Computer Related > Hotmail blocked addresses Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 5

Hotmail blocked addresses - bathtub tom
IIRC, someone else mentioned how much spam they're getting in their hotmail account. I'm getting several a day. It seems to be since I joined Vodafone!

I put them into my blocked email addresses and there must be hundreds now. I wonder if there's a limit to the number I can block and if I can see a list of them. Anyone know?
 Hotmail blocked addresses - Duncan
I think spammers must use some sort of auto-generator for their addresses. I get far fewer spams now. Have they given up?

If I am not sure and it's gone into my in box, I hover the mouse over the sender's address and the real address pops up, they are so obviously fake.
 Hotmail blocked addresses - Bromptonaut
I'm on live rather than hotmail and use the free outlook mail programme.

Pretty much everything that's junk is identified as such and placed in the Junk Folder. MAybe one or two a day recently - the spammers have picked up a bit - but I just delete them.

Occasionally stuff ends up there that shouldn't like newsletters I subscribe to. If I drag them back to the inbox I'm asked to confirm that no further messages from (say) Substack should be put in Junk.
 Hotmail blocked addresses - R.P.
Hotmail used to be pretty awful for spam - then it seemed to improve but recently re-started again with some indestructible mails about some Elon Musk heating thing. I use it for loads of stuff. It seems to have improved in the last week or so.
 Hotmail blocked addresses - Kevin
Most spam is caught before it even leaves the originating mail server now. Funnily enough, the odd bit of spam that I have had over the last 6 months is usually from departmental hubs in South American colleges and universities where some student has connected remotely and uses the hub as a relay.
I have a mail filter that traces the real originating address and then does a 'whois' to bounce the spam back to the 'abuse' admin. They usually get the idea and close the hole pretty quickly.
 Hotmail blocked addresses - bathtub tom
>> Most spam is caught before it even leaves the originating mail server now. Funnily enough,
>> the odd bit of spam that I have had over the last 6 months is
>> usually from departmental hubs in South American colleges and universities where some student has connected
>> remotely and uses the hub as a relay.
>> I have a mail filter that traces the real originating address and then does a
>> 'whois' to bounce the spam back to the 'abuse' admin. They usually get the idea
>> and close the hole pretty quickly.

That seems like most of the spam I'm getting. Certainly looks like it's coming from educational facilities when I hover the cursor over the sender. I wonder if students get paid for originating the stuff?
I'll have to learn how to filter and bounce back the spam.
Latest Forum Posts