as social media, Amazon, ebay, bank accounts.
 Disposing of old tablet - Robin O'Reliant
A hammer should secure it beyond recovery.
 Disposing of old tablet - tyrednemotional
... if it won't boot to Android, you could see if you can get to the hard reset option.

Hold the power button and the volume down button for a while and see if you get a menu.

If you do, navigate to the factory reset option with the volume up/down, and select it with the power button.

Reset takes quite a long time
 Disposing of old tablet - smokie
Yes SWMBOs fairly new phone died recently, just stopped working mid-Facebook or something.. it wouldn't charge, even though it said it was, and wouldn't boot. But I managed to find some method to blow a factory image onto it without a proper reboot which will have overwritten any of her data (assuming it worked, it looked like it did!!).

If an experienced "bad actor" was after your data the hammer may not be enough but I would think it would deter the casual attempt at getting it going if it were well mangled.
 Disposing of old tablet - Robin O'Reliant
What about these secure erasing apps you can get that overwrite the data multiple times?
 Disposing of old tablet - Kevin
>Our council will collect small electrical items and properly recycle them.
>AIUI retailers who sell electrical goods provide a recycling facility.

The problem is that you don't know where they are sent to be recycled. Do we have suitable facilities in the UK or is everything shipped off to India or Kazakhstan?

Isn't the Nexus 9 encrypted by default?

It may, of course, just need a replacement battery www.ifixit.com/Guide/Nexus+9+Battery+Replacement/36560 , www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175679039867
>>It may, of course, just need a replacement battery

I replaced the battery a couple of years ago, that gave it a new lease of life.

It's now slowly re-charging (very slowly). I ordered a new tablet that turned up today, do you think it knows?
Last edited by: bathtub tom on Sat 12 Aug 23 at 22:23
 Disposing of old tablet - Kevin
Of course it knows. So does every other electrical appliance that you own. And two of those will now be waiting for the most inconvenient moment to come out in sympathy with the tablet.
 Disposing of old tablet - VxFan
>> I can't get it to charge now.

Have you tried the paperclip trick to see if there is any belly button fluff in the charging socket?
Latest Forum Posts