Computer Related > spurious phone call Miscellaneous
Thread Author: devonite Replies: 16

spurious phone call - devonite
just had a `phone call from an Indian sounding chap, claiming to be from a "Computer management company", informing me that my computer was infected and transmitting errors over the internet! ;-)
He claimed that he was going to give me some simple instructions over the `phone to rectify my problems, and asked me to open control panel-->administrive controls --> event viewer, - and to tell him how many errors and warnings wee in each catergory. By now I was feeling suspicious, so i told him "none" to which he sounded suprised, then he wanted me to go into Component services and start turning on things that were disabled by default! - needless to say i told him politely to "go away!" and hung up on him.

firstly: these errors and warnings are only log entries of events and cant be transmitted over t`internet can they?

secondly: is it possible that my internet use is being monitored or hacked?

thirdly: is this some attempt at a scam or some such type of thing?

opinions please?!
 spurious phone call - Zero
Its a telesales scam to charge you for a support service.

spurious phone call - RattleandSmoke
Its a scam, I am sure it has been discussed on here before.

The errors are only sent via the intenret if you click on send to microsoft when an application hangs. You will always get these errors and they are mostly nothing to worry about if it is just a few over a long time.

It is a scam pure and simple and you did the right thing by hanging up. I do actually get a few jobs on the back of this though as it worries them into thinking they have got a virus!>
 spurious phone call - Stuartli
Anyone who falls for this scam gets a bill for £138.....

Usually those who are not computer literate.

As Rattle rightly points out, the Event Viewer always details some errors.

I told the last caller from this company what I thought of its methods and to go away and pl-y with herself.....:-)
Last edited by: Stuartli on Thu 4 Nov 10 at 15:05
 spurious phone call - J Bonington Jagworth
"the Event Viewer always details some errors"

As with 'Security Tool' malware, that lists a whole raft of made-up infections, which it deals with as soon as you've waved your credit card. Not too difficult, as they were never there in the first place!
 spurious phone call - RattleandSmoke
Those security tools are far worse than that, the usualy install the TTDS rootkit amongst other things. Sometimes removal can be as easy as booting into safe mode and deleting the the files but it all depends if it has installed the rootkit or not.
 spurious phone call - J Bonington Jagworth
I'm not sure I'd be able to remove Security Tool (or its brethren) manually, but I've always relied on Malwarebytes to do it - it's an amazing piece of software.
Ah! just as i suspected! I use all the "proper" stuff to clean an tidy, an its all upto date- nice to have the reassurance tho` ;-) thanks!
 spurious phone call - teabelly
Tell them you don't have a telephone.... total scam. Spend time winding them up if you can then they can't be extorting money out of others.
 spurious phone call - diddy1234
shame you cant do what Radio 1 used to do and put them on hold, then divert the call to another call centre (of your choice) and let them argue with each other.

That would make my day and problem solved.
 spurious phone call - Dave_
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11754487
 spurious phone call - Zero
It may be that, but there is actually a legitimate (well non criminal anyway) scam going around as well.

In short, anyone phones up out of the blue to help you with your PC, tell them to sod off
 spurious phone call - Ambo
I have an ex-Directory phone number and am signed up to the Telephone Preference Service. Such calls are now very rare for me but not entirely so. Usually a sharp reminder of the TPF prevents a second try. You could also ask for the caller's number and say you will call back. Somehow, this does not seem to suit the caller! Dialing 1471 will usually show they haven't left one. The last such call I had was from someone claiming to be rersearching only. I asked for the reference number from his identity card, as issued by the Market Research Society or the Industrial Market Research Association. Response, "Yerwot?" This is also a quick was of geting rid of street "researchers". If bona fide, they should have such a card. If not, selling is behind their approach to you.
 spurious phone call - Tooslow
"reference number from his identity card, as issued by the Market Research Society "

Never heard of that, I must try to remember it. Thanks D. I'm in a similar situation (ex Dir and registered for TPS) and I get the odd call claiming to be "research". I've had a series of silent calls recently, same number (I think) until one day there was someone on the end. Might have been genuine as a number showed but I reckon that, at best, I'll end up with junk mail, at worst I'm helping identity fraud.

John
Well ! i`ve just had the exact same phone-call again!

This time i tried something similar to what you suggest !

I interupted him mid-sentence, and explained that as he had called me during business hours,at work, there would be a consultation charge, and could he first supply me with a Name and billing address, before we continued - the line went dead! ;-) wonder why? ;-)))
 spurious phone call - L'escargot
>> just had a `phone call from an Indian sounding chap, ............

I usually ask the caller (in English!) to speak to me in Lithuanian or somesuch language because I don't understand English. It's surprising how long it takes some of them to realise I'm taking the mickey.
 spurious phone call - Iffy
...It's surprising how long it takes some of them to realise...

I have some sympathy for people who, for whatever reason, find themselves doing this sort of job.

Doesn't mean I entertain them, but neither will I string them along.

Replacing the receiver before they've finished their introduction is my favoured method of dealing with cold calls.

Latest Forum Posts