Computer Related > iPhone security Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 6

iPhone security - Bobby
A pal of a pal got his iPhone stolen in Tenerife and allegedly within an hour, £8k was transferred out his bank account. Phone was locked at the time it was taken.
The cynic in me says this can’t happen but when I do some googling there does seem to be some similar horror stories. Thieves watching you put your PIN in when you are using it then swipe it or follow you and swipe it.

So I am now thinking I need to make sure my phone is as secure as possible. I note a recent update to allow you to block access to the drop down menus like airplane/ Bluetooth etc and I have now activated that. I have facial ID. I have PINs.

What else should I be doing? Anything specific with banking apps? Always wary that apps seem to send texts or emails for verification, both of which will be accessible to anyone with the phone!
 iPhone security - Zero
Set you financial apps with biometric (face or fingerprint) and or Pin. Pin that is not your iphone pin. Its easy to see the numbers people use to unlock a phone, you just sprinkle talc over the screen and the numbers used show up (tho not the order)
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 26 Feb 24 at 21:58
 iPhone security - Zero
>> Set you financial apps with biometric (face or fingerprint) and or Pin. Pin that is
>> not your iphone pin. Its easy to see the numbers people use to unlock a
>> phone, you just sprinkle talc over the screen and the numbers used show up (tho
>> not the order)*

Meant to add, unless you use sliding finger pattern, then it shows up as a lovely trace.
 iPhone security - bathtub tom
>> Its easy to see the numbers people use to unlock a
>> phone, you just sprinkle talc over the screen and the numbers used show up (tho
>> not the order)

Tried that, didn't work, now my phone smells of talc and I'm sneezing when I use it!
 iPhone security - Zero
Works on mine, and now I smell lovely
 iPhone security - VxFan
They say "it's good to talc"

I'll get me coat.
 iPhone security - smokie
Not specifically in case I lose my phone, but I now turn on two factor authentication where I can, if there is potentially sensitive data at stake. It makes logging onto some sites a bit more tedious but I feel it's a lot safer.

I also don't actively use Facebook (though I still have an account) and manage to get through each day. More so since my daughter's FB was hacked and FB do not offer any assistance even when your account has been hijacked and "you" are broadcasting near-illegal stuff for all your friends and rellies to see, ostensibly from you.

I thought I read that face alone isn't a particularly safe form of security but I can't remember where or why. Maybe they can just hold your pic in front of your camera. Could well be out of date info/complete garbage.

Again not related to loss of phone but I have enabled notifications of transactions on my main bank account & credit card, and also set the limits of each type of transaction to a low number where I can. Also prevented certain usages where I can (e.g. Revolut you can disable stripe/internet/ATM and you can implement location based security so you can't do a card cash transaction in somewhere other than your current location.) Not infallible but it all helps.

Different, complex, passwords for each institution. Usual old stuff really.

ADDENDUM: Just read a bit about face. If it's FaceID you use with Apple that appears to be infrared which is regarded as a bit safer than a regular camera. (Obv needs your phone to have an infrared camera which some/all? iPhones do).
Last edited by: smokie on Tue 27 Feb 24 at 17:05
Latest Forum Posts