Computer Related > Laptop ripping CDs to iTunes slowly Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Iffy Replies: 8

Laptop ripping CDs to iTunes slowly - Iffy
A retired pal of mine was given an iPod for Christmas and after a brisk start, he's hit a snag.

He's ripped about 100 of his CDs to iTunes, but the last dozen or so have copied very slowly.

The earlier ones went across at anything up to 20x, but the speed has now dropped to between 2x and 3x.

I had a quick look earlier this evening.

All I can say is the 100 or so CDs are in his iTunes library as I would expect to see them, and the copying speed from CD is now between 2x and 3x.

He has about another 100 CDs to do and has no plans to download any new music.

Any ideas to restore the copying speed?

Laptop ripping CDs to iTunes slowly - Zero
What laptop does he have (cpu and memory and OS), how much free space is on his hard drive?

The last one is key.
...The last one is key...

The laptop is either a HP or Dell, is about three-years-old and is running Vista Home Premium.

I don't think he has a great deal of other data loaded on it, the CDs ripped so far come to 16GB.

I'm afraid I've not given very comprehensive troubleshooting info, but in general terms, should I be looking for plenty of headroom on the hard drive?

My reason for asking tonight is I'm going to have another 'quick look' tomorrow, when I advise him which lead he needs to plug the iPod into his new Hyundai.

My thought is he is running out of memory swop space.
...My thought is he is running out of memory swop space...

Guessing....

Is this when RAM is full and the computer toggles between that and the hard drive to keep the process going?

If so is there anything simple I can do to free up the RAM?

The baffling thing is the first 100 CDs copied at a good speed.

When I tried it, the CD drive didn't sound as if it was working as hard as I recall mine did when I built my library.

Laptop ripping CDs to iTunes slowly - spamcan61
Does sound like he's running out of HDD space, but 16GB of MP3s shouldn't have much of an impact on a 3 year old machine which I'm guessing will probably have around 100GB HDD in it.

strange.
It could be his CD is dirty or conking out. Its been doing a lot of recent fast spinning.

If its a laptop you can usually see the lens in the cd tray, clean it with a cotton bud.
 Laptop ripping CDs to iTunes slowly - FotheringtonTomas
Even Windoze can monitor swap file usage and process resource usage - from a GUI.
 Laptop ripping CDs to iTunes slowly - Bellboy
i too think the cd drive has gone faulty
my dvd drive went faulty this week and ive never used the thing £39.99 it cost me too
Latest Forum Posts