Computer Related > IE 8 Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 36

IE 8 - Zero
Over the last week or so, specially after the last updates, IE8 has fallen to pieces on my machine, the latest being that it refuses to play flash content.

Anyone used IE9 beta? I have chrome now set as my default browser, but I want to dump 8.

No I dont want firefox. NO firefox comments.
 IE 8 - RattleandSmoke
Chromium :)

Sorry.
 IE 8 - swiss tony
I have a selection of browsers on my machine.
In reverse order of usage.(due to usability/stability)
IE8
Opera
Chrome
and in number one......
Ah..... I can't name it!
 IE 8 - Iffy
...No I dont want firefox...

But you do, you do, same as you want a Mac.

Mac and Firefox, a match made in computing heaven.

IE 8 - Dr Prunesqualler
What's wrong with Firefox?
I use it occasionally and apart from it taking a wee while to start up due to the add-ins I have installed it seems perfectly fine.
As an ordinary user I cannot see a lot of difference between Explorer, Firefox or Opera. They all seem to download websites.
 IE 8 - Victorbox
I have used IE9 beta on one PC. It's OK but very stripped out - virtually no tool bars so you have to find where MS have hidden things. As it's a beta some sites like eBay don't display script typed into search boxes in the correct size - too small. On the whole it's OK and very easy to go back if you don't like it.
Last edited by: Victorbox on Thu 23 Dec 10 at 09:46
 IE 8 - Iffy
...virtually no tool bars so you have to find where MS have hidden things...

You have to search where MS have hidden things?

That must be the finished program.

IE 8 - John H
>> I have used IE9 beta on one PC. It's OK but very stripped out -
>> virtually no tool bars so you have to find where MS have hidden things.
>>

So it is like Chrome and SRWareIron in that regard?

windows.microsoft.com/en-US/internet-explorer/help/ie-9/where-are-the-favorites-command-and-status-bars

You can perform many of the same functions found on the Favorites, Command, and status bars by using the Home button , Favorites button , or Tools button .

To show the Favorites bar, Command bar, or status bar, do the following:

•Right-click to the right of the New tab button, and then select one of the following from the menu:

•Favorites bar

•Command bar

•Status bar
 IE 8 - ....
Can you not rollback your machine to last week then reapply the updates to find out which one cream crackers it ?

I have not tried IE9 as I tend to steer clear of anything beta from MS.

On a similar note, I installed the Windows Live update as I use Windows Live Mail.
Cannot get a connection to the hotmail server and have tried all the suggested fixes to make it work. I ended up rolling back and hiding the Windows Live update.
 IE 8 - Zero
I would, but was getting pretty crappy before the last updates. I really cant be bothered to start faultfinding on a pile of crap anyway. I think MS gave on on IE8 months and months ago.
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 23 Dec 10 at 21:03
 IE 8 - ....
I know what you mean, my machine was running fine until this week. Since the updates, I've backed most of them out and it's still running like a crock o' poo

Rebuild might be on the cards, in which case, do I jump from Vista to W7 ? I've got W7 Ultimate on my work laptop, can't say I really notice that much difference as I'm not one that needs all that UI garbage on my home machine.

Linux is not the way forward for me as I'm not dyslexic to use it properly.
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 23 Dec 10 at 21:03
 IE 8 - Roger.
I have I.E. 9 beta 9.0.7930.16406, both in 32 & 64 bit on my laptop.
I also have Opera 11 beta, 32 bit and Chrome (de-chromed).
I hardly ever use it/them as I miss my "browser which cannot be named" add-ons too much.
It's/they're OK I suppose, if you like to work hard at using a browser.
 IE 8 - madf
IE8 fine here.(mc rebuilt June 2010)

Rebuild?
Last edited by: madf on Thu 23 Dec 10 at 18:57
 IE 8 - Stuartli
Firefox.

Seemples as so often others have pointed out. IE8 used only on very isolated occasions.
 IE 8 - ....
I have noticed Adobe DLM insists on running with Admin rights.
Install Flash with the DLM, start IE8 as Admin and all is right with the world, start IE8 as Joe Public and Flash will not work. For me the problem lies with Adobe DLM.
Last edited by: gmac on Thu 23 Dec 10 at 19:54
 IE 8 - MD
SRWare Iron
 IE 8 - John H
>> Over the last week or so, specially after the last updates, IE8 has fallen to
>> pieces on my machine, the latest being that it refuses to play flash content.
>>

Earlier today, I discovered that Google street view had stopped working on my IE8, but was working fine on Firefox and SRWareIron (Chromium).
I was only able to get street view running again on IE8 by:
Tools> Internet Options> Advanced> Reset Internet Explorer Settings> Reset>

It seems that the last MS update must have changed some settings within IE8.
 IE 8 - MD
SRWare Iron.

It's Chrome without the crap and spyware and written by the same people. I dare you to try it. Bloomin' brilliant.
 IE 8 - paulb
>> No I dont want firefox. NO firefox comments.
>>

Firefox has gone from very good to complete pants in the last 6m or so, IME. Would hardly run on our old desktop, latterly.

Use Safari on here (admittedly it is the app provided by the manufacturer it comes with that) and like it - it was OK on the old Windows machine too, but I'd probably go for (and stick with) Chrome now.
 IE 8 - Iffy
...Firefox has gone from very good to complete pants in the last 6m or so, IME...

What's gone wrong with Firefox?

I've not noticed a decline in performance, but I don't do a lot more than surfing, and I'm far from an expert user.
 IE 8 - paulb
>> What's gone wrong with Firefox?
>>

I'll be honest and say I've not used the Mac version (having been so comprehensively put off by the PC version prior to buying the Macs), but on the old PC it went from ace to dreadful over a surprisingly short period - wouldn't load, really slow when it did, kept hanging, pop-up blockers stopped working etc etc - and a reinstall or 4 did nothing to alleviate this.

Prior to that I'd been a Firefox advocate to the extent of persuading several family members to use it.

TBH I think all browsers go through good and bad patches, but on my own not-particularly-techy experience the 2 best are Safari and Chrome at the moment. In another 6m that may change. My only yardsticks for browsers are speed and stability.
 IE 8 - Iffy
...I think all browsers go through good and bad patches...

Browser re-think at Iffy Towers, and I now think paulb is right about Firefox falling behind the game.

Either that, or Safari is extra-scrumptious on a MacBook Pro.

I had put the occasional hangs in Firefox down to the internet in general or my connection to it.

But Safari is quicker, very rarely hangs, and seems able to play any video or sound file I come across.

The 'top sites' and carousel 'history' screens on Safari look great in a way which is hard to describe.

Safari is also the only browser I've come across which can totally block pop-ups from the other place, so it must be good. :)

Thanks to Paul - and Skoda earlier - for pointing me in the right direction.
 IE 8 - rtj70
>> The 'top sites' and carousel 'history' screens on Safari look great in a way which is hard to describe.

It's called Coverflow - anyone using iTunes or an iPhone/iPod touch will use this all the time.

Both Safari and Chrome are based on the WebKit browser which makes them both quite fast. I don't use Firefox although it is installed.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sun 16 Jan 11 at 12:39
 IE 8 - Stuartli
>>..about Firefox falling behind the game.>>

I use Firefox 99 per cent of the time over IE8 and occasionally run SpeedyFox:

www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/Other-Internet-Related/SpeedyFox.shtml

to keep it up to scratch.

Firefox 4 is currently in Beta form and should shortly be ready for its final version:

filehippo.com/download_firefox/

Not tried it as I prefer not to be a Beta tester...:-)
 IE 8 - ....
>> Over the last week or so, specially after the last updates, IE8 has fallen to
>> pieces on my machine, the latest being that it refuses to play flash content.
>>
Did you ever get to the bottom of this ?

I had a similar problem with IE8. I uninstalled Flash, reinstalled still didn't work (Tried all combinations including restarts, shut downs and leaving off etc...).
Left it for a while, yesterday came back to it, uninstalled Flash player then manually cleaned up the registry, removing all references to Flash player.
Reinstalled and it's now working.
 IE 8 - Zero
I uninstalled IE 8 and reinstalled it again.
 IE 8 - Stuartli
There are two versions of Flash Player. This is the IE version:

filehippo.com/download_flashplayer_ie/
 IE 8 - Robin O'Reliant
This SRW iron people keep going on about, it doesn't seem to be available for Win 7 on the download page. Is it doable?
 IE 8 - Focusless
>> This SRW iron people keep going on about, it doesn't seem to be available for
>> Win 7 on the download page. Is it doable?

I'm not a user, but it is here which perhaps implies it is:
www.windows7download.com/win7-srware-iron/eenuarlf.html
 IE 8 - rtj70
Anyone else think it is risky downloading a compiled freeware browser from somewhere you can't trust.you might think you're avoiding Google snooping but there could be all sorts of backdoors in there.
 IE 8 - Stuartli
Install McAfee's Site Advisor (freeware):

www.siteadvisor.com/

One version for IE and a second for Firefox etc.

Info:

www.siteadvisor.com/howitworks/index.html

IE 8 - Zero
probably not as many back doors as Google included it seems.
 IE 8 - Suppose
>> Anyone else think it is risky downloading a compiled freeware browser from somewhere you can't
>> trust.you might think you're avoiding Google snooping but there could be all sorts of backdoors
>> in there.
>>

Why do you think so?

Why is that different to people being advised here to install CCleaner, or Firefox, or Foxit-pdf, or catchupTV or whatever else you care to mention?

If you want to find out about SRWare Iron, look up their web site and forum for a start
www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron_chrome_vs_iron.php
www.srware.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=18

IE 8 - rtj70
I was questioning downloading SRWARE from a site that is not actually SRWARE - and since the browser is open source someone could tweak it so to speak.
 IE 8 - Stuartli
>I was questioning downloading SRWARE from a site that is not actually SRWAR>>

There are plenty of acceptable download sites that are regularly used including FileHippo, Tucows, Majorgeeks, Softpedia etc. I have no qualms about using them; in fact they are normally the first to list new software that's available.
Last edited by: Stuartli on Mon 17 Jan 11 at 00:08
 IE 8 - rtj70
But who knows what this site is:

www.windows7download.com/win7-srware-iron/eenuarlf.html

Downloader beware is all I say. I was not knocking the product or a particular site. But some people google and download from anywhere.
 IE 8 - Suppose
>> But who knows what this site is:
>>
>> www.windows7download.com/win7-srware-iron/eenuarlf.html
>>

Why can't you say the same about FileHippo, Tucows, Majorgeeks, Softpedia etc ?

And why is it that opensource software such as Linux, Ubuntu, OpenOffice, etc. is not on your list of software not to be trusted?
Last edited by: Suppose on Mon 17 Jan 11 at 09:34
Latest Forum Posts