Computer Related > 'new' missing (Firefox, Windows XP) Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Focusless Replies: 9

'new' missing (Firefox, Windows XP) - Focusless
Yep, I'm not getting any threads being flagged as 'new', using Firefox 3.6.12 and Windows XP. It was ok last week, not sure what's changed.

So at the moment I'm using my Firefox 3.6.11 in CentOS (linux) under VMWare, which I need for work. No problem with 'new' there.

It might be related to the newer version of the Windows Firefox. However I think it's more likely to be a setting somewhere, and I might find it eventually, but I'm hoping someone has seen this before and can save me a bit of effort :)
Ok, now I'm seeing it :)

And it rings a bell now - was it just because I wasn't logged in? But AFAIK I don't login to c4p any more in CentOS than I do in Windows - I'm not convinced it's as simple as just not logging in. But I'm probably wrong :)
 'new' missing (Firefox, Windows XP) - Stuartli
I get the New flags even when not logged in using Firefox (currently latest version).

However, clicking on a New flag in this mode doesn't always take you to the new postings, just to the start of the thread...:-)

>> However, clicking on a New flag in this mode doesn't always take you to the
>> new postings, just to the start of the thread...:-)

That sounds like the (other) problem I've seen where the 'new' isn't removed after reading a new post. When you click on it after the first time, it just takes you to the start of the thread.
Last edited by: Focus on Wed 3 Nov 10 at 22:17
No, they are the latest postings to the said threads...:-)
 'new' missing (Firefox, Windows XP) - Iffy
...I've seen where the 'new' isn't removed after reading a new post...

I've had the same problem, and I have a theory about why it happens.

It seems to me it is possible to physically read a post and navigate back to the thread list before the post page has fully loaded.

So the software doesn't register the page as 'opened', even though you have read the post.

The management mentioned in another thread the adverts are set to load last when building a page to make them less obtrusive.

I think they are still loading after you have read the post and clicked to go back to the thread list.

A slow internet connection exaggerates the effect.

Last edited by: Iffy on Wed 3 Nov 10 at 23:34
>>A slow internet connection exaggerates the effect.>>

I average 14Mb...:-)

You may well be right though about the ads, although in truth the pages load up in the blink of an eye...
>> >>A slow internet connection exaggerates the effect.>>
>>
>> I average 14Mb...:-)

But iffy was talking about the problem I reported, not the one you've seen. My connection is 2Mb.
>> I'm not convinced it's as simple as just not logging in.

It might be to do with rebooting. I usually boot XP 4 times on a work day (one session each way on the commute, one in the office and one at home), but I start/stop VMware rather than start up/shut down CentOS ie. CentOS runs for days or even weeks without being rebooted. Does that mean I'm more likely to be logged out of c4p in Windows?
 'new' missing (Firefox, Windows XP) - J Bonington Jagworth
Works all right in Opera.. :-)
Latest Forum Posts