Computer Related > Hotmail suggested "To" name Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Tooslow Replies: 5

Hotmail suggested "To" name - Tooslow
Help!

I dont use any client email software on my netbook, I just connect to the Hotmail website. If I create a new email and start typing in the "To" address it comes up with email addresses which I don't know. They are not in my Contacts. I think, but I'm not sure, that they are names from emails with distribution lists which I have received.

Any ideas on how I can clear them please? The problem doesn't occur on the main pc where I use Live Mail client.
John
 Hotmail suggested "To" name - John H
The "automatic address completion" feature in Hotmail is said to this
"When composing a new message, customers can select from a list of names in their Contact list once they begin to type the recipient’s name."

In that case, the names are not in your contact list shouldn't get picked up.
You could try asking here
windowslivehelp.com/solutions.aspx?productid=1

Hotmail suggested "To" name - sherlock47
Could it be that you have at sometime gone 'reply all' and it picked up the other email addresses automatically.
Good idea but I'm not a "reply all" kind of person. Never was when I worked. They're not in the "contacts" which also bangs that idea on the head (?).

I've posted on the Hotmail Help, I'll just have to see if anyone comes up with anything.

John
Well, I've continued looking. I didn't just lob the qn in here, I did spend quite some time Googling and, as far as I can find... that's the way it works.

I'm surprised it's taken me so long to notice, but I usually email from the main pc with Windows Live Mail client. It seems that if you use the web interface, any address in any email that has passed your way can be suggested, not just those from your Contacts. Which seems daft but there you are. :-(

John
and someone has helpfully posted on Hotmail Help;

Under Options, More Options;
Advanced privacy settings
Auto-complete suggestions
As you search for people or add them to a message, we'll suggest possible matches. You can choose which suggestions appear.

Give suggestions for anyone I've communicated with (contacts and non-contacts)
Only suggest people in my contact list

I think I should have found this myself (red face) :-(

John
Latest Forum Posts