Computer Related > Declining Windows updates Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Manatee Replies: 11

Declining Windows updates - Manatee
I have my laptop and netbook set to notify me when important updates are available. Generally I select and apply actual updates, and always the security ones.

At the moment every notification includes a 157MB update "Windows Live Essentials". This list a collection of annoying or superfluous looking stuff like Messenger, Bing Bar, photo galleries, Mail, Movie Maker etc so I always ignore it (it includes Silverlight which I believe is now used by iPlayer but I have the latest version of that anyway).

I can see no way of declining this permanently - am I doomed to see it every time I log on? How do I get rid without installing all this tripe, does anybody know?
 Declining Windows updates - Focusless
If you go into Windows Update, can't you opt to hide selected updates?

Unfortunately I haven't got any outstanding at the moment to test this out on, bit there is a 'restore hidden updates' option, so I think I'm right...
Last edited by: Focus on Wed 19 Jan 11 at 21:17
 Declining Windows updates - spamcan61
In XP, at least, if you choose to install the update, select 'custom install'

It will then give you a tick box for each update whither to install or not.

Underneath there's a tick box saying "don't remind me about these updates again"

select that and bob's yer uncle
Thanks for the responses. It's Windows 7. There's only the one update, and the only option seems to be 'Install' or just leave the box unchecked and click OK or the red X. Either way it comes back later. I can't find any hide options.
 Declining Windows updates - Bellboy
can you not just shut the curtains?
 Declining Windows updates - John H
>> I can see no way of declining this permanently - am I doomed to see
>> it every time I log on? How do I get rid without installing all this
>> tripe, does anybody know?
>>

technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/ff382716.aspx
www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/24376-windows-update-hide-restore-hidden-updates.html

BTW, windows 7 service pack 1 will be out soon on official windows updates, and it may install some of your previously hidden/declined updates.
( the RTM final version of the service pack was leaked last week on many unofficial sites.
RTM = en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle )
 Declining Windows updates - MD
Thinking back on my life I am sure there were updates that I should have installed along the way.
 Declining Windows updates - Roger.
I have declined Windows 7 Service Pack update when it comes out by using the Microsoft tool referred to on this page:- tinyurl.com/4jmh26q

I prefer to wait until the dust has settled before accepting it.
 Declining Windows updates - VxFan
>> At the moment every notification includes a 157MB update "Windows Live Essentials".
>> This list a collection of annoying or superfluous looking stuff like Messenger, Bing Bar, photo galleries, Mail, Movie Maker etc

I've just updated Windows Live Essentials. You get the choice of what you want to install. As I only wanted to update Messenger, that's all I selected.
 Declining Windows updates - Victorbox
If this is Windows 7 ..... right mouse click on actual update in Windows Update and select hide this update and you will see it no more.
 Declining Windows updates - John H
>> If this is Windows 7 ..... right mouse click on actual update in Windows Update
>> and select hide this update and you will see it no more.
>>

see my reply at Wed 19 Jan 11 22:31
Thanks for the replies. I've got rid with the right clicking lark - not blindlingly obvious, and it seems to have worked.
Latest Forum Posts