Computer Related > Me again - technotit? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: PhilW Replies: 18

Me again - technotit? - PhilW
So, having bought the new computer (and printer!) I sat down tonight (after watching England v Aussies on TV- wow - even if you are not a Rugby fan have a look at highlights on BBC2 tomorrow aft! Nowt like stuffing the Aussies !!!) feeling pretty good. Thought I would transfer all our photos and music from old computer to new one. This will be easy thought I. Just extract the HP Media drive thingy from the old computer, plug it in with the leads and copy our photos and music to new computer.
Nope, can't do. HP do not provide a driver that will link the Personal Media Drive (p1600 or something) to a Windows 7 computer.
Well thanks guys, that's what I bought that Media drive thing for. "If the old computer blows up I can just unplug the Media Drive from the blown up thing and copy to new computer" I thought in my ignorance. You can tell how long I have spent looking for a solution by the time from end of highlights of rugby on BBC2 'til time of this post!!
So now, I guess, I have to go out and buy another portable hard drive thing and copy files from old computer to new one. (No, don't mention DVDs or memory sticks etc - they ain't big enough)
Unless, of course, you know better??????
Phil Technotit
Last edited by: PhilW on Sun 14 Nov 10 at 00:23
"even if you are not a Rugby fan have a look at highlights"
www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00w43mr/Rugby_Union_2010_2011_England_v_Australia_Highlights/
 Me again - technotit? - Iffy
....Just extract the HP Media drive thingy from the old computer...

What exactly is a 'HP Media drive thingy'?

I don't suppose I'll be able to answer the original question, but it might help those who can.
"What exactly is a 'HP Media drive thingy'?"

www.shoppydoo.co.uk/price-external_hard_disks-hp_personal_media_drive_hd1600.html
 Me again - technotit? - Dog
>>"even if you are not a Rugby fan have a look at highlights<<

Wallabies hit by Flood.
 Me again - technotit? - ....
Phil Tnt :)

You could approach it from another angle. If there is no problem with the old computer why not have your home network use the old machine as the photo/music server ?
Regularly back it up* so if it does go breasts uppermost you can recover to another machine.

*Do not use the Backup facility of XP or Vista and expect this to recover to Windows 7, use a generic backup which is not embedded in the OS.
 Me again - technotit? - Zero
connect the old machine and the new machine onto the same network and transfer files across that way.

Me again - technotit? - Tooslow
That will get the files across but, depending on how you manage your photos & music, you may lose all of the tag information. I'm a dab hand with Photoshop Elements export / import by now but WMP is a complete pain :-(

I'd avoid any proprietary solutions like the plague.

Good luck

ps - having had a quick look, an HP Media drive appears to be nothing more than an overpriced external disk?

John
Last edited by: Tooslow on Sun 14 Nov 10 at 10:20
 Me again - technotit? - Stuartli
>>connect the old machine and the new machine onto the same network and transfer files across that way.>>

To add to Zero's advice. Windows7 offers Windows Easy Transfer. It makes transferring any files you require on the new system a doddle, especially on a network.

On the old system use the required version of Windows Easy Transfer for its operating system, such as XP.

Your HP "drive thingy" may be too old to be considered worthy of the company providing a Windows7 driver, although you could check via Windows Compatibility Mode.
Last edited by: Stuartli on Sun 14 Nov 10 at 22:08
 Me again - technotit? - spamcan61
I'm a bit baffled here, assuming this is just a bog standard HDD in a USB2.0 caddy then it shouldn't need drivers installing, it should be plug and play.

Microsoft seem to think it's compatible with Win7 32 and 64 bit (assuming I've got the right HP box of tricks here)

www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/Details.aspx?type=Hardware&p=HP%20HD1600s%20Personal%20Media%20160GB%207200RPM%20External%20Hard%20Drive&v=HP&uid=HD1600S&pf=1&pi=1&s=CardScan%20Personal&os=64-bit

For sure I've used various external USB drives of various ages on Win7, no problems.

As a last resort I'd remove the HDD from the HP case and stick it in a generic USB2.0 caddy, then use that to transfer the data.

Thanks for the replies all
A few points there for me to answer
" HP Media drive appears to be nothing more than an overpriced external disk?"
Yep, probably - but at the time(4 or 5 years ago?) it seemed a good idea. An external disk which slotted into the computer and had the same memory as the hard disk - ideal to back up computer files in case computer went tits up. Also at the time I'm not sure there were a great number of cheaper alternatives at the price. I thought it would be compatible in the future via the USB lead but it appears that HP decided not to make it compatible with Windows 7 machines which is what I have just bought. Lots of Qs on HP help and support site about this which just go unanswered. Also lots on other sites mentioning the same problem.

"Microsoft seem to think it's compatible with Win7 32 and 64 bit (assuming I've got the right HP box of tricks here)"
Mine is 1600 not 1600s which may make it non-compatible - I have checked and it seems it's not compatible. Drivers are not available apparently.

"connect the old machine and the new machine onto the same network and transfer files across that way."
I'm a technotit - I don't know what that means! Both computers are connected wirelessly to my BT home hub thing - don't think that means they are "on a network" does it? Can they both be connected with a cable? I think that if I was on a "network" with a common server then I could do what you suggest but not at home.

In the end, I went to Tesco today with my various vouchers and got a Hitachi 1 TB external hard drive for £27 which seemed good value and transferred all my photos and documents to that and will put them on new computer when I have time.

In the meantime, how does one transfer all one's i-Tunes music and settings.................
Think I will watch the rugby highlights for the fourth time, and top up the wine glass for the .. time and go to bed before trying to do that!

Will also have a look at StuartLi's solution via Easy Transfer - will it work on my old XP machine?
Gmac - not a bad idea - thanks.
Thanks for your help -I'll be back!!!
Phil

Me again - technotit? - Zero
>
>> "connect the old machine and the new machine onto the same network and transfer files
>> across that way."
>> I'm a technotit - I don't know what that means! Both computers are connected wirelessly
>> to my BT home hub thing - don't think that means they are "on a
>> network" does it?

Yes they are "on a network", and the same one as well!

Can they both be connected with a cable? I think that if
>> I was on a "network" with a common server then I could do what you
>> suggest but not at home.

your network is a network, home or not. The windows files and setting transfer tool will work perfectly in this scenario.

" The windows files and setting transfer tool will work perfectly in this scenario."
Could you give me a hint (or link) as to how to do it Zero? Would much appreciate it. Never heard of it before.
Phil

For file transfer then hopefully this helps:-

windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/features/windows-easy-transfer

iTunes move:-

ipod.about.com/od/howtos/a/transfer_itunes.htm

27 quid for a 1TB HDD is very cheap, nice one!
Phil,
if you Google "Sharing XP files with Windows 7" you'll get a load of hits but this is a pretty good one

www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-7/share-files-and-printers-between-windows-7-and-xp/

The critical part is making the Workgroup name the same on both pcs (explained on the web page).

How did you get a disk for that price?! It shows as just short of £50 on the web.

John
 Me again - technotit? - Iffy
....How did you get a disk for that price?! It shows as just short of £50 on the web....

The OP said: "I went to Tesco today with my various vouchers."

Ah, part Tesco vouchers, part national vouchers. Apologies for being dim.

John
LOL, I didn't notice the vouchers comment either, did seem a bit too cheap.
Thanks for all the helpful hints chaps - will give them a go during the week if I manage to get home at a reasonable time!
Phil Technotit
Latest Forum Posts