Computer Related > Microsoft vs. the rest Miscellaneous
Thread Author: rtj70 Replies: 54

Microsoft vs. the rest - rtj70
When some of us on here say we like Apple Macs (laptops or desktops) some such as Zero will have an opinion (sorry to pick on you Z). The argument is the hardware is similar to what a Windows type PC would have and a lot lot more expensive. Ignoring the excellent laptop construction of Apple's current products (cut from solid aluminium instead of flimsy plastic) there seems to be a lot of negativity. The difference for those that like the Apple Operating Environment is the software.

I would love to know of the Apple haters' experience of Mac OS X of late. Bear in mind that Mac OS X is Unix, based on the Mach kernel and effectively BSD Unix. A cut-down spin-off from Mac OS X is now called iOS. This iOS runs on iPods (touch), iPhone, iPad and Apple TV. But it is Mac OS X but cut down.

So why is iOS really good (and not say the Linux based Android)? But Mac OS X is crap compared to Windows or Linux?

Confused.

Rob

Last edited by: rtj70 on Sat 30 Oct 10 at 01:09
 Microsoft vs. the rest - Number_Cruncher
Good question Rob.

After a long time of not using anything Apple based, last week I sat down in front of a modern Mac (I suspect I was in the same computer room/lab that L'escargot's grand-daughter uses), and I wanted to scan in some slides.

I've been using computers since the late 1980's, and I really struggled with these machines - I really don't see how people say they are easy to use.

In the past, I've happily worked from a DOS prompt - I began working with Linux with a Slackware install in 1995 where I needed to manually tweak files to get the X window system to run - I'm not IT illiterate, but, I really can't work easily on a Mac - I never have been able to get along with them, even in Mac classic form.

That modern operating systems on fruit machines are Unix based is clearly true, but, when they are wrapped up in the rigid Apple window system, that's really quite irrelevant.

My brother in law uses Macs in his graphic design business (although he began with PCs), and once or twice, I have had to open up a command window to get to a Unix command prompt to fix problems he couldn't fix via the constrained grapical user interface.

As per my question about our Ipod - I find Apple products much too rigid in their interface, and short of Apple releasing something truly revolutionary, that Ipod will be the last item of manky rotten fruit I'll buy.
I personally got into computers in 1980/81. I got Linux running with X windows like you by editing config files for monitor/displaycard. This was 1993.

Within 5 minutes of firing up my iMac I had used vi to edit the hosts file though.

When Macs ran OS9 I hated using them. At the time I used Sun SPARC and HP 9000 workstations instead.
>> As per my question about our Ipod - I find Apple products much too rigid in their interface

Hence my wondering why some Windows advocates like iPhones. I had Linux running on my iPod 3G classic (20Gb) but not much use without a keyboard. I originally jailbroke my iPod touch and was able to ssh to it etc.

I hope Z and others can articulate for the help of others why the rigidity of iOS on an iPhone is so good. But Mac OS X (the same operating system underneath) is so bad. And why the flexibility of the Linux (and Java I think) based Android is so crap.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sat 30 Oct 10 at 01:57
 Microsoft vs. the rest - idle_chatterer
I've used Linux since 1999, I started with SUSE but now use Ubuntu after a brief flirtation with Red Hat. From a hardware perspective I've had Thinkpads for 15 years for work and when I price a Mac it's comparable to a business-grade Thinkpad so I am actually considering getting one at some point. I've found that spending money on a good quality laptop pays dividends, mine have a hard life and the Thinkpad has never let me down - even when dropped.

My daughter has a Macbook at school (which I'll have to pay for, money appears to be considered no object for parents in HK) and she loves it, having been brought up on WinXP in the English school system and Ubuntu at home she finds it easy to use and it seems well built, not sure I can see that the premium for a Macbook Pro is justified but I'm open to persuasion. Are Macbooks as hardy as Thinkpads ?

When it comes to iPods, iPhones etc, I'm afraid that I use a Blackberry and find the interface on the iPod to be very limited - I guess its's great if you want a painless appliance ? I'm interested in moving to Android for my next phone but wonder about the email integration with Lotus (which I also use). I have never seen the attraction of tablets so the iPad has no place in my life.

Overall, I try Windows releases when they come out, I've got Vista and 7 on various laptops and I boot an XP Virtual machine when I need MS Visio, but I find that now I've swapped to Linux there's nothing enticing me back - or indeed away to OS/X either.
 Microsoft vs. the rest - movilogo
>> Mac OS X is crap compared to Windows

Reasons why I hate Mac [or any Apple product as such]

* Mac is lot more expensive for same configuration compared to Windows PC

* If you don't like Windows, Linux (Fedora/Ubuntu/SuSE etc.) are far better choice as OS. They are safer, have good application base and does not cost a penny.

* Unlike Windows, Mac does not offer millions of applications - be it freeware or warez downloads. If I need any application in Windows, I can get it free (let us leave the legality bit aside for sake of discussion)

* Many server applications (eg many databases) do not have Mac equivalent. So if you can't experience those applications in your laptop.

* Windows [or Linux too] can do everything a Mac computer can do but not vice versa.
 Microsoft vs. the rest - Zero
>> I hope Z and others can articulate for the help of others why the rigidity
>> of iOS on an iPhone is so good. But Mac OS X (the same operating
>> system underneath) is so bad. And why the flexibility of the Linux (and Java I
>> think) based Android is so crap.

Ok, well lets try. I think its all about the appliance. The actual device in use and its requirements.

The Iphone. Its a phone, an MP3 player, and an online communicator. That's its basic premise in life, and you want it do all of those things all the time and do them well. You want to be able to pick them up, use them without second sight or training, and know they will work. I can pick up anyone's Iphone and in seconds make a phone call. I pick up anyone's droid handset and it looks nothing like anyone else's handset. I don't need 35 types of browser, the built in one works and works very well for a small screen.
In short, you don't need to be geeky and spend hours tailoring your phone, when the Iphone does it all just so. You are thinking like a geek not a user or consumer (I managed to SSH to it - so what? what did that actually buy you? Why even mention it? I jailbroke my first iphone (when it was hard to do) just so I could use it on other networks nothing more)

Now to Linux. My problem with linux is that its been heralded for years as the next windows. Its never been that always requiring skills beyond the average punter to install even the most simple programs devices and features. It too has that geeky aura, people smugly saying "well you only have to use vi to edit /bin/crap/bury15layersdeep/bullsheet.ini

Talking of Vi, why are there 15 different editors? So linux geeks can argue over what is best, that's the only reason.

ONLY RECENTLY in the last 18 months have decent "run them from the box and they work" distro's of linux been around. And what with all the stupid stupid ridiculous names for them.
OOBUNTOOO WTF?
Why? because of the geek heritage.

Its too late linux, you have finally arrived at the party in the right suit and shoes, only to find the party is closing down*

And now the Mac. Typical apple, they look gorgeous and they are outrageously priced. Trouble is the PC is where I look for flexibility, the ability to fiddle, huge choice of apps,
and the mac does not cut it on that score. Strangely the Mac is a good consumer device, ideal for those who know nothing about IT. Trouble is those who know nothing about IT cant afford them.

one thing that really annoys, is this "its hewn from a single piece of kryptonite" Sorry guys, IBM made laptops from a single piece of titanium YEARS before apple got into the boasting game. I one dropped a Thinkpad T40 from 6 feet onto concrete, and it shrugged it off as tho nothing had happened. Lets face it, Apple make machines from out of date internals, dress them up, and make you pay through the nose for it.

So there we have it. You know the real irony? Only geeks really care what you run anyway.
Ok I am geek, since my first zx81, but I am also an avid consumer. I can see what's good for most consumers.

* What's coming? Finally after 20 years of threats, hopes and promises, the infrastructure is finally going to let cloud computing start to bloom.

Goodbye windows, Goodbye Mac, Goodbye Linux, hello thin device.
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 30 Oct 10 at 10:07
>> I pick up anyone's droid handset

The phone icon will be on the home screen of almost all Android. I say almost all because you could move it - like you can on an iPhone. In fact the UI tweaks that Samsung made to their Galaxy S phone makes it very iPhone like.

Of course you couldn't make anything but an emergency call on mine unless you know the unlock code.
>> fact the UI tweaks that Samsung made to their Galaxy S phone makes it very
>> iPhone like.

Which begs the question, why did they do that? ;)
 Microsoft vs. the rest - swiss tony
>> >> fact the UI tweaks that Samsung made to their Galaxy S phone makes it
>> very
>> >> iPhone like.
>>
>> Which begs the question, why did they do that? ;)
>>

So that you can own a 'phone with which you can get a decent signal, but also looks like a fashion icon......
>> So that you can own a 'phone with which you can get a decent signal,
>> but also looks like a fashion icon......
>

LOL good one.
 Microsoft vs. the rest - Mike Hannon
Speaking as a user who no longer has any interest in technology except to want things to perform as they claim, I just like the straightforward Apple interface and the machine never, ever freezes or crashes.
From an outsider Ipod user's point of view, though, it's a shame Apple and Adobe can't bury the hatchet.
 Microsoft vs. the rest - RattleandSmoke
I just don't get OSX either, I find it no easier to use than Windows or modern flavours of Linux.

I think my problem is I like to mess with operating systems and computers but Apple products restrict that a bit.

PCs shouldnt' ever crash if they are built properly but too many vairaibles can make then unstable. Apple gets round that problem by limiting the choice of hardware.

I use Ubuntu a lot but really I am still a Windoes fan because everything just works the problem is you be able to use windows you need to be very IT literate otherwise its too easy to get viruses.

I still really miss the DOS days because people had to think about what they were doing. It was also much quicker. Say I wanted to copy some files from my floppy to my C: drive then typing in

copy a:*.* c: - copy all contents to current working directly on the drive drive

is far quicker than using the mouse.

Having said that if we still had DOS then the WWW would have never taken off and PCs would only be used by geeks like me.

I got my first PC in 1993 a 386 SX and by the time I was 12 I realised DOS worked far better than Windows on that machine. It wasn't until I got the 486 SX2 that I really started to enjoy windows - (3.1!).

With regard to IBM Thinkpads I had a T22 I paid £200 quid for, it was solid, the only reason I got rid of it was the amount of RAM it could support was far too low. Was just as way made if not better than any Apple though.
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Sat 30 Oct 10 at 15:07
 Microsoft vs. the rest - diddy1234
For me I use windows xp at work and visualise just about every other os possible.
This can be a nightmare on 'patch Tuesday' and yet my virtual machines have to be set up the same way as customers, so windows updates turned on etc.

So my real work pc could have updates applied, and several virtual machines having updates applied. Just how do I get work done ?

When I get home I just use Ubuntu.
Very quick and easy to install and configure.

These days there is very little differences on the surface when comparing Ubuntu to Windows 7. they both are good at doing the same tasks.

My main issue is that after a days work with pc's, I just want to turn my home pc on and use it. no bothering with yet another ton of windows updates.

The up and coming service pack for windows 7 already has complaints of a 2 hour install.
That is even longer than performing a fresh install of windows 7.

How productive is that in the work environment ?
Windows updating service is fundamentally flawed in its approach.
>
>> The up and coming service pack for windows 7 already has complaints of a 2
>> hour install.
>> That is even longer than performing a fresh install of windows 7.
>>

Its a beta at the moment, the real one is not coming till next year.
>> pple interface and the machine never, ever freezes or crashes.

Because Apple controls which programs you can run on their proprietary hardware.

Let invite millions of developers to write programs which runs on Macs and we'll see Macbook crashes as much as Windows!

Apple products are good for technophobic people. For the rest of us it is just too restrictive. :o)

Most iPhone users probably use only 40-50% of what the device is capable of doing. To get 100% you need to jailbreak it.

Why Apple doesn't approve that?

Because it will crash as frequently as Symbian phones and Apple can no longer charge premium price for that.

Microsoft vs. the rest - Pat
My Nokia 3110C does exactly what it says on the tin amd I love it:)

Pat
The tin is blank.
 Microsoft vs. the rest - AshT
I've been a Linux user for a number of years - started playing with Red Hat 6.2 way back when a virus corrupted a large number of files on a Win98 PC. My thought at the time was that there had to be something better, and although RH was certainly better from a security and stability angle usability was way behind that of Windows at the time - I can recall getting an external dial up modem took the best part of an afternoon to get configured and working. I persevered however - having a little knowledge of HPUX made life much easier - but I think there was no way a relative novice could have installed Linux successfully.

As of now we've quite a few PCs, a couple of laptops, and an eMac in the house. All the x86 machines run Linux, mostly Debian, the eMac dual boots between Debian and OSX10.2. Incidentally on older hardware like this Linux is noticeably faster than OSX. I use Linux today not for any dogmatic reasons but simply because of familiarity and I find it the easiest, quickest, and most stable means of running a PC nowadays.

Our kids all use computers at home and in school, and they're all used to, and capable of, switching between operating systems - various flavours of Windows at school, and OSX and Linux at home. Like most children today I think, they see computers simply as devices like games consoles or phones, and can use whatever OS comes up to do what they want to do.
 Microsoft vs. the rest - ....
>> Speaking as a user who no longer has any interest in technology except to want
>> things to perform as they claim, I just like the straightforward Apple interface and the
>> machine never, ever freezes or crashes.
>>
I wish I could agree. I have had an iPhone 3GS (current OS 4.1 8B117) since June and had to factory reset twice.
Wifi connection is hit and miss on it too.
I was offered a BlackBerry or iPhone, I didn't really relish the prospect of a BlackBerry keyboard so the iPhone was mine though with reservations.

I first and last touched Apple hardware in 2002. My wife had what looked like an upturned iRon without the hotplate and all the gubbins on display through a blue perspex monitor. Rattly keyboard, ropey GUI that looked like something my mate and I had knocked together for a BBC Model B in '84 and a mouse that looked like it was attached with a Kensington lock. The fact I had to ask software to eject a CD finished it off for me.

I'm sure they have come on in leaps and bounds since then but it's an irrational thing just like why I have never owned a Ford. I started driving in the 80's when Ford had coal fired CVH engines judging by what came out the exhaust. They probably have some very good engines now but just like some people think Italian cars are still rust buckets you cannot apply logic to it.
As most people now use web based apps, local operating system now hardly matters. :-)
Do they? A lot of my work is still transfering PST files from different PCs etc.

Web based applications have its place but at the moment they are still too slow to fully replace local applications. It will happen no doubt but I still think mainstream web apps is a couple of years away until we are all doing it.

I tried google docs myself but found it far too slow compared to Open Office. I now simply use dropbox.
 Microsoft vs. the rest - Tooslow
Cloud computing? Good for big brother. You want to ban a book / song, just delete it from the central server.

The rebel in me says, keep a copy.

John
^^^^^
That's the hurdle Cloud has to get over.
I've no problem with a centrally served app but I want to retain the data. I want it on my machine, which I control, not out there where who knows has access.
 Microsoft vs. the rest - paulb
>> Speaking as a user who no longer has any interest in technology except to want
>> things to perform as they claim, I just like the straightforward Apple interface and the
>> machine never, ever freezes or crashes.
>> From an outsider Ipod user's point of view, though, it's a shame Apple and Adobe
>> can't bury the hatchet.
>>

What Mike said. For those of us who want the thing to do what we ask of it with minimal faff, Macs have it taped.

But I can completely understand why those who enjoy tinkering, or make a living out of being able to go right into the nuts and bolts of the technology, would not agree.

Sadly I traded my tinkering hat for a "gerronwivvit" version about 15 years ago.

The annoying thing about the Apple/Adobe handbag fight for me is that I don't actually care who is right - I just want the best product to be the one I use and I am not interested in whose badge is on it.
"I don't actually care who is right -" - maybe neither of them?

John
 Microsoft vs. the rest - paulb
Quite - something they should maybe bear in mind while trading insults.
Cloud computing for most won't work until decent bandwidth Internet connections are available.
It working now - think about it.

It wasn't on Friday night for BT customers :-)

John
A slight technical hiccup was all.....

Ok a Big FU
 Microsoft vs. the rest - J Bonington Jagworth
"Cloud computing for most won't work until decent bandwidth Internet connections are available."

That's the rub. The people who would most benefit are those who live in rural areas where the bandwidth is least, or non-existent. No immediate sign of improvement, either.
One of the problems that phone manufacturers have tried to avoid is the 'rent appropriation' that has happened in the PC market. The hardware manufacturers (and indeed Intel) get very small margins - maybe around 5%, whereas Microsoft have very high margins in their software (good luck to them too). You can argue about where the R&D / innovation lies but the net is that most of the profit goes to Microsoft.

Phone manufacturers (Nokia in particular) saw this and that's why they never adopted Windows Mobile O/S and probably never will. Hence the market belongs to Symbian, iOS and Android/Linux.

Linux (or a Linux based kernel) is probably in your WiFi router, set-top-box, DVD player, TV even. Maybe it'll be in your toaster sometime soon, the attraction of a 'good enough' and 'free' (nothing ever is truly free) kernel is hard to resist. So these are the future appliances - cloud-delivered or otherwise.
>> Linux (or a Linux based kernel) is probably in your WiFi router, set-top-box, DVD player, TV even.

... and in cars too?

I'm waiting for the day when most cars will share a single OS and techie drivers will be able to fine tune the software to suit individual driving style.

>> I'm waiting for the day when most cars will share a single OS and techie
>> drivers will be able to fine tune the software to suit individual driving style.
>>
Think you'll be waiting for a while then. The warranty departments would be sweating like OJ Simpson on judgement day.
You don't have to be a techie to select from a pre-defined set of options.
Many satnavs use Linux and an ARM processor. I know my TomTom runs on Linux but never bothered to tweak it but it possible to actually completly modify the software. There is other satnav software which will run on it.

Some satnavs use Windows CE but they are rarer.

I know many FIATs now use a version of Windows CE for its blue tooth user interface. They even have the windows logo on the dash.

It won't be that long until when we are driivng on the motorway we suddenly see an error message.

Linux kernal 2.7.1.1 Panic Mode!
PANIC!

Instead of the speedo!
>>
>> Linux kernal 2.7.1.1 Panic Mode!
>> PANIC!
>>
>> Instead of the speedo!
>>

Rattle - I've never had a Kernel Panic on my laptop in 10 years of using Linux, I get some funny hangs and odd behaviour occasionally but no equivalent of the BSOD. The Thinkpad with Vista that SWMBO uses took 6 attempts to install Microsoft's updates 2 weeks ago, getting different BSODs with each fix it applied, the word I'm looking for rimes with 'tap' and starts with 'cr'.....
Try dropping a Samsung Galaxy S down the toilet then you will see the linux panic mode message!
 Microsoft vs. the rest - swiss tony
>> It won't be that long until when we are driivng on the motorway we suddenly
>> see an error message.
>>
>> Linux kernal 2.7.1.1 Panic Mode!
>> PANIC!

Instead of the brakes? steering?
what will happen when total drive by wire gets here?
and yes - I know planes already use it.
I have seen the video of the airbus crashing at an airshow (IIRC Paris)
>> I have seen the video of the airbus crashing at an airshow (IIRC Paris)

That was pilot error and the plane tried it's best to get out of the trouble he got into.
Is it worth drawing the distinction between an embedded Operating System (OS) and a general purpose one ?

There are lots of comments in this thread about phones, hitherto these have had an embedded OS i.e. one which has been optimised, simplified (maybe) and debugged to support a few specialised purposes, to some extent this is what iOS is, it's certainly what Symbian was in the past. Many embedded applications (Set-top boxes, satnavs, HVAC, process control etc) are Linux based these days. Microsoft has tried to break into this market with Windows CE and had some success, but (again) fear of rent appropriation and its proprietary nature hampers it.

Then there are general purpose OSes, Windows being the obvious example, the challenge with the rich user interface and flexibility is complexity, hence the BSOD. I suspect that OSx has more in common with Windows than it does with an embedded Linux kernel from this perspective.

So, I guess I'm trying to say it's "horses for courses", if you want a painless life then an embedded OS is the answer, if you want flexibility then live with the flaws..... Hopefully I don't sound too much like a Linux biggot, but as I said earlier, nothing in OSx or Windows currently tempts me back to using them and my phone is a Blackberry.
Last edited by: idle_chatterer on Tue 2 Nov 10 at 00:51
 Microsoft vs. the rest - Bagpuss
The original BMW i-Drive used Windows CE as the Operating System. Owners were left in no doubt due to the familiar blue screen of death followed by a reboot and the Windows symbol appearing. For the later systems the suppliers of the i-Drive went over to Linux and QNX based Operating Systems which have proven considerably more stable.
>> Linux and QNX based Operating Systems

For mission critical systems in cars, QNX would be better suited than Linux.
There was a problem with some Airbus 340s I think. It was the speed detectors which could ice up and if planes operating system had no idea what speed the plane was doing all the other automatic functions would also be wrong. It caused a complete sudden failure so the pilots would have no choice but to suddenly take manual control.

The sovled the problem by fitting ice detectors and better heating elements in them.

So in the case of the general Airbus problem it wasn't the operating system at fault but the sensors.
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Tue 2 Nov 10 at 12:09
 Microsoft vs. the rest - Bagpuss
>> For mission critical systems in cars, QNX would be better suited than Linux.

Can't remember seeing Linux or QNX in any mission critical system, e.g. engine ECU. Still some propriertary OSs out there used for that sort of stuff.
QNX has the advantage of being a real-time OS. Hence better suited to systems in cars that are safety related. Sat nav or a stereo could run anything.

I remember being told a story (whether it's true I cannot say) but involved an early fly by wire fighter plane. There was a bug that was not found until the plane crossed the equator. Then the planes sensors thought it was upside down and so corrected it.... except the plane was not upside down until the plane did it's correction. Nice story if true.
A man who knows the true meaning of "real time"! Have a cigar R :-)

John
"hello thin device"

Still needs an OS, surely?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thin_client

John
 Microsoft vs. the rest - DP
As a Windows user of 15 years, I have never found it to be anything like as problematic as its detractors suggest. The newest OS installation in my house is my desktop machine. A 3yr old Dell OEM XP installation which is still fast, virus free, and stable. According to the haters, it should be blue screening all the time and running like a dog by now. Except it has never blue screened, boots pretty snappily, and still performs just fine. I never bothered with Vista, which many who did bother tell me is why I will still give Microsoft the time of day ;-)
My media centre is a hodge podge of old, good quality (in its day) but rather cobbled together hardware which has been upgraded when it's been strictly necesssary over the years. I have changed drives, processors, sound and video cards, wireless adaptors and so on. The OS (also XP Pro) has coped flawlessly every time. 'Put in the disc that came with your new hardware, and click "Next"' etc. Sometimes I have to reboot it at the end, but it always works. The one time I volunteered to reinstall it was when I changed the motherboard, processor and RAM, but other than that, each upgrade has been a 'boot up and see' job, and with no unpleasant surprises.
I find Mac OSX on our Mac Pro at work no easier to use or more intuitive than Windows XP. It's different, sure, but better? I recall the day it arrived, it took four of us about ten minutes to work out how to get a disc out of the DVD drive...... Of course a seasoned Mac user would have laughed at us, but there ain't a lot more logical than an eject button somewhere near the tray now, is there? Why put it on the keyboard?!
Linux has only now got to the point where it is anything like a viable alternative to the commercial guys for those who don't want to spend weekends compiling things before they install them, or trawling online forums trying to get something as revolutionary as audio output from their computer. I put a thread on here singing the praises of PCLinuxOS and I still think it's a great alternative OS.
I get very angry indeed when Apple users start throwing the security argument around. The Apple security thing is a myth, and no more. This is an older article, but it's still relevant today:

news.techworld.com/security/1798/mac-os-x-security-myth-exposed/

I wouldn't ever buy anything from Apple, but you can't knock them. They've made, and continue to make an absolute fortune by taking existing devices (portable music players, tablet computers, mobile phones), making them slick and sexy, and through skilled marketing and a fan/user base so loyal it can often seem almost cultish in its behaviour, not only sell kit at prices that their competitors would kill to be able to charge, but have people camp in the street overnight to get their hands on before the next person.
Most impressive of all though is the way a generation is already growing up thinking Apple invented the mp3 player, and I've already heard more than one person say it about the tablet after less than a year! They are great at taking an existing idea or technology that most people dismiss as irrelevant, making it relevant, but above that, making it deeply desirable. Even though I despise the company with every fibre of my being, I find myself cooing when I play with an iPad. It's just so polished. The look and feel is just so perfectly honed. The "experience" as Jobs constantly bangs on about is just spot on.
 Microsoft vs. the rest - Iffy
...The look and feel is just so perfectly honed. The "experience" as Jobs constantly bangs on about is just spot on...

That's what I enjoy so much.

My MacBook Pro is still at shiny new toy stage, but I actually look forward to firing it up, even if I'm only doing some work.

The performance is pretty good, too, so there's more to Macs than window dressing.

There are car owners who must have a nice car, but couldn't care less about the oily bits.

Mac owners are the computing equivalent.

"Mac owners are the computing equivalent."

Good analogy, Iffy. Not likely to be very popular here, then!
Thank you, John. I used to use one of those, but it was called a terminal, then!
But technical people like Macs too. Some things are actually easier to get done on the Mac. But a lot of non technical people might not even know these features exist. The level of automation that you can create/setup is quite powerful.

For example it is trivial to create a service to convert images to JPEG and resize them. Or rename them.

Sometimes those that are negative about something have little hands on experience of what they are criticising.
or prepared to pay through the nose for it.
Latest Forum Posts