Computer Related > train driving simulator software Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Redviper Replies: 4

train driving simulator software - Redviper
Hi All
Can Anyone recommend a FREE good train driving simulator software for UK based railways.
I have downloaded openBVE (IIRC) however even on my dual core laptop I’m struggling to get a good frame rate.
I have it on my desktop running XP 600mb of ram but I think because it’s a Celeron processor its even worse but I expected better from my laptop.

So I’m looking for something a bit better, and free I’ve heard of Microsoft Rail SIM and Trainworks but I don’t want to have to buy one just yet if I can help it.

Many Thanks in Advance
 train driving simulator software - RattleandSmoke
BVE is the only free one, there is Railworks which is very realistic and it is is what I use, I still haven't got to grips with it yet though.

MS Train Sim is good value as it is quite old now.

Your laptop probably has a very poor graphics card, they are not really designed for 3D work and even train sims can be quite demanding.
 train driving simulator software - smokie
I know nothing about train sims, but I think Rats is being a bit too negative. I'd have thought that if the MS Sim is quiet old then a relatively modern laptop would be able to cope. The BVE Help/Download page (www.trainsimcentral.co.uk/help.htm) lists the following requirements:

CPU: PentiumII 233MHz
Display: 640 x 480 pixel, High Color (32bit) BVE 2
Display: 1024 x 768 pixel, High Color (16 or 32bit) BVE 4
Graphics Card: Compatible with Direct3D
DirectX 7+ (8.1+ recommended)
BVE4 requires the Microsoft .NET framework to be downloaded if not already installed.

Again, not too stretching for a lappy I'd have thought...
 train driving simulator software - RattleandSmoke
But on those specs the levels of detail will be so poor is it worth the bother?
 train driving simulator software - Redviper
Desktop:
1.3ghz Celeron
600mb of RAM
64mb Radeon 7000 Graphics
Windows XP
Direct X, Open GL, .Net All the latest versions

Laptop
Dual Core Intel (cant remember the speed rating)
Windows Vista
2GBRAM
Not sure off hand about the graphics to be honest.

I am considering in a few years to completely replace the desktop as im fully aware its out of the dark ages, so I might just have to put up with it until then – I might have a look at trainworks and perhaps put my hand in my pocket and spend some money*

*Shudder the thought
Latest Forum Posts