Computer Related > Can't connect to wireless. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: - Replies: 17

Can't connect to wireless. - -
SWM has been given a spare laptop, it's a Toshiba Equium M50-164, which she wants to use for some of her work stuff.

We have wireless internet at home...it's secure.

Trying to connect using the long WEP key on the orange livebox but it won't have it.

Is there something obvious she's doing wrong, or need to do please.
 Can't connect to wireless. - Zero
Make sure your router is set to support 802.11b/g
>> Make sure your router is set to support 802.11b/g

Thanks Z, now just for a moment imagine that i'm a thicko truck driver, you know a green overalled salt of the earth type who wouldn't know what on earth any of that means..;)
ok

who makes your router?
It's an Orange livebox, works on both wired and wireless.
A 1.1, a 1.2, or a 2.0 livebox?

Can your laptop see the router over wireless?
Yes the laptop can see it (and lots more presumably neighbours).

Those numbers don't look familiar, the livebox model appears to be a 62-CO.
ok are you using the right type of encryption? What are you using?

WEP?

Using the right key index? A or 1 usually
 Can't connect to wireless. - AshT
I think Orange Liveboxes are usually set up with WPA by default - if the label on the box states WEP it may be incorrect.
GB

How on earth did you end up with French Electronics being at the heart of your internet,

Get rid, get a proper router.

anyway, this may help

www.totalfrance.com/france/forum/viewtopic.php?t=87625
 Can't connect to wireless. - Focusless
>> How on earth did you end up with French Electronics being at the heart of
>> your internet,

It's not just Orange - O2 send out Thomson boxes. Mine's been ok, so far...
 Can't connect to wireless. - Stuartli
Many laptops have a small switch on one of the edges to turn the wireless facility on or off.

Might be worth a check?
 Can't connect to wireless. - rtj70
Has someone changed the security key from the default? I know my BT router security was changed as soon as I got it - by me.

D the router support MAC address restriction and has this been enabled?
 Can't connect to wireless. - Tooslow
Zero's link shows a similar process to my Thomson (French!) router. Press a button on the router and THEN activate your wireless connection on the laptop. The router will refuse to recognise anything unless it appears during this one minute (ish) period.

Then there's the key to enter too but you seem to have that bit in hand. I find that some devices just connect (Canon printer) others put up a struggle (Nokia phones).

John
 Can't connect to wireless. - MD
My original Livebox was dead dead dead. Piece of carp from day 1.
 Can't connect to wireless. - Statistical Outlier
I'm amazed nobody has suggested the most obvious thing. My wireless routers sometimes give up when too many devices have tried to connect. It's nothing to do with a setting, they have plenty of IP addresses to give out, they just seem confused. Turning them off for 10 seconds cures it - worth a try?
Many thanks lads, SWM took the unconnecting lappy to her work today and it connected to the wireless there without too much problem.

Much of your well meaning advice has gone well over my lowly bonce, andf till she brings it home at the weekend we'll have to shelve this, so will resume then.

Might be a case of me ringing Orange and getting them to talk me through connection, there are indeed a couple of buttons on the livebox, but nothing to say what they are for and i can't remember, so won't go pressing them for the hell of it yet.

Just recalled that following a lightning strike here a few years ago, the livebox was replaced (old one fried), it took a lot of telephone calls to reconnect the new one properly.
I wonder if the machine's number is unique to the machine or could there be some confusion cos of that...only Orange can sort that one out, oh joy that will be.

Can't complain about Orange's service or speeds considering we get broadband free on my mobile contract, it's always been pretty good unless umpteen million volts goes through it..;)
 Can't connect to wireless. - Orange_Helpers
Hi

Depending on the model of Livebox you have, the button required to activate wireless pairing mode may be different. On the original Livebox this is marked with the number 1, on the later versions this is marked with a wireless antenna icon.

By pressing this button, the Livebox will then allow a new device to connect. You should then be able to connect your laptop to the Livebox, after entering the correct security key when prompted.

Further information on connecting wirelessly can be found on our website at help.orange.co.uk/orangeuk/support/personal/239761 .

I hope this helps.

Darren from Orange Helpers
Twitter: twitter.com/orangehelpers
Facebook: www.facebook.com/OrangeUK
Latest Forum Posts