Computer Related > Broadband cuts off when 'phone rings Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 36

Broadband cuts off when 'phone rings - bathtub tom
My ISP has given me the opportunity to upgrade from 1Meg via a modem to the 3Meg I'm now getting via a router (it took me two days to sort it out).

My old connection always used to drop out whenever the 'phone rang and the new does the same.

Any suggestions as to how I can stop it happening?
 Broadband cuts off when 'phone rings - Focusless
Just to cover the basics - are you using micro filters on your sockets?
www.amazon.co.uk/Micro-Filter-Broadband-ADSL-Router/dp/B000NPA53Y
 Broadband cuts off when 'phone rings - John H
Fit a BT-i-plate or XTF-85 or XTE-2005
www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopSearch.asp?CategoryID=24
www.thinkbroadband.com/tools/bt-master-socket.html
Sorry! Should've said. All three 'phones have filters.

It's been suggested I should disconnect the 'ringing' wires from the master to extension sockets. I understand only two wires are necessary for modern 'phones - don't read my profile, it's more than than forty years since I dealt with the smelly customer end!
 Broadband cuts off when 'phone rings - pete4344
I had this problem when I first got broadband. It was diagnosed as a high resistance connection between here and the exchange. BT sorted this (through the ISP) and it's been perfect since.
 Broadband cuts off when 'phone rings - Dog
Scuse the drift but I've been with plusnet for the last year ~ www.plus.net/
and with 10GB useage for £5-99 a month, I reckon they are worth a mench.
 Broadband cuts off when 'phone rings - Bellboy
had the dropout at work last month
finally traced it to either a hong kon fluey extension lead or the connecters innit were glazed over with fog
anyway a new poundland extension later (cant remember how much it was) and everything is tickety boo,or as tickety boo as it can be on a line you have to rent of bt because they have a monopoly
I found out about plusnet too late.

Virgin were about to increase my £10/month 1Meg broadband to £13 when I lost my connection altogether. They then offered me 'up to' 8Meg, router and free evening and weekend calls for a one off £20 and £7.50/month.
>>>offered me 'up to' 8Meg, router and free evening and weekend calls for a one off £20 and £7.50/month.<<<

That sounds well nice lootub, plusnet are now part of BT as you obviously know.
I pay about £20 per month for the broadband, line rental and eve & weekend calls.
>>plusnet are now part of BT

I didn't know that - interesting!

I'm also paying BT line rental.
>>>I'm also paying BT line rental.<<<

So you pay about the same as me then = approx £20 in all + any daytime calls.
>>So you pay about the same as me then = approx £20 in all + any daytime calls.

About £20 but only evening and weekend national calls.
>>> About £20 but only evening and weekend national calls. <<<

Sorry bathseat - I meant to say that I pay extra for daytime calls.
 Broadband cuts off when 'phone rings - spamcan61
I'm the kiss of death with ISPs, I was with Pipex - then Tiscali took over and it all went horribly wrong; so I switched to Plusnet - then BT took them over. Hasn't gone horribly wrong - yet...
>>>I'm the kiss of death with ISPs<<<

At least y'all not with AO~hell Aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!
 Plusnet - car4play
We were with Plusnet because the package looked good. Then we realised that they do "traffic shaping". This is where they restrict the traffic on non-standard ports because they assume you must be a gamer or hacker or something else undesireable. The first time I noticed was when we ssh (secure shell) into our servers and all was ok for a while and then it went horribly slow. I mean so slow you couldn't even type and see letters appear. Only then did they admit to shaping traffic on ports. It was very close to being deceptive because they claimed they did not block any ports and that was the basis on which we signed up. But to shape the traffic so heavily it became unusable was paramount to blocking it. It was a bit like saying that the M25 is open, but then only letting one car through every minute.
Needless to say we had to leave them and pay the termination penalty. Luckily they reduced this to £30 instead of making it the fee of remaining months until end of contract.

However, that all said, if you are only web sufing, emailing and a bit of ftp perhaps, then they are perfectly fine.
 Plusnet - Dog
>>>It was a bit like saying that the M25 is open, but then only letting one car through every minute.<<<

(Hehe!) nice one ... Yes, I have read about that on ISP review etc, and there has been a few times when I've had to switch orf because it was sooooo slow, but that's only a few times in the last year and - as you say, its perfectly fine for general use, youtubes etc. for £5-99 ... if they gave me any ag, I'd be on me toe's!
 Plusnet - rtj70
My ISP (Virgin Media on cable) throttle if you exceed fair usage thresholds in a day. They used to anyway. But the limit is fairly high and you had to download several Gb within a particular period to trigger this. And then it would reset a few hours later.

And before anyone wonders how I occasionally tripped this legally, the DVD images for software I use for work are often 4Gb+ and there's more than one to download.
 Plusnet - Stuartli
TalkTalk beats 'em hollow:

broadband.talktalk.co.uk/products/broadband/essentials

If you want AnyTime calls it's a small additional charge. Also TT is upping all LLU customers, old and new, to "Up to 24Mb" broadband at no extra charge over the next three months or so.
 Plusnet - Zero
They have put the price of my Internet and phone up AND put a cap on it since they took over from Tiscali. I have little good to say about Talk Talk.
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 17 Mar 10 at 15:58
 Plusnet - Dog
((( I have little good to say about Talk Talk.)))

Same here Re: AOHELL (Carphone Warehouse) :(
 Plusnet - Stuartli
Re Dog and Zero's comments on TalkTalk. I've been with TT since it introduced the "free" broadband and phone package in April 2006 and have nothing but praise for what has proved, both for me and several friends and family members, a top class service from the start.

Previously I'd been with WorldOnline before its Tiscali takeover, but the latter's gradual demise became such a nightmare that I took the decision to switch to TT. Ironically it ended up in the hands of TT, along with Pipex, once one of the UK's finest business and residential ISPs.
 Plusnet - Dog
>>> Re Dog and Zero's comments on TalkTalk <<<

My grief is with AOL Re: 'slamming' Stuart, and it is in the hands of Otelo at present.
I mentioned Carphone Warehouse simply because AOL, Talktalk and Tiscali,
are subsidiaries of said telecommunications co.
 Plusnet - Stuartli
When CPW took over AOL, it allowed it to retain its autonomy.

In fact, the original TT home page was later tied in with AOL until a few months ago when the TT page reverted to its own version again.
 Plusnet - Zero
>> Re Dog and Zero's comments on TalkTalk. I've been with TT since it introduced the
>> "free" broadband and phone package in April 2006 and have nothing but praise for what
>> has proved both for me and several friends and family members a top class service
>> from the start.

Alas your praise does not alter the fact they are putting up the cost of my broadband and reducing the service.
 Plusnet - John H

>> Alas your praise does not alter the fact they are putting up the cost of
>> my broadband and reducing the service.
>>

Martin Lewis of moneyexpert used to claim that talktalk had the cheapest bundle. Maybe not any more?

Plusnet - Stuartli
>>Alas your praise does not alter the fact they are putting up the cost of my broadband and reducing the service.>>

So what exactly are these changes to the pricing and service?
 Plusnet - Focusless
>> They have put the price of my Internet and phone up AND put a cap
>> on it since they took over from Tiscali.

We were also with Tiscali, but haven't been asked to change to a TalkTalk package, yet...
 Plusnet - Pat
I've been with Tiscali for years for broadband only, and now apparently am with Talk Talk.

I've had a letter saying my monthly payment is being reduced from £17.99 to £14.99.

This is after trying to 'upgrade' to a cheaper package with them only to find they now don't offer any broadband only packages.

I would love to change suppliers but my email address is on so much printed material as the contact for both the PDA and PDF charity so it's simply not an option.

Pat
 Plusnet - Focusless
>> I've been with Tiscali for years for broadband only and now apparently am with Talk
>> Talk.
>>
>> I've had a letter saying my monthly payment is being reduced from £17.99 to £14.99.

The Tiscali package we were on was originally only 0.5Mb (unlimited) because of the distance to the exchange, for £10. Later the speed increased to 2Mb, but the price stayed the same. I don't want to pay any more unless the speed can be increased, which I don't think it can.
 Plusnet - Pat
I had 45 minutes yesterday on the phone to Talk Talk/Tiscali to find that there is a technical fault on my account that means the price or package cannot be altered until this is removed.
I was shunted from Customer Service to accounts, who sent me to technical.
Technical then 'removed the fault on my account and shunted me back to accounts and then to customer service only to be told that the fault is still there and they can do nothing but put in a request for it to be rectified.

The 'fault' has been there since September 2009 and I have been trying to get this resolved since then with phone calls like the one above on a monthly basis.

I have written an 'official' letter of complaint to Tiscali and now suspect this might just end up at Ofcom.

Pat
Last edited by: pda on Fri 19 Mar 10 at 07:15
 Plusnet - Statistical Outlier
Pat,

I'd suggest that you start to plan to change your address in a couple of years time.

Get yourself a domain. You can buy one very cheaply, about £10 a year is about right. You can then set up email and web (if you want) on the domain, but more importantly, you can have the email go anywhere you want. So you can send it through to your Tiscali account should you wish.

That way, you can start to give out your own address (that you own) irrespective of who you access the internet through. Then it's a judgement as to when it would be safe to change over.

Very happy to help you with this if it would help - drop me a line.

Gord
 Plusnet - Pat
I do have a domain ( fenlandtraining.co.uk) and think I may be able to use it for this.
Must get off to work this morning but I would like advice later.
Thanks Gord!

Mods remove link if you want, I won't throw a wobbly:)

Pat
 Plusnet - Statistical Outlier
Morning Pat,

if you have the domain then you can use email, and there is no extra cost and only about 10 mins work to get it all set up. Happy to help you do it.

G
 Plusnet - Pat
Thanks a lot SO. I had a word with the webmaster who designed the website with me and he has set up email for me:)

All I have to do now is try and remember to use the new address and not my old one.....................and wait a while!

But it's a start and Tiscali phoned me on Friday to try and sort the problem out as well so things are moving in the right direction.

Pat
 Plusnet - John H
>>
>> All I have to do now is try and remember to use the new address
>> and not my old one.....................and wait a while!
>> Pat
>>

In case of the above eventuality, depending on which client you use, it may be possible to set all mail sent using your old email to automatically have replies sent to your new address.
www.realtown.com/community/e-MailHeaven/view/0043WC
 Plusnet - Pat
Thanks for that link, I use Outlook Express so it looks like I can do that:)

Pat
Latest Forum Posts