Computer Related > Setting up MiFi Computing Issues
Thread Author: Mapmaker Replies: 8

Setting up MiFi - Mapmaker
Help please to get broadband into a place without a telephone line but where Three’s 4G service is good.

If I buy a KuWFi Dualband 4G Router With SIM Slot, 750Mbps 4G LTE CPE Router, WiFi Router with 5.8GHz and 2.4GHz, 2 LAN Ports, With 4 External High-gain Antennas, Supporting UP to 32 Users amzn.eu/d/5nTPuTf for £50

And get a Smarty unlimited plan:

smarty.co.uk/plans/unlimited-data-only

Will I have done the right thing?

Thanks in advance!
 Setting up MiFi - zippy
I did something similar with a Virgin unlimited SIM, then a Three SIM when I first moved here and there was no space in the local BT cabinet for a broadband connection.

I used a MIFI router at first then invested in a TP-Link modem. It provided a marginally more robust connection.

Used this set up reliably for about 24 months.

Maximum speed is about 6mbs here.

Funnily enough my new work laptop refuses to work with my current broadband and I have reverted to using the TP-Link and this deal....

www.three.co.uk/business/shop/broadband/data-sim-pay-monthly

The £5 sim is unlimited but it is a 24 month contract. It has been working fine for 3 or 4 months now. They will do a credit check but didn't want any proof of being a business - anyway - I am using it for business purposes.

Note the real price is £6 a month because it's a business contract and VAT needs to be added. Just set yourself up as a sole trader.

Three also do this - with their own router...

www.hotukdeals.com/share-deal/4266453?utm_source=mwebshare&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=2023-12-30&utm_content=4266453
Last edited by: zippy on Sat 30 Dec 23 at 18:52
 Setting up MiFi - zippy
Ought to add, the Virgin Sim was a nightmare to cancel.
Last edited by: zippy on Sat 30 Dec 23 at 19:11
 Setting up MiFi - zippy
>> If I buy a KuWFi Dualband 4G Router With SIM Slot, 750Mbps 4G LTE CPE
>> Router, WiFi Router with 5.8GHz and 2.4GHz, 2 LAN Ports, With 4 External High-gain Antennas,
>> Supporting UP to 32 Users amzn.eu/d/5nTPuTf for £50

There aren't many reviews for this router suggesting that it may not be that popular which may mean that there isn't a lot of help on forums if you have difficulties.

Thanks

Want to about a contract as this may not be needed for too long.

Are you able to recommend a better router please. Loads of them out there. What spec do I need?

But maybe if they can provide tricky I’d be better off with one provided by the internet supplier?
 Setting up MiFi - Duncan
I keep seeing and reading MFI.

Sorry.

Happy New Year everybody!!
 Setting up MiFi - zippy
>> Are you able to recommend a better router please. Loads of them out there. What
>> spec do I need?

I use an older version of this one: www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0161ACBE0 and it just works. I have used it with both the Virgin and Three sims and it didn't need any setting changes - and I admit that if it did need any changes - then I would be lost.

One problem that I do have with it is that the wifi range isn't brilliant. I have the router at the front of the house for best 4g signal but use my laptop at the back of the house and get only 2 - 3 bars on the wifi indicator. It always connects and if I turn it off when I am going away, it starts up again without issue.

>>
>> But maybe if they can provide tricky I’d be better off with one provided by
>> the internet supplier?
>>

I guess there are advantages with that, but they tend to be contract based.

I must admit, at £6 a month, plus annual RPI increases, I thought of it as a cost effective back up. I can also drop it in my suit case if we are staying in a holiday cottage as it's about the size of a paperback.
Thanks Zippy. It claims to be pre-set-up so what can go wrong…
So, just by way of thanks, Zippy, I now have running your router as suggested, together with a Superdrug SIM card - who knew, but they do a PAYG on THREE's network for £20 per month for unlimited 4G.

On one side of the house this gives a perfectly acceptable speed; on the other side it is positively snail-like.
Latest Forum Posts