Computer Related > 10 GB download in 24 hours Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 35

10 GB download in 24 hours - bathtub tom
I was interested in how much I download as I'm thinking of changing supplier, so I downloaded Tautology Bandwidth yesterday.

I find I've downloaded 10GB and uploaded 5GB in the last 24 hours.

I look into one other forum, do a bit of banking and have two e-mail addresses. SWMBO has two e-mail addresses, Facebook and quite a bit of shopping (sigh).

We don't download films or anything similar.

Does this seem like a high level of data transfer? I generally get 3 Mbps speed.

Should I be worried about what's being sent and received that I don't know about?
 10 GB download in 24 hours - RattleandSmoke
There is no way you could use 10GB without knowing about it. I would download Wireshark and study the TCP packets to see what your are sending and recieving. You will need a good understanding of TCP/IP for this though and you can't post the logs on the internet due to security reasons.

I suspect the program isn't working properly. If you were sending out that much spam your ISP would have banned you by now!

Edit I really don't understand for the life of me how you could upload 5gb either in one day. Your upload speed is only around 512kbps on ADSL probably.
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Wed 17 Nov 10 at 16:29
 10 GB download in 24 hours - Bagpuss
This might belong in the pedants thread, but I don't think it's physically possible to download 10GB and upload 5GB in 24 hours on a 3Mbps link. Are you sure it's not 10Gb(bits rather than bytes)? As a comparison, 10GB is more than 2 complete DVDs.
 10 GB download in 24 hours - diddy1234
I don't think it is possible to download that much data in a 24 hour period with a 3MBps connection either.

However, I do stress that web sites like Facebook do actually use alot of bandwidth when you factor in the live updates (built in chat and wall threads etc).

I have a 10mb connection and can instantly tell if I am watching you tube videos and one of the kids goes to facebook on their pc then the buffering slows right down
 10 GB download in 24 hours - Crankcase
5GB up in 24 hours is doable, just - back of the envelope calculates that out as about 480kbps I think.

Some kind of bit torrenty peer to peer software installed the OP doesn't remember installing, or doesn't know about perhaps?

Didn't early versions of the iplayer use peer to peer?
This why a view of the TCP/IP packets is needed as you can see instantly what is going on. Facebook dosn't use that much really but it would be possible if you spend a few hours on it to consume a few hundered megabytes.
 10 GB download in 24 hours - spamcan61
Gosh those figures are huge, with 4 of us surfing at Spamcan towers, including to Facebook addicts, it's well under 1GB a day down and a few 100K up.

That's a DVD's worth of data uploaded from your computer per day.

Hopefully it's the bandwidth usage counter that's screwy here.
 10 GB download in 24 hours - AnotherJohnH
Is your connection wireless and open?

If so you might have somebody "piggy backing", or whatever the current phrase is, on your connection....
But the software only measures how much they are using on that PC dosn't it rather than at the router.
 10 GB download in 24 hours - rtj70
If you download a high definition programme off iPlayer that would be about a Gb. But 10Gb sounds like a huge amount and I wonder if the software installed is reporting the right value.

I use network attached storage at home so often have large amounts of data going to/from my Mac so I wonder if you have anything else communicating with something else.

I'd be installing a network sniffer to investigate what traffic there is on the network - you could be running something you are unaware of.

But if you really used 10Gb/day, everyday your ISP would be writing to you very quickly. My broadband package is not unlimited (none of them are) but I think the trigger point is 40Gb/month.

As for could you download 10Gb in 24 hours with a 3Mbit/s connection, then yes you could. If I maxed out my connection I could download that much in around 40 minutes.
 10 GB download in 24 hours - John H
>> As for could you download 10Gb in 24 hours with a 3Mbit/s connection, then yes
>> you could.

Now try and explain how he is uploading 5GB in 24 hours with his claimed usage pattern.

10 GB download in 24 hours - rtj70
I concentrated on commenting on downloads because he didn't mention upload speed achieved. Whilst Icould upload that much in less than an hour and a half he probably won't normally.

He may be talking bits instead of bytes but his described usage suggests it could well be something else. Or the figures are just wrong.
>> I find I've downloaded 10GB and uploaded 5GB in the last 24 hours.
>>

Are you sure of your Giga, Mega, Bytes, and Bits in the above figures?

>> Does this seem like a high level of data transfer? I generally get 3 Mbps
>> speed.
>>
>> Should I be worried about what's being sent and received that I don't know about?
>>

It is a high level based on your stated normal usage pattern. However, if you are certain that it is definitely GB - and not Gb or MB or Mb you are talking about - then a remote possibility is that your PC was hijacked by a spambot and is being used as a server:
www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=2630&m=70871

p.s. why not check your ISP account (login in to check it online) to see how much they think you are using (as you were advised to do in another thread by Suppose yesterday).

Last edited by: John H on Wed 17 Nov 10 at 17:58
zdnet speed tester says I'm getting just over 3Mbps (3366 kbps).

Tautology Bandwidth Meter v1.8 says: 9.82 GB download, 5.06 GB upload.

I've taken care to use their capitalisation.

The only internet connection I've got is a PC. I've a Netgear router. The wireless facility is switched OFF.

I'll have to do some learning to check my ISP account. I'll try.

If these figures are correct, wouldn't my PC be 'treacle mode'.
 10 GB download in 24 hours - Zero

>> If these figures are correct, wouldn't my PC be 'treacle mode'.

If those figures are correct, you ISP would have cut you off by now.
 10 GB download in 24 hours - Stuartli
Something is definitely amiss. Are you using the correct source (Ethernet network device or as appropriate) in the configuration?

My current TBM reading for the monthly DS total (November) is 2.52GB and 17.62GB since the beginning of August (new system).
 10 GB download in 24 hours - Dog
This has probably been advised previously but - why not log on to your ISP's site and check your exact usage.
My ISP directed me to this: www.hageltech.com/dumeter/about

I've downloaded and run it, but I don't understand quite what it's telling me.
>> My ISP

and the ISP is ..... ?

I find the free Netmeter 1.1.4 is excellent at its job. Get it here
www.metal-machine.de/readerror/
www.metal-machine.de/readerror/index.php?action=tpmod;dl=item23

Last edited by: John H on Wed 17 Nov 10 at 23:35
 10 GB download in 24 hours - Stuartli
>> This has probably been advised previously but - why not log on to your ISP's site and check your exact usage.>>

That's a senisble suggestion, but in the case of TalkTalk's Bandwidth Usage Meter on its website (My Accounts) it only goes up in 1GB steps and, for some subscribers, has been wildly over the mark for several months.

In my case it was due to the TT Labs' Desktop Utility (it undertakes scheduled speed tests) was failing to shut down after a test on occasions.

During July I "used" as much in one day as in a normal month of the 40GB allowance. Once I had started doing manual speed tests the problem disappeared.

But many others don't use this particular utility....

TalkTalk has acknowledged the problem of inaccurate bandwidth usage recording and has suspended any action at present it might have taken over those going well over their allowance.
 10 GB download in 24 hours - Dog
I've just checked my Broadband usage with Plusnet (usually don't bother) and I've used 2GB so far this month out of my 10GB allowance which sounds about right.

Their Broadband usage tool is very detailed.
 10 GB download in 24 hours - ....
Why not use the tools the OS comes with as a first step ?

If you look at the Network Connection Status you should see Sent and Received figures in the Activity section. If Tautology is correct then both figures should be incrementing like a chav's electric meter with the Christmas lights switched on.
Perhaps I've solved it: tinyurl.com/32tyqp7 ;>)
>> Perhaps I've solved it: tinyurl.com/32tyqp7 ;>)
>>

Seriously though, as per my first reply to you at 17.56 yesterday, you have said previously that your hotmail account was hijacked, and so it is quite possible the Chinese are using your PC as a botnet server.

Last edited by: John H on Thu 18 Nov 10 at 10:24
>> >> Perhaps I've solved it: tinyurl.com/32tyqp7 ;>)
>> >>
>>
>> Seriously though, as per my first reply to you at 17.56 yesterday, you have said
>> previously that your hotmail account was hijacked, and so it is quite possible the Chinese
>> are using your PC as a botnet server.
>>
>>
Agreed, if you really have uploaded 5GB of lord knows what data in 24 hrs. then a botnet seems the most likely explanation.
 10 GB download in 24 hours - L'escargot
It's not relevant to bathtub tom's problem, except that I have Tautology Bandwidth installed as well. My question is ......... in which of the three interfaces that are monitored should I be most interested?

(Sorry bathtub tom, I'll butt out when I get an answer.)

All my figures for today are in either KB or MB, so tom's 5 GB seems high.

>> It's not relevant to bathtub tom's problem, except that I have Tautology Bandwidth installed as

Change over to Netmeter. Much better, and allows you to set alarms for daily/weekly/monthly limits if you are worried about exceeding your ISP contractual allowance.

I've looked at Netmeter, but doesn't it do the same as DU meter? Apart from the fact I don't know which version to install:

Softpedia Mirror (US) - Beta [EXE]
Softpedia Mirror (RO) [EXE]

I've sniffed around control panel, but can't see how to look at my 'Network Connection Status'. Guidance would be appreciated.

I've uninstalled Tautology Bandwidth as I can't believe the figures.

I've looked in Task Manager and I'm using 5-20% of my CPU. Wouldn't a Botnet make it busier? I switch my router off every night.

I've got AVG and run another full scan (it's scheduled weekly) - nothing found.

All I wanted to do was see my monthly download figures before looking around other ISPs. I'm currently with Virgin.
What OS are you using ?
>> What OS are you using ?

Vista Home Basic

SWMBO use IE8 in one window, I use Firefox in another.
Last edited by: bathtub tom {p} on Thu 18 Nov 10 at 15:57
>> Vista Home Basic
>>
>> SWMBO use IE8 in one window, I use Firefox in another.
>>
Bottom right corner in the task bar should be what looks like two monitors, right click and the bottom option should be something like open network manager.
Click on this option. A window will open showing a graphic of your computer linked to the modem/router then out to t'interweb.
Under this on the is a reference to the connection. Click on this and it will open the network connection window I was talking about earlier. The bottom half of this screen shows the Activity.
The above is from memory so actual screen content may vary slightly.
 10 GB download in 24 hours - Zero
>> will open the network connection window I was talking about earlier. The bottom half of
>> this screen shows the Activity.

The activity through the physical interface, and LAN not the internet.

Which is probably where the issue is, is the OP transferring files or playing media from the PC's on the LAN?
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 18 Nov 10 at 16:16
>> I've looked at Netmeter, but doesn't it do the same as DU meter? Apart from
>> the fact I don't know which version to install:
>>
>> Softpedia Mirror (US) - Beta [EXE]
>> Softpedia Mirror (RO) [EXE]

As I said, I think it is a much better design and does a lot more than DU meter. Try it. It allows you to choose which interface to monitor, including this default catch all "All interfaces (no, loopback, no duplicates) " which should do it for you. It reports usage in MiB, GiB, etc.

Use this NetMeter 1.1.4 BETA by "readerror"
www.metal-machine.de/readerror/index.php?action=tpmod;dl=item23

>>
>> I've looked in Task Manager and I'm using 5-20% of my CPU. Wouldn't a Botnet
>> make it busier? I switch my router off every night.
>>
Good, if you're switching the router off every night that makes the 10/5GB even more implausible, hence dodgy netmeter more likely than botnet.
 10 GB download in 24 hours - AnotherJohnH
ISTR yuor router is netgear.

You can see a lot of information about it by typing

into your web browser

the log on, (user name, and password) unless you've changed it is

admin
password

drag the slider between the router status and the router status help to the bottom, then click the "show statistics" button.

This will give stuff like this, but better tabulated:

System Up Time 14:04:07
Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
WAN PPPoE 53270 62328 0 261 1245 14:03:25
LAN 100M/Full 13911 6 0 87 0 14:04:03
WLAN 11M/54M 72998 74465 0 1309 371 14:03:54

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 1440 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 60 db 15.5 db
Noise Margin 7 db 18 db

the left hand slider at the bottom gives log out.
Last edited by: AnotherJohnH on Thu 18 Nov 10 at 18:57
Here's a screen grab of similar data which may be easier to comprehend:-

tinypic.com/r/2aep9jr/7

my highlighting of the important numbers.
Latest Forum Posts