Computer Related > idle broadband usage Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Focusless Replies: 49

idle broadband usage - Focusless
Having to use a PAYG broadband dongle until BT line reconnected at new house (this afternoon hopefully), so I'm keeping an eye on broadband usage on my laptop. And there's what appears to be a constant drip of approx. 30k bytes per second. Not a massive amount, but I can see my 3GB allowance gradually being eroded without doing anything.

Any ideas what's causing it and if it can be stopped? It happens even with the browser closed (it's the Vodafone broadband app that's displaying the usage) and nothing else obvious (eg. no email client or skype) in the task bar.

Is it just Windows XP connection maintenance or suchlike?
...and I did start downloading Wireshark but it was very slow and I didn't like the way my usage was going up. So if anyone has any ideas that don't involve downloading it...
 idle broadband usage - spamcan61
I would imagine these dongles set up a continuous PDP context whilst 'on air' so I would expect some data usage even when idle, maybe a burst every few minutes. A continuous 30k does sound a bit odd though. I do recall reading some usage stats. for dongles on a 4G blog site somewhere so I'll see if I can dig it out.

EDIT: Ooh Wireshark, looks like I might have to get to grips with that again:-/
Last edited by: spamcan61 on Mon 22 Nov 10 at 11:08
 idle broadband usage - Iffy
Iffy treads carefully into computer waters....

I think my Orange dongle shows a similar trickle of constant data use when there's no browser open.

The program is called Internet Everywhere and the on-screen box has live links to my account, messages, cumulative usage and so on.

Presumably some data use is required to keep that ticking over.

>> Presumably some data use is required to keep that ticking over.

I think it only needs to talk to the USB dongle to monitor the usage, and the other things would only require at most intermittent polling (EDIT) unless you actually clicked on them and used them.
Last edited by: Focus on Mon 22 Nov 10 at 11:22
 idle broadband usage - Stuartli
It's the same with a standard modem router - you have uploading as well as downloading, such as requests to download a web page.
>> It's the same with a standard modem router - you have uploading as well as
>> downloading, such as requests to download a web page.

Not if there's no browser open!
>>Not if there's no browser open!>>

Er no....

It can be programs or utilities checking for updates - for example my AV - Avast! - updates itself first thing when I switch on the system and quite often there's a WindowsUpdate arrival.

These are obviously only done after an initial update check.
Last edited by: Stuartli on Mon 22 Nov 10 at 13:22
 idle broadband usage - VxFan
Can you not just pull the dongle out of the USB socket when you're not using it?
>> Can you not just pull the dongle out of the USB socket when you're not
>> using it?

Even easier, just click on 'disconnect' on the Vodafone app. Yes, I could, but I'm working from home today, so should really be in contact pretty much all the time. Probably ok to take a bit of time to respond to an email, but I don't really want to miss a skype call.
 idle broadband usage - devonite
>>Not if there's no browser open!<<

even when my computer (connected to router by lan cable) is turned off, the "lan" and "internet" lights often flash as if something is trying to access the router or the router is doing something. i`d like to know whats going on too!
Hopefully the question is now academic - nice Mr BT Openreach is fitting new socket as I type this...
>> nice Mr BT Openreach is fitting new socket as I type this...

14.4kbps! After the 2kbps we used to get at the old place, that's a result :)
>>14.4kbps! After the 2kbps we used to get at the old place, that's a result :)>>

I do hope it's somewhat better than that - vastly better.....:-))

idle broadband usage - Tooslow
2kbps? You'd never see the Google home screen at 2k. I've got my doubts about 14.4. You sure? Have you tried speedtest.net or similar?

John
Ahem - just checking you were paying attention. Obviously I mean 14.4Mbps :)
BTW chap moving into old place wasn't bothered about the 2Mbps limit on the BT line - he's a Virgin project manager and is getting a Virgin 100Mbps connection!
I wished I hadn't asked now :-(

Still, it must be nice for you, living in the exchange? :-)

John
>> Still, it must be nice for you, living in the exchange? :-)

:)

It's strange - we were only ~3 miles from the exchange previously. We haven't moved far (~1 mile?), but presumably we're on a different one, and yes you'd assume it's pretty close. But I don't know where it is.
samknows.com will tell you, though I suspect you're not bothered since it's working nicely.

John
>> samknows.com will tell you, though I suspect you're not bothered since it's working nicely.

Thanks - I'm curious so had a look, and it is quite close - less than 0.8 miles according to google maps. That would explain it.
 idle broadband usage - Zero
Mine has now negotiated itself up to 10gb, and I am getting 8.9gb

not bad for an "upto" 8gb service.
 idle broadband usage - John H
>> Mine has now negotiated itself up to 10gb, and I am getting 8.9gb
>>
>> not bad for an "upto" 8gb service.
>>

all taltalk/tiscali/opal customers are supposedly getting automatic upgrades to "up to 24Meg". As Stuartli has said in the past, go to the talktalk user forum and they will tweak your exchange settings for you tog ive you the best possible speed, etc.

That is my "tweek"

Its gone up again, now negotiated at 11.5mb, downloading at 10.25.mb
>> not bad for an "upto" 8gb service.

8gb? Glad I'm not the only one :)
Last edited by: Focus on Mon 22 Nov 10 at 16:48
>>not bad for an "upto" 8Mb service. >>

More likely that you are on an "Up to 24Mb" service now (ASDL2+).

Could be worth changing your router's configuration to ADSL2+....

I went from around 6.5Mb on average to 14Mb average when TalkTalk switched to "Up to 24Mb" a while back, delivered by a new Dell system; ironically the "old" system (networked) still tops that by 1.5Mb to 2Mb..:-)

Have you tried TCPOptimiser and also the Tweak Test?

www.dslreports.com/tweaks (it will give guidance on the RWIN settings range to try; TCPOptimser can be used to change them).

Last edited by: Stuartli on Mon 22 Nov 10 at 18:15
>>Hopefully the question is now academic - nice Mr BT Openreach is fitting new socket as I type this... >>

I had a Master Socket ADSL faceplate fitted by an OpenReach engineer at the time he was sorting out a noisy phone line - means you can throw away all your ADSL splitters/filters...:-)

Dispensing with these filters, which tend to deteriorate over time and thus affect download speeds, is a welcome bonus. You also cut out the varying quality of such filters, which again can cut speeds quite markedly.
Last edited by: Stuartli on Mon 22 Nov 10 at 18:23
Don't you have to plug your router into the master socket though?

John
Yes. I'm talking about a Master Socket Faceplate, which filters the phone and broadband from the start, rather than via an ADSL splitter/filter.

See:

solwise.co.uk/adsl_splitters-faceplates.htm
>> Don't you have to plug your router into the master socket though?
>>
>> John
>>

It would seem to be a disadvantage of that split faceplate that if your ADSL modem is a long way from the master socket you'll need extra wiring from the master socket, rather than using one combined phone/ADSL extension cable then splitting the two close to the modem.
 idle broadband usage - rtj70
If anyone goes for BT Infinity you also get a new face plate. And from this runs a CAT5 cable to the VDSL modem. This can be elsewhere and BT Openreach will run this cable for you (even via outside cable run) through the wall.

Mine is upstairs and the CAT5 runs a short distance up from the hall to a phone socket (but it's not a phone socket as such) to my home office where the VDSL modem and BT Homehub resides.
>..if your ADSL modem is a long way from the master socket >>

About 10 feet...:-)

>> Dispensing with these filters, which tend to deteriorate over time and thus affect download speeds,
>> is a welcome bonus. You also cut out the varying quality of such filters, which
>> again can cut speeds quite markedly.
>>

How do these filters affect your broadband signal?
Well after initial jubilation at getting 14Mbps (which is what the BT Openreach installer said I could get), I'm now a bit worried that speedtests yesterday and early this morning (6am) showed a download speed of 4.5Mbps. It looked pretty stable at that speed, but then it looked quite stable at 14Mbps a couple of days ago. Nothing has changed in the setup since then.

Is this part of the initial 'negotiation', or should I contact O2?
If this is rate adaptive ADSL I'd wait a week for it to settle down.
>> If this is rate adaptive ADSL

I hope so :)
most are, - you need to wait.
>> most are, - you need to wait.

O2 have confirmed that there's 5-10 days of 'line training', after which they send a text to indicate they've finished.
Try turning the modem router off for a while; usually overnight and switching on first thing in the morning gives the best result.

This often improves the bandwidth figures, which you can check via the router's configuration before and after the switch off.
I did that when I changed to rate adaptive ADSL, my download speed then dropped to 100K, upload was still 300K so my ADSL was actually asymmetric the wrong way round :-/
>> Try turning the modem router off for a while; usually overnight and switching on first
>> thing in the morning gives the best result.
>>

I thought that the usual technical advice was to leave the router on continuously to allow it to negotiate up to the best possible speed.

>> >> Try turning the modem router off for a while; usually overnight and switching on
>> first
>> >> thing in the morning gives the best result.
>> >>
>>
>> I thought that the usual technical advice was to leave the router on continuously to
>> allow it to negotiate up to the best possible speed.
>>
Correct, if you turn the router off then the rate adaption algorithm thinks ' whoops, no response from router, must try again at a lower speed'; and then continues in a downward spiral. That's how I ended up at 100K down 300K up.

Maybe some DSLAMs have smarter algorithms these days.
>>I thought that the usual technical advice was to leave the router on continuously to allow it to negotiate up to the best possible speed.>>

That is the usual adaptive rate advice, but I've found that I can often improve the Up and Downstream bandwidth figures by about five to 10 per cent if I switch off the modem router for a while and then on again about once a month or so.

As I have at least four different routers in the past six months (upgrades and TT trials) I've had a bit of experience in this field...:-)

Also, as I've mentioned before, requesting the OCEs at the TT Members' Forums to establish your fastest, most stable profile brings the biggest benefits in outright speed returns. I'm on the fastest possible profile at present, 24SNR6i.
Last edited by: Stuartli on Fri 26 Nov 10 at 19:11
>> As I have at least four different routers in the past six months (upgrades and TT trials) I've had a bit of experience in this field...:-)

The expert rules. :-)

>> the fastest possible profile at present, 24SNR6i.
>>

You've mentioned something like that a few weeks ago. No mention of "24SNR6i" on talktalk forums, though.

Oh yes there are - here are two examples of many:

talktalkmembers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=15531

www.talktalkmembers.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-35756.html

Also:

www.paulwills.talktalk.net/Profiles.htm
Last edited by: Stuartli on Sat 27 Nov 10 at 13:09
>> Oh yes there are - here are two examples of many:
>>

Oh no, there isn't.
No mention of "24SNR6i" in any of those links. Note the quotation marks.

Last edited by: John H on Sat 27 Nov 10 at 14:28
>>No mention of "24SNR6i" in any of those links. Note the quotation marks>>

The "i" is for interleaved (more stable) and an "f" for fastpath - the latter is often preferred by gamers. Both variants are listed in the columns of the first link, I'd transposed the "i" to the end rather than after the 24.

Normally interleaved is the default.

Last edited by: Stuartli on Sat 27 Nov 10 at 14:53
>> >>I thought that the usual technical advice was to leave the router on continuously to
>> allow it to negotiate up to the best possible speed.>>
>>
>> That is the usual adaptive rate advice, but I've found that I can often improve
>> the Up and Downstream bandwidth figures by about five to 10 per cent if I
>> switch off the modem router for a while and then on again about once a
>> month or so.

If you turn it off then on once a week that fine, leave it off for a while tho.

Its if you turn off and on a lot in a short period of time, the error counts raises an alert and tries to resolve the issue by kicking your speed downhill.
>>Its if you turn off and on a lot in a short period of time, the error counts raises an alert and tries to resolve the issue by kicking your speed downhill. >>

I did state about once a month, which is OK.
 idle broadband usage - Roger.
Skype uses peer to peer, so if it's open you might be helping other users to talk to their mates.
Latest Forum Posts