Computer Related > Problems since clicking on a 'trusted' link Miscellaneous
Thread Author: swiss tony Replies: 9

Problems since clicking on a 'trusted' link - swiss tony
I have a problem, which Im guessing is a virus, since clicking on a link I thought I could trust.
Worse thing is, it was on this site, and took me to HJ.
Since then, every so often, a new browser window opens (firefox/XP) taking me to a site where the 'ladies' aren't wearing much.....
I keep closing the new window straight away, and am running my AV as I type this.

Any other advice on what I may have to do?
And please, Don't ever put a link to 'that place' again... :-)
Not without saying what it is....
 Problems since clicking on a 'trusted' link - smokie
I've had this before and I honestly think it's more likely you've got this from something you've downloaded or received in email than from any link.

Whatever, there is a lot of very useful stuff in threads on the majorgeeks site, starting with this thread forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407

But before you get into the too detailed stuff I've had success on a number of occasions with the following two products, run one after the other:

Malwarebytes
majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=5756

SuperAntispyware www.majorgeeks.com/SUPERAntiSpyware_d5116.html
I can't of course be sure that site is the cause, but all I can say is the problems started immediately after the page loaded.....
I had checked my Emails 1/2 hour earlier, and hadn't seen any issues.

Anyway, Thanks for the links. I have downloaded and attempted to run both programs, the 1st, Malwarebytes freezes 1-2 seconds into a scan, and I have to force it to close using task manager.
The 2nd, SuperAntispyware has discovered 2 Trojans, so I'm crossing fingers that's sorted the problem....
 Problems since clicking on a 'trusted' link - FotheringtonTomas
Malwarebytes' product should not not work for no reason (that'll get you!).

bit.ly/brL01I
 Problems since clicking on a 'trusted' link - John H
>> I have a problem, which Im guessing is a virus, since clicking on a link
>> I thought I could trust.
>> Worse thing is, it was on this site, and took me to HJ.

Can you please point us to the thread, just so that we know which link to avoid?
Wish I could remember - it was pointing to an old posting from 2005 or thereabouts...
..... it may be a coincidence that I got attacked around the time of viewing, all I know for certain is its giving me major grief.
 Problems since clicking on a 'trusted' link - Iffy
It was a link posted by tyro about when he rented a PT Cruiser in the USA in 2005.

I'm not sure which thread it appeared in here, but this is where it went to.

Made non-clickable, just in case:

... www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=35831...
Last edited by: Iffy on Sat 22 Jan 11 at 12:33
 Problems since clicking on a 'trusted' link - smokie
Just spun up a virtual machine and set a registry monitor and some other stuff going then used the link. It doesn't appear to have done anything unexpected but I will leave the machine running for a bit as I'd like to see the scantily clad ladies - all in the interests of research you understand :-)
Last edited by: smokie on Sat 22 Jan 11 at 14:45
 Problems since clicking on a 'trusted' link - Iffy
I clicked on the link yesterday and no dirty lasses have popped up on the Mac so far.

>> I clicked on the link yesterday and no dirty lasses have popped up on the
>> Mac so far.
>>
Maybe I just got 'lucky'....
I think (fingers crossed) I now have a clean machine again.

Thanks Smokie, and FT for your help.
Latest Forum Posts