Computer Related > scans, photo editing software, & JPEG compression Miscellaneous
Thread Author: tyro Replies: 2

scans, photo editing software, & JPEG compression - tyro
I've been scanning my old slides on a Canon scanner. The driver that it uses is Scangear, which is a piece of Canon software.

The photo editing software which came with the scanner is Arcsoft PhotoStudio - but it will work with other photo editing software.

When I do a scan, I open the photo editing software, and then choose "Aquire", which launches Scangear. I then do the scan.

I've been experimenting. I've also launched Scangear from Irfanview and from MS Photo Editor. And I've found something that puzzles me. While the dimension of the images (e.g. 3008 x 2104) is the same for scans launched in all three programs, the sizes of the image are quite different. In a typical example, 500 KB when using MS Photo Editor, 1.57 MB when using ArcSoft, and 5.11 MB when using IrfanView. Clearly, it seems to me, MS Photo Editor is compressing the JPEGs more, IrfanView is compressing them less, and ArcSoft somewhere in between. There is no difference at all in Scangear, so the difference must be in the three photo editing programs.

Am I right in thinking that the 3 different photo editing programs are producing different levels of JPEG compression?

And is it possible on these three programs to change the level of compression?
 scans, photo editing software, & JPEG compression - Bellboy
i have a can non
i just scan mine send them to pictures
on the old xp
cant do with them programmes that come free like those with hewlett packford (its now at home somewhere in a corner that scammer)
 scans, photo editing software, & JPEG compression - tyro
A little bit embarrassing this . . . but with a little bit of poking around, I seem to have answered my own question.

When one saves a document, there is a dialogue box that I never noticed before which gives one the opportunity to choose what compression / quality one wants.
Latest Forum Posts