Computer Related > Just halved my broadband bill (well almost half) Car Deals
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 97

Just halved my broadband bill (well almost half) - VxFan

Currently paying Pipex £14.99 for up to 8 meg and capped at 40GB per month.

BT have been on the phone offering BB for £12.99 for up to 8 meg and capped at 10GB per month.

Not much of a saving, but it's something and as I don't generally use 10GB a month, let alone 40GB then I thought why not.

So I get on the phone to Pipex to get my MAC code and they have changed my monthly payment to £7.99 for up to 8 meg and unlimited downloads. They've also given me the first 3 months free. I think I'll stay with Pipex a while longer.

The hard part was getting through to the right department at Pipex. They're now owned by a company called Opal who deal with 99% of their business customers. The residential side is separate. I must have been given at least 8 different phone numbers to call before getting through to the right person.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 16 Nov 10 at 13:58
 Just halved my broadband bill (well almost half) - Suppose
>> The hard part was getting through to the right department at Pipex. They're now owned
>> by a company called Opal who deal with 99% of their business customers. The residential

>>

See at the bottom of www.opal.co.uk/hello-pipex/
"The business division of The TalkTalk Group".

Just halved my broadband bill (well almost half) - Fenlander
>>>now owned by a company called Opal who deal with 99% of their business customers. The residential side is separate. I must have been given at least 8 different phone numbers to call before getting through to the right person.

That's interesting. My very small ISP has just been taken over by Opal who are quite aggressively calling up existing customers of my old ISP and explaining it will be far more simple and efficient to sign up for some amazing sounding deal with them now rather than waiting for the whole customer base to migrate on our existing contracts.

We've been with the old ISP for 3yrs+ and are now on 1 month notice. Two facts about this is that Opal are craftily trying to tie us into a new 24mth contract and the reports of their call centre/sales people are a bit worrying as you've already experienced. In addition a strong rumour is that what they sign you up to turns out to be more expensive/onerous than the sales call explains.

All feels much like Stu and his BT hassle. I'd look very carefully at the new contract!
 Just halved my broadband bill (well almost half) - Tooslow
24 months!!!

I feel that if an ISP is any good, they will not go for a long contract. They'll tie you in with good service. I couldn't wait to get out of my BT contract and I'm now on one months notice with Zen. I could get it cheaper but the service is ALWAYS there, unlike BT and the speed drifts very little, again unlike BT. On the rare occasions I have needed to speak to anyone they have known what they were talking about and did me the honour of assuming I did too (fools! :-) ). No script bunnies.

Regarding Rattle and his usage, I can check at any time, I can even add a Firefox add on to show me usage as I go. Completely open, nothing hidden.

John
 Just halved my broadband bill (well almost half) - Zero
I had to help someone with a broad band issue. They were originally Pipex business, and got Moved to Opal.

Opal technical support were brilliant, he and I sorted an issue together on the phone.

It was, it goes without saying, an English call centre.
>> Two facts about this is that Opal are craftily trying to tie us into a new 24mth contract

They told me that it would be a 12 month contract.

>> All feels much like Stu and his BT hassle. I'd look very carefully at the new contract!

Don't worry, I will. I did have previous issues when I changed my BB account with them before to get a cheaper deal. I just hope this time it goes more smoothly. They do seem reluctant to let their customers go though. Loads of comments on the net of it being easier to get blood from a stone than it is to get a MAC code from them.

I was being a cheapskate previously by using saynoto0870 and calling their 0800 number(s) but was told that the 0800 number is for their business customers only. I relented and called the 0870 number they (eventually correctly) gave me and was surprised to be greeted with "Hello, Pipex, how can we help you". For them to still be using the Pipex name despite being taken over several times was a shock.

I'd be very happy to know my old Freedon2Surf call centre people were answering if I phoned Opal. For the past few years they've been friendly and helpful.
>> I'd look very carefully at the new contract!

Just had my e-bill. Credited £23.97 to the account (3 x £7.99 - the 3 free months) and charged £7.99 for next month. All seems ok to me.
 Just halved my broadband bill (well almost half) - Victorbox
Pipex do my unlimited download 8mb broadband plus anytime phonecalls and line rental for about £23 a month - only thing extra they charge for is calls to mobiles. I've noticed the file download speed creeping up and up over last 6 months as well.
 Just halved my broadband bill (well almost half) - RattleandSmoke
This reminds me I really must get our broadband sorted, I am paying £20 a month for 40gb and 8MB. The only reason I have kept with it is that I am sure we must go over the 40GB limit but they haven't said anything.
 Just halved my broadband bill (well almost half) - bathtub tom
How can you tell how much you download over a period of time?
My current ISP gives you your own tech webpage that counts the monthly total to date for you.
 Just halved my broadband bill (well almost half) - Stuartli
Pipex originated in 1991 and was predominantly a business broadband provider of extremely high quality backed up by superb customer service, but also accepted residential subscribers.

It made vast investments in its services, including an involvement with a huge pipeline across the Atlantic to improve internet connections with the States.

It was my first ISP in 1996 and I still have an e-mail address with the company. Sadly, takeovers etc meant it eventually declined somewhat and was finally taken over by Carphone Warehouse (as was the case with AOL).

Ironically, although I maintained my Pipex service (I received it free at the time, only having to pay for the dial-up charges), I switched to WorldOnline because of its then revolutionary broadband and phone packages.

In turn this was taken over by Tiscali who, as you will now have realised, were taken over by Carphone Warehouse, but sometime after I had left Tiscali for TalkTalk in early 2006.

Seems all roads lead to CPW..:-)
>> Seems all roads lead to CPW..:-)
>>

Not any more, since March 2010 according to:
www.talktalkgroup.com/corporate-information/our-history.html

>> How can you tell how much you download over a period of time?>>
If your ISP has an online accounts page, as Talktalk do, it should be on there.

BTW, I agree with Stuartli's comment in another thread that Talktalk will usually sort your broadband problems efficiently and quickly if you ask via their customers' forum.

re. Fenlander >> That's interesting. My very small ISP has just been taken over by Opal who are quite aggressively calling up existing customers of my old ISP and explaining it will be far more simple and efficient to sign up >>

It may be true that it will make life easier for you and them. Talktalk have had problems migrating Tiscali accounts to their system.
www.theregister.co.uk/2010/11/02/ofcom_talktalk_tiscali/

Last edited by: Suppose on Tue 16 Nov 10 at 18:03
>>>Talktalk have had problems migrating Tiscali accounts to their system.
www.theregister.co.uk/2010/11/02/ofcom_talktalk_tiscali/

Thanks for the link Suppose. Reading it and linking to further sources brings up many examples of grief related to Opal sales and customer service when my fellow ISP (Freedom2Surf) customers accept the offer to swap early for bargain contracts tied in for excessive periods.

In truth their phone call has made it easy for me... I'll go for another ISP before the swap happens!
>> Thanks for the link Suppose. Reading it and linking to further sources brings up many
>> examples of grief related to Opal sales and customer service when my fellow ISP

>> In truth their phone call has made it easy for me... I'll go for another
>> ISP before the swap happens!
>>

Yes, Tiscali/Talktalk have been threatened with a huge £ multi-million fine if they do not get their accounts department sorted promptly.
www.computerworlduk.com/news/networking/3247058/ofcom-threatens-talktalk-with-100m-over-tiscali-billing-debacle/
I was aware of the changes earlier this year, but as it didn't affect the TT service I wasn't too concerned..:-)

The reason for the split is explained here (it had been mooted for at least two years):

www.pcpro.co.uk/news/broadband/356812/carphone-warehouse-and-talktalk-split
>> How can you tell how much you download over a period of time?>>

Download Tautology Bandwidth Meter (freeware). Does what it says on the tin i.e. real time upload/download figures, monthly totals, annual totals. See:

textmode.cwahi.net/bm.html

Been using it for several years.

Just halved my broadband bill (well almost half) - RattleandSmoke
It is a bit of a pain if you connect probably 20+ devices to the internet each month though. It would be nice if the router could measure bandwidth usage.
 Just halved my broadband bill (well almost half) - ....
My Netgear router would do this (measure the usage).
The Belkin I have now does not but it works at N which fried 5 Netgear routers I tried.
Netgear had a nicer UI but that's pretty useless if the router part doesn't work...
Thanks. I'll try it.
 Just halved my broadband bill (well almost half) - mikeyb
Get my broadband through Orange as an add on to my mobile contract. 8gb unlimited think I pay 16 or 17 quid a month including line rental which I think is a pretty good deal. Can't comment on the customer services side as I have never had to use them

Worth noting that they were honest up front and told me that although it was 8gb my line was only capable of around 6
>>Worth noting that they were honest up front and told me that although it was 8gb my line was only capable of around 6>>

If you are on unlimited 8GB unlimited broadband including line rental a month I'm not surprised you think it's a "pretty good deal"..:-)

In fact I'm amazed you've broadcast such information.....

PS

Can you pass on the phone number to contact...:-))
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 19 Nov 10 at 00:29
 Just halved my broadband bill (well almost half) - Duncan
I am thinking of switching from TalkTalk to whom??

After lengthy teething problems, aggravated by dealing with call centres overseas, I threatened to cancel. They then sorted things out and it has been ok ever since.

My gripe is that I am paying more than I need. I have a broadband and phone service, the basic cost of which is £27.99 per month, various bits and pieces crank it up by another £5 or so. Last month the bill came to over £49, ok, I have family abroad, but it still seems a lot.

Which? says that Zen come top of the satisfaction ratings with Utility Warehouse second.

Where should I go?
 Just halved my broadband bill (well almost half) - Tooslow
D,
I'm with Zen and I am completely happy with them. They are far from cheap but they are extremely good. Their contracts are 1 month. Why not give them a go. If you don't like them you're not tied it.

Incidentally, I have no relationship with them beyond being a customer (2 years now).

John
My TalkTalk package, including line rental, is under £22 a month and includes "Up to 24Mb" broadband (average speeds 14Mb), free AnyTime UK calls and free AnyTime international calls to 36 different countries (includes NZ, US, Canada and Europe).

Only calls I pay for separately are to 0870 or similar numbers.

Been with TT for four and a half years - best move I ever made and the financial savings are impressive.
My TalkTalk package is made up:-

Broadband "Free" (How I hate that word)
Talk International Anytime £10.49
Line rental...................££12.04
Mobile Extra..............£1.46
Calling feature Bundle 3.. £4.00
Total.........................£27.99
Plus
Paper Bill Charge...........£1.45
Usage and Service charges..£££

Perhaps I should have a chat with them and see what I can dispense with.
>> Talk International Anytime £10.49

Duncan, you do know that to get your designated free international calls via talktalk you need to dial a prefix before the international number?

Other than that and your mobile phone calls, what can the "usage and service charges" be?

>>Duncan, you do know that to get your designated free international calls via talktalk you need to dial a prefix before the international number?>>

Not so now and not for some time past.

Call charges and usage means exactly what it says i.e. charges for calls (free other than 0870 etc type numbers in my case) and the calls made listed in full detail.

In answer to a rather naughty question, no I don't work for TalkTalk, but have been a subscriber since April 2006 when it first launched its "free broadband" with a phone package.

Like Duncan, I'm on the AnyTime International3 package, but just pay the basic package charge and line rental.

It's not been available to new subscribers for some time (no doubt because of the remarkable value) and I have to insist on retaining it each time I renew my contract.

Most of my family and friends are also on TalkTalk as a result of my general satisfaction with the service over the years.
Last edited by: Stuartli on Thu 25 Nov 10 at 13:27
You can dispense with Paper Bill Charge quite easily by switching to on-line viewing of your bill and previous bills.

Do you really need all or any of the features of the Calling Feature Bundle?
>
>> Perhaps I should have a chat with them and see what I can dispense with.

The paper bill.
 Just halved my broadband bill (well almost half) - rtj70
Can we advertise here? Does Stuartli work for Talk Talk? :-)

I don't pay for 0870 or 0845 with BT as they are included in the BT anytime calls. 0871 and 0844 are not though. Shame TalkTalk don't include common numbers to call such as 0870.
I pay £24.99 a month for Broadband (what speed I don't know - it was 8mb but seems to be climbing, its now 11mb) free 7x24 international and domestic calls (inc 0870 and 0845), line rental, and voicemail.

Actually for three months I am paying 9.99 a month for all that - I refused to migrate from Tiscali contract to Talk Talk contract. They phoned up a lot and finally offered the sweeteners to join,

I cant get that lot cheaper honestly.
To simplify I also pay £24.99 for broadband. I get 38Mbps download and 8.2Mbps upload.

I say simplify because in my overall package I also get calls. For the upload speed alone I am happy. This is not to send illegal files but for remote access to work systems.
>> I pay £24.99 a month for Broadband (what speed I don't know - it was
>> 8mb but seems to be climbing, its now 11mb)
>> refused to migrate from Tiscali contract to Talk Talk contract. They phoned up a lot
>> and finally offered the sweeteners to join,
>>
If by "sweeteners to join" you mean that you have now joined talktalk, then you can answer your first point "what speed I don't know" easily : just log on to talktalk "my account" and there you will be able to find the details of your service, plus any other options which are available for free if you have not already opted for them.

>> I cant get that lot cheaper honestly.
>>

I agree, talktalk value is hard to beat generally.

>> If by "sweeteners to join" you mean that you have now joined talktalk, then you
>> can answer your first point "what speed I don't know" easily : just log on
>> to talktalk "my account" and there you will be able to find the details of
>> your service, plus any other options which are available for free if you have not
>> already opted for them.

It says I am on 8mb, I am getting 11.5mb
>> It says I am on 8mb, I am getting 11.5mb
>>

On the my account page, there should be an option for you to tick/ask for free upgrade to 24Meg.

Not available in my area
>>On the my account page, there should be an option for you to tick/ask for free upgrade to 24Meg.>>

TalkTalk is automatically updating all customers to "Up to 24Mb" served by exchanges housing its own LLU equipment and has been doing so since early this year.

In some cases this has not happened or not as quickly as anticipated, so visiting the TalkTalk Members' Forums and asking one of the OCEs to look into it is usually the quickest way to switch:

www.talktalkmembers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37 (for examples of requests and action taken).
Last edited by: Stuartli on Thu 25 Nov 10 at 13:42
>> TalkTalk is automatically updating all customers to "Up to 24Mb" served by exchanges housing its
>> own LLU equipment and has been doing so since early this year.
>>
>>

Not much help to me. BT say my rate is 2Mb. My exchange is, I believe, Claygate, which is 'non LLU'
Blimey I am suprised about Claygate. I would have thought the locals there would have had the BT chairman removed by now if he wasnt keeping them happy.
edit

They are feeding you BS Duncan

The claygate exchange serves Esher. Esher is LLU to some operators

www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/LSESH
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 26 Nov 10 at 08:43
>> They are feeding you BS Duncan
>

Well, I have taken my fair share of BS over the years.

I will check and report back.
 Just halved my broadband bill (well almost half) - John H
Duncan said earlier that he is with talktalk. So why is he asking BT about his connection?
As already mentioned, talktalk customers need to check via their "my account" page to find out what they can or cannot get, and as Stuartli has said, it is worth joining "the TalkTalk Members' Forums and asking one of the OCEs to look into it".

According to Samknows, Esher/Claygate has talktalk LLU, and is 21CN enabled, which means up to 24Meg should be possible.

Zero is near Byfleet if I remember correctly, and Samknows says that too is 21CN enabled.

www.samknows.com/broadband/exchanges/21cn_broadband

Last edited by: John H on Fri 26 Nov 10 at 09:58
>> Zero is near Byfleet if I remember correctly, and Samknows says that too is 21CN
>> enabled.

Well its still climbing, now negotiated at

Downstream Upstream

(Kbps) 12387Kb 1020Kb

Dont believe your talk talk account page, its not to be relied upon.

>> Dont believe your talk talk account page, its not to be relied upon.
>>

Does your "my account" > "phone & braodband" > "manage services" page not have this line:
"broadband boost - turbo boost - increases your speed to up to 24 Meg or as fast as your line can go - cost £0 - tick/untick"

>>Shame TalkTalk don't include common numbers to call such as 0870.>>

Wise to check facts first before posting...:-)

broadband.talktalk.co.uk/products/phone-line/Talk-UK-EveWeekend

broadband.talktalk.co.uk/products/phone-line/Talk-UK-Anytime

It also applies to combined broadband and phone packages Essentials and Get Plus.

sales.talktalk.co.uk/products/broadband/index-bb.html?portalId=TALKTALK
>> Wise to check facts first before posting...:-)
>>

Stuartli, but it was you who first said that your 0870 calls on talktalk were chargeable!

>>Stuartli, but it was you who first said that your 0870 calls on talktalk were chargeable!>>

Yes, and it's quite correct in my case.

It's only comparatively recent TT packages listed above that include the feature...:-)
Had an e-mail this evening stating that my AntyTime International3 package will be subject to the VAT increase early next year, plus the fact that the monthly charge will rise by 60p from January 4th.

Not welcome, but still great value for money...
 Just halved my broadband bill (well almost half) - madf
I need 20GB+ month so am restricted in choice :-(
>> I need 20GB+ month so am restricted in choice :-(>>

Why?

TalkTalk's minimum allowance, for instance, is 40GB a month and you can add another 40GB a month for a small fee or take the Plus package, which is unlimited.

Other ISPs' allowances vary, so you have to select which suits you best.

In fact I rarely go above five or six GB a month even though I'm using my system for large parts of the day (I don't go in for films etc although I do watch BBCi Player on my TV quite regularly).
>> TalkTalk's minimum allowance, for instance, is 40GB a month ...

Pipex have just changed my limit to unlimited. Previously it was capped at 40GB.

Just halved my broadband bill (well almost half) - L'escargot
>> >> How can you tell how much you download over a period of time?>>
>>
>> Download Tautology Bandwidth Meter (freeware). Does what it says on the tin i.e. real time
>> upload/download figures, monthly totals, annual totals. See:
>>
>> textmode.cwahi.net/bm.html

I had the Tautology Bandwidth Meter on my previous computer, but I've just seen a McAfee warning that cwahi.net is a bit risky. tinyurl.com/85vgtlu

Can I get Tautology by a safer route?

I'm still a computer duffer so please feel free to correct me if I'm talking rubbish.
>> I think I'll stay with Pipex a while longer.

Time to move on me thinks.

Got a letter from Talk Talk Saturday morning saying that they are in the final stages of transferring Pipex customers to their billing system. The letter went on further to say that from November 7th my monthly fee will increase from £8.16 per month to £15.31 per month and capped at 40GB (previously unlimited).

If that's how they treat their long term customers then I'll be telling them to shove it.

I will be on the phone to them on Monday morning to ask what they're playing at and if they don't offer me a better deal to stay with them, I'll be seeking a new ISP.
 Just halved my broadband bill (well almost half) - Pat
Forget Customer Services Dave and ask to be put through to the disconnections department straight away.
Once there, explain that you want to leave them because of the price rise.
They, and only they, have the power to negotiate a better deal for you:)

That's how I got mine.

Pat
Really not sure how you thought you would keep getting that Broadband service at that price. Its a completely unrealistic price point long term, and one you wont get anywhere near with anyone else.

They can and will uncap you to keep your custom if you ask for a MAC code, I am uncapped with Tiscali, in effect they "forget" to measure your useage. Tell them you want to keep at £8.16 a month permanently, and they will give you a MAC code faster than you can say "goodbye"

Thanks Pat, that's what I usually do, whether it be car insurance, mobile phone, etc.

Zero, I wouldn't have minded had they proposed to increase it by a couple of quid and not almost double what I'm paying now. To cap it at 40GB as well is just taking the mick.

I probably don't use 40GB a month (who knows? maybe I do, never had to bother checking), but that's not the point.

Going on past customer service discussions, trying to get a MAC code is like trying to get blood from a stone. I'll just have to see how generous they are when I give them a call.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 9 Oct 11 at 23:59
 Just halved my broadband bill (well almost half) - devonite
Me been with Aol a lot of years now, and by listening to other folk`s gripes and gurns about their BB packages and unreliable service, I think i`ll stay put!
For £14.99pm
I get upto 8mb speed, unlimited downloads, and free calls to 01,02 and 03 numbers 24/7 365.

I still pay line rental to BT but as they have the cheek to charge me over £5 to pay cash at the P.O, this is soon to be changing!!!
so you are paying 25 quid a month.,

Just halved my broadband bill (well almost half) - Focusless
>> so you are paying 25 quid a month.,

...assuming paying line rental yearly? Monthly it's £13.90.
Sorted with a quick phone call. Even the sales adviser agreed that almost doubling the price was unacceptable.

I've been offered 2 months free and a £5 discount per month if I commit to a 12 month contract.

By my maths that's £10.31 a month (£15.31 - £5), with 2 months free.

I'm paying £97.92 per year with my current package (£8.16 per month).

From November 7th I'll be paying £103.10 (10 months at £10.31, which works out at £8.59 per month over the 12 months)

Unfortunately I couldn't get the 40GB download limit removed, but the sales adviser said that if I get anywhere near it then I'll receive a letter or email notifiying me.

In short, my BB is increasing by 43p per month, with a 40GB cap.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 10 Oct 11 at 12:49
 Just halved my broadband bill (well almost half) - Roger.
I'm with TalkTalk.
Package is line rental, broadband, (not great speeds, as we are a good distance from the exchange, but unlimited downloads; most so far is 28GB in a month), free UK geographical land-line calls + overseas call boost for FOC calls to the E.U (Germany in our case).
We pay around £30 to £32 per month all in.
>> Sorted with a quick phone call. Even the sales adviser agreed that almost doubling the
>> price was unacceptable.

that price doesent include your line rental tho. Always include the cost of your line rental in with broadband to get a proper price per month.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 10 Oct 11 at 21:47
>> that price doesn't include your line rental tho.

The thread was originally about the price of my BB only though, and I continued on with that with the update some 11 months later.

But if you insist ;o) - The phone line isn't mine as such, but I do contribute ½ toward it.

99% of calls I make are either on my mobile or while I'm at work (they allow short calls to be made as they realise it's not always possible to call companies and the like in the evening)
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 11 Oct 11 at 00:40
Yeah but you dont have your broadband over your mobile do ya.

One can not just separate BB out these days, because the best deals are done on unbundled exchanges where you combine your BB and line rental onto one supplier.
Line rental is with BT, but their BB offer is rubbish ## in comparison with the deal I've got with Pipex/Opal/TT.

## Still £12.99 for up to 8 meg and capped at 10GB per month.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 11 Oct 11 at 21:06
>> Sorted with a quick phone call.
>> I've been offered 2 months free and a £5 discount per month if I commit
>> to a 12 month contract.

Useless morons. TT have just taken £15.31 out of my account instead of £10.31. I didn't get the 2 months free either.

Last correspondence I had from them (in writing) was that my current package and pricing would remain the same (ie, unlimited downloads, and £8.16 per month), and that was after all the other stuff about it going up to £15.31 a month, but then me sorting out the 2 months free and £10.31 a month deal.

Yet another phone call to TT in the morning to blow their ears off.
 Just halved my broadband bill (well almost half) - Clk Sec
Wooden Spoon X2 = Bargepole...
>>Useless morons. TT have just taken £15.31 out of my account instead of £10.31. I didn't get the 2 months free either.

Exactly the sort of problems I had with Virgin. When they said they had no audio copy of the telephone call agreeing the terms, I pointed out they then had no proof of any contract. They folded!
"Good morning, Talk Talk, I'm Randy, how may I help you" said the person from the Indian call centre.

That was enough to put me off my train of thought straight away.

Once I got over giggling like a school child, they admitted a mistake had been made. The offer of an extra month free was dismissed by me.

In the end I accepted 3 months free (the 2 months I was originally promised, plus the additional offer of another month), £10 credited back to me, and 9 months @ £10.31.

We'll see if Talk Talk actually means Lie Lie in a months time.
As an aside, they need to update their on hold music.

Bros - When Will I be Famous.
Bonnie Tyler - Total Eclipse Of The Heart.
Foreigner - I've Been Waitng For A Girl Like You.
And countless other awful 70's and 80's songs.
You have my sincere sympathy.
Probably going to half, in fact probably less than a 1/4 of my current bill. moving to Virgin with the staff discount.

Just trying to make up my mind between 50meg or 100 meg.
 Just halved my broadband bill (well almost half) - BobbyG
Go for the new 120 meg that Virgin emailed me about last week and then sent another email 2 hours later saying it had been sent in error!
Depending on where you are, you will soon get 120Mbps if you're on 100Mbps at the moment. But if you're on the 30Mbps tariff you'd go to 60Mbps.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Mon 16 Jan 12 at 16:09
 Just halved my broadband bill (well almost half) - Crankcase
Define "soon".

Mine is allegedly March/April (going from 20 to 60, although goodness knows what you're supposed to do with that speed. Won't make any odds to me anyway), but some are reporting times of the end of 2013.

Find out the plan for your postcode here.

doublespeed.virginmedia.com/
 Just halved my broadband bill (well almost half) - spamcan61
w00t

Out here in the backwoods, Plusnet have just sent me an email stating that my BB will be upgraded from 8 meg to 22 within the next couple of weeks, at no cost.

Wow! this is almost like living in the 21st century! What next??? Pavements???? Streetlights??? Fire????
 Just halved my broadband bill (well almost half) - madf
Virgin upgrade to 20mbps is due October. I don't think my PC could cope with that data input...

And I certainly don't watch enough to justify it..
 Just halved my broadband bill (well almost half) - spamcan61
>>
>> And I certainly don't watch enough to justify it..
>>

To be honest I'm not fussed about the download speed increase, I'm hoping there's a proportionate increase in upload speed, as backing stuff up to my Skydrive account takes forever at the current 0.37Mbs.
 Just halved my broadband bill (well almost half) - Dog
I've recently bin upgraded, to 3Mbps.

:D
 Just halved my broadband bill (well almost half) - smokie
Virgin are doubling my speed later this year, to 60 mbps
I bet BT lift the cap a bit on their Infinity product later this year too.
>> In the end I accepted 3 months free (the 2 months I was originally promised,
>> plus the additional offer of another month), £10 credited back to me, and 9 months
>> @ £10.31.
>>
>> We'll see if Talk Talk actually means Lie Lie in a months time.

Yep. Lie Lie.

I've had my 3 free months as promised, now TT have said they'll be taking £15.31 by direct debit from my bank on the 27th April.

Seems they've forgotten about the £5 discount they offered me. Sigh!!

Another phone call to the useless morons coming up.
You have my sincere sympathy, DD.
>> Another phone call to the useless morons coming up.

Still no further forward after spending 20 mins on the phone to them.
All they have said is that £5 discount should have been applied but hasn't. I knew that already, duh!
They also noticed that I didn't receive the £10 credit onto my account for the last cock up.
Fortunately all this is all noted down on my account, so they can't deny it.
They are trying to find the person who made all these promises and will get him to call me. Other than what's noted down on my account, he's hardly likely to remember the conversation I had with him 3 months ago.

I would not recommend Talk Talk to my worst enemy.
I am fairly sure they don't want you as a customer either, they prefer ones that pay the advertised price, the one they costed the service on?
>> I am fairly sure they don't want you as a customer either, they prefer ones
>> that pay the advertised price, the one they costed the service on?

Then they shouldn't make offers and promises they cannot honour if they don't want my custom.
>>They are trying to find the person who made all these promises and will get him to call me.

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha. Rolls on floor, and all that!

Don't call us, we'll call you...
>> £5 discount should have been applied but hasn't. I knew that already, duh!
>> They also noticed that I didn't receive the £10 credit onto my account for the
>> last cock up.
>> Fortunately all this is all noted down on my account, so they can't deny it.
>> They are trying to find the person who made all these promises and will get
>> him to call me.

Well, I never received a phone call back within 48 hours.
£15.31 was taken by DD yesterday from my account instead of £10.31

Yet another phone call to Talk Talk today. Pushed from pillar to post yet again. Eventually got put through to the complaints department (which is UK based and not overseas). The bloke was very sympathetic as he's dealt with numerous billing complaints that TT's overseas offices were unable to resolve despite loads of promises.
He explained that although there is a £5 discount added to my account monthly, the billing computer doesn't see it and takes £15.31 instead of £10.31. There is no method of telling the computer to implement the discount.
What he's now done is give me another 3 months free broadband, and added £25 credit to the account.
My brain aches, but according to my man maths after he explained things, I should have got £5 discount per month for 9 months (£45).
As explained, the computer can't handle discounts, so the extra 3 months free equates to £45.93, which covers the discount I should have received.
The £25 credit is to compensate for all the messing around; although it's actually only £15 credit because I never received the previous £10 credit from them.
Providing they get it right this time, then I'm happy with the final outcome.
>> Currently paying Pipex £14.99 for up to 8 meg and capped at 40GB per month.
>>
>> BT have been on the phone offering BB for £12.99 for up to 8 meg
>> and capped at 10GB per month.

Did you have to change your email address?
Last edited by: L'escargot on Tue 24 Apr 12 at 10:01
>> Did you have to change your email address?

Nope. I am still using my Freeserve email address that I've had for over 10 years. Pipex did give me another one, but I rarely use it.
>> >> Did you have to change your email address?
>>
>> Nope. I am still using my Freeserve email address ..........

The next question is .......... did you have to make any arrangements/changes to enable you to keep your Freeserve email address?
>> did you have to make any arrangements/changes to enable you to keep your Freeserve email address?

I have to periodically log into Freeserve with an 0845 number (via a dial up modem) to keep the account from getting suspended. If I forget and it does get suspended, then there is a "restore account" link on the Orange website. Only have to do it something like once every 180 days. I tend to err on the side of caution and do it every 90 days though.

EDIT:- just found this on the Orange website

"retrieve a dormant Pay As You Go account
You'll need to reactivate your Pay As You Go account if it has not been used for 219 days. If you have not used your Pay As You Go account in the last 259 days, it will be deleted and you will need to re-register."

This is the site I visit to restore the account if it becomes suspended.
membercentre.orange.co.uk/MCPres/login.do
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 24 Apr 12 at 10:37
>> I have to periodically log into Freeserve with an 0845 number (via a dial up
>> modem) to keep the account from getting suspended. If I forget and it does get
>> suspended, then there is a "restore account" link on the Orange website. Only have to
>> do it something like once every 180 days. I tend to err on the side
>> of caution and do it every 90 days though.

I think it's the "dial-up modem bit" which will stymie me. I've still got my old SpeedTouch 330 modem but you can't dial a number on it. Am I talking rubbish?

>> "retrieve a dormant Pay As You Go account
>> You'll need to reactivate your Pay As You Go account if it has not been
>> used for 219 days. If you have not used your Pay As You Go account
>> in the last 259 days, it will be deleted and you will need to re-register."
>>
>> This is the site I visit to restore the account if it becomes suspended.
>> membercentre.orange.co.uk/MCPres/login.do
>>

I logged into the site but it was all about my Simply Broadband account.
>> I think it's the "dial-up modem bit" which will stymie me. I've still got my
>> old SpeedTouch 330 modem but you can't dial a number on it. Am I talking
>> rubbish?

Your speedtouch modem is a broadband one, so no you won't be able to use it.

I use the old internal 56k one inside my desktop, and manually configured a dial up connection.

>> I logged into the site but it was all about my Simply Broadband account.

Probably because you still have an account with them, which I don't.
 Just halved my broadband bill (well almost half) - smokie
If changing your email address is a problem, consider buying your own domain, mine are with 1and1 and my only use for them is to forward mail to wherever my real mail address is at that time - so when I change ISP, I have to do a 1 minute change behind the scenes but my mail address is the same for everyone whoever I'm with.

I recently bought a UK domain name and it was less than £3 a year, IIRC.
Thanks, smokie. I think I'm getting a litle more to grips with what I would/will have to do.
Latest Forum Posts