Computer Related > Windows XP transfer between PCs, no re-install Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Focusless Replies: 16

Windows XP transfer between PCs, no re-install - Focusless
We've got an old Pentium 4 PC with 80GB IDE hard disk running Windows XP which I managed to lose the installation disk for some time ago.

We also have a basic dual core PC with 250GB SATA hard disk, now running linux since I moved Windows 7 onto the new PC I've just built.

Is it possible to transfer the Windows XP from the 80GB PC to the 250GB PC (putting linux on the 80GB PC after) and be left with a working XP on the 250GB machine?

(I don't think the 250GB PC's motherboard has any IDE connectors, but I need to double-check that. The 80GB PC's motherboard definitely doesn't have any SATA connectors.)
 Windows XP transfer between PCs, no re-install - spamcan61
One way would be stick the SATA drive in a USB caddy, plug that into the P4 PC, clone the contents of the 80GB to the 250GB (using Acronis True Image or whatever), then stick the 250GB drive back in the dual core machine.

This may or may not work depending on whether the original 80GB Windows install was OEM or Retail, i.e. is it locked to a specific manufacturer's motherboard, do you have a COA for it etc.

You can get IDE to SATA converters for a few quid on ebay, although I'm not sure if they'll work on a boot disk - that's something iIll be experimenting with today.
>> One way

Thanks - I'll look into that.

The XP came from the IT department of a school where my wife was a member of staff - it's not retail. I can extract the key (COA?) from it.
This is the IDE drive to SATA mobo. I was on about, 6 quid odd:-

cgi.ebay.co.uk/IDE-PATA-Drive-SATA-Motherboard-Converter-Adapter-/380242000472?pt=UK_Computing_HardDrives_RL&hash=item5888307a58

With my previously mentioned caveat that I'm not 100% sure about it working on a boot drive.
 Windows XP transfer between PCs, no re-install - Zero
Keys and legality are the least of your woes.

Your old XP may not even boot in your new PC. It all depends on the hardware, and the drivers.

It may not boot, and stubbornly refuse to get past the splash screen, or it might boot update its drivers and then need to be certified on new hardware.

I did one once, it took me a day with the recovery console.
 Windows XP transfer between PCs, no re-install - John H
>> Keys and legality are the least of your woes.

>> I did one once, it took me a day with the recovery console.
>>

Agreed. If he wants windows, the simplest, quickest, and legit way might be to buy a Win7 DVD (will include SP1 in a few weeks time).
Last edited by: John H on Fri 21 Jan 11 at 10:28
 Windows XP transfer between PCs, no re-install - Stuartli
I bought one of these neat SATA to IDE adapters a week or two ago:

tinyurl.com/yawbjsl

to enable me to continue using two IDE optical drives, both virtually unused, in a new system.

Unfortunately when I opened the new system's case for the first time, I found the PSU had no Molex connectors.

Reasoning suggested there must be a SATA to Molex adapter and, sure enough:

tinyurl.com/68nwfn5

Now waiting for delivery.

PS

I used Windows Easy Transfer to move files from the old to the new system, but may not be applicable in this case.
Last edited by: Stuartli on Fri 21 Jan 11 at 12:24
>> We've got an old Pentium 4 PC with 80GB IDE hard disk running Windows XP

>> We also have a basic dual core PC with 250GB SATA hard disk, now running

>> Is it possible to transfer the Windows XP from the 80GB PC to the 250GB

yes, but you might hit problems along the way:
www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/19438/
www.petri.co.il/using_sysprep_in_an_image_based_installation.htm
Many other similar articles on the web explaining how to clone/ghost XP from one PC to another PC with different hardware characteristics.

you may find this download available from MS useful: "Windows XP Service Pack 3 Deployment Tools" - support.microsoft.com/kb/302577

Last edited by: John H on Fri 21 Jan 11 at 10:25
Thanks guys - I might just give it a go using the cheapest option; nothing lost if it doesn't work.
Excelent, I look forward to the entertaining thread.
 Windows XP transfer between PCs, no re-install - Iffy
...might just give it a go using the cheapest option...

Wouldn't you be better to spend those six hours washing cars or serving behind the bar at your local pub, thereby earning enough money to buy Windows 7?

>>
>> Wouldn't you be better to spend those six hours washing cars or serving behind the
>> bar at your local pub, thereby earning enough money to buy Windows 7?
>>
>>
Round my way there's more than enough people after those jobs already.
>> Wouldn't you be better to spend those six hours washing cars or serving behind the
>> bar at your local pub, thereby earning enough money to buy Windows 7?

Where's your sense of adventure? :)
 Windows XP transfer between PCs, no re-install - Iffy
...Where's your sense of adventure? :)...

Who knows who you might see when you slosh the suds off the windscreen?
Second thoughts, having read the posts in John H's link from people who sound like they know what they're doing (unlike myself) - what would you recommend, washing cars or bar work? :)
doh, thats a shame I was looking forward to it?
Don't give up yet, first try method suggested by Joshua Marius @ Dec 23, 2009, 10:16am here
www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/19438/
Latest Forum Posts