Computer Related > Warning message re hard drive partition. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: scousehonda Replies: 6

Warning message re hard drive partition. - scousehonda
I bought an HP desktop PC last June. It is running Windows7 and the hard drive has 3 partitions (at least I think that's what they're known as).

Drive 'C' is the operating system, Drive 'D' is HP Recovery and Drive 'Z' is an expansion drive for my Acronis back-up.

Recently I have been getting a pop up message saying 'Running out of disc space on HP Recovery (D). When I open the (D) drive there are 2 items shown in addition to the Recovery. One is listed as 'Folder- My Backups' and the other as 'HPSF Rep -Text Document 1 KB'.

I assume that these two items should not be in that partition but can somebody kindly tell me how to remove them without doing any damage?

Hope this makes sense as I am completely out of my depth once I start right clicking in 'My Computer'.

Any help will be much appreciated.
 Warning message re hard drive partition. - Tooslow
Ah, the dreaded "My backups". Acronis sprays these all over the place. Is there anything in it? Assuming that is what is eating your space, delete it and give Acronis a good talking to. Tell it very firmly where you want your backups to go. And I'd encourage you not to backup to the same disk since if it goes belly up, so do your backups. An external USB disk will work a treat. £50 ish for 500GB.

John
 Warning message re hard drive partition. - John H
try this HP solution
h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01508532&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en

Warning message re hard drive partition. - ....
assuming you have not changed anything like adding recovery points or storing files to the D drive, HP does write and delete the odd file there.
I occassionaly get the same problem with my HP PC. I either leave it to sort itself out or, a defrag sorts the drive out.
Alternatively, you could extend this partition making it slightly larger so you do not go over 90% capacity which triggers the message you are seeing.
 Warning message re hard drive partition. - Tooslow
If that's what is going on it's pretty poor of HP. The recovery partition really ought to be concealed too. The one on my little Lenovo netbook is and that seems to be fairly normal.
John
 Warning message re hard drive partition. - Zero
you shouldnt even know about a recovery partition until you press a button on bios boot.

Poor planning. It sounds like its backing up my documents in there as well.
 Warning message re hard drive partition. - scousehonda
To Tooslow, JohnH, gmac and Zero,

Many thanks for your responses and apologies for not replying sooner. I took the good lady out for dinner last night (don't tell the wife) and have only just logged on today. I am pleased with myself for having been able to get my problem across in words that could be understood by others.

Tooslow, I agree with your comment about not backing up to the same disc. I back up in exactly the way you have suggested, ie onto an external drive (Seagate, 500GB which cost £49.99).

I haven't yet cleared the intruders but will follow the instructions as per JohnH's link.

Once again, many thanks to all
Latest Forum Posts