Computer Related > HP Laptop & Static Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bromptonaut Replies: 18

HP Laptop & Static - Bromptonaut
Mrs B has a new Laptop; HP G62 with a core i3 processor bought from a DSG store on Saturday. Problem is it won't always start when pressing the power button.

Yesterday it sorted itself after I connected a USB mouse.

Today I managed to get through to the DSG 'Techguys' (actually a very clued up 7 personable TechGal) and was advised it may be static. Disconnect mains, remove battery then hold down power button as instructed. Restore mains power & it starts perfectly. Guess I earthed it yesterday connecting the mouse.

I'm happy with that solution for now and I recognise the current dry cold weather is conducive to static but it's not reasonable to go through that palaver every time Mrs B wants to check her email.

Should I return it or persevere?

HP Laptop & Static - spamcan61
Return it, there's no way on Earth (ha ha) you should have to do this to boot a PC.
 HP Laptop & Static - rtj70
Take it back. Something is wrong. If this is easily reproducible then that's even better for you. Something is not right with the laptop and now is the time to get it swapped.

If this is static related - something is wrong. I couldn't tell you how many laptops I've had in the last 15 years off hand (more than 10... I have two work ones now)... none ever did this.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 1 Feb 11 at 23:15
 HP Laptop & Static - rtj70
This has got me thinking of my best form factor Windows laptop... I digress. But Fujitsu did one with an optional second battery (Removable) which propped up the thin laptop for typing. Also had an optionally attached CD/Floppy attachment. The main laptop was thin and light.... and this was 1999! Ahead of the game alas and now it's all fruity things.

It was probably a Fujitsu Siemens L460 (checked some old files). Nice laptop that would embarrass a lot of todays bloatware. In fact I wish I had it still with say Linux. Only a Pentium 166 I recall.

Sorry I hijacked the thread...

Take the HP laptop back. We have one working fine albeit a Pentium Core2 one.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 1 Feb 11 at 23:22
 HP Laptop & Static - VxFan
>> If this is static related - something is wrong.

Unless properly earthed, won't static cause havoc with the electronics?

Hence when working on PCs (and other electronic equipment) you should wear an anti-static strap.
 HP Laptop & Static - spamcan61
I have seen this 'keep the power button pressed in to discharge the static' comment before, maybe keeping the power button pressed in for a few seconds momentarily shorts the (powered down) power supply rails on the mobo.

In terms of form factor then a year or so ago I got an old laptop from a boot sale going for a guy at work, can't remember the model number but it was a Toshiba running Win 98, on it; only a little bit bigger than current netbooks, although it was 8-9 years old. Nice little machine.

i have had work Dells with a dual battery system, one battery could be swapped for an optical drive, which was a neat idea IMHO.
 HP Laptop & Static - movilogo
Return it. After 28 days you won't have this option.

I have used several HP laptops and never faced this issue.
Gone back. Bit of a todo with Currys tho' over the Trend AV package they added to sweeten the deal. I didn't want the damn stuff & had already made clear I saw no need for fancy 'net security' when the gave the hard sell on Norton. Quite happy with Avast, windows firewall etc & my own wits) I only accepted it to avoid embarrassing the sales guy who'd been very good over our 'processor uncertainty'. The same basic model comes in a bewildering variety of Intel processors & at least one AMD.

I didn't return it with the laptop and they insisted on deducting its retail price from the refund. Then when I took it in today the guy started trying to ring Trend to see if it'd been activated. Pointed out that if I'd activated it then I'd have done so on the duff PC but he still persisted - until the only number he could find for Trend was £1/min tech helpline at which point he caved in.

OK, only £13 but given I'd wasted hours setting the damn thing up and was caused 10mile round trip to return it I thought they could have been less pernickity.
 HP Laptop & Static - Iffy
... Quite happy with Avast, windows firewall...

That's always worked for me on my Windows netbook, and previous laptop.

HP Laptop & Static - Focusless
>> ... Quite happy with Avast, windows firewall...
>>
>> That's always worked for me on my Windows netbook, and previous laptop.

I'll stand in for Zero in this instance and suggest Microsoft Security Essentials, which is relatively compact and doesn't use up to much system resource,
Last edited by: Focus on Sat 5 Feb 11 at 18:34
...suggest Microsoft Security Essentials, which is relatively compact and doesn't use up to much system resource...

I'm sure that's right, it's just the words 'Microsoft' and 'compact' don't sit well in the same sentence.

>> I'll stand in for Zero in this instance and suggest Microsoft Security Essentials, which is
>> relatively compact and doesn't use up to much system resource,

Happy to learn from that. Supplements my point which is that complex 'Internet Security' is (a) a resource hog & (b) easily becomes a substitute for common sense over the links one clicks on.
 HP Laptop & Static - devonite
wouldn`t the static disperse if you simply plugged the mains lead in? - via the earth?
>> wouldn`t the static disperse if you simply plugged the mains lead in? - via the
>> earth?

More than just a static problem i think. It wouldn't start at all in the shop.
...wouldn`t the static disperse if you simply plugged the mains lead in? - via the earth?...

Not sure, but the static wrist strap advice is aimed at those working on PCs and laptops when the machine is likely to be unplugged.
 HP Laptop & Static - VxFan
>> wouldn`t the static disperse if you simply plugged the mains lead in? - via the earth?

Not if the AC/DC charger is double insulated and doesn't have an earth.

If double insulated, it will have a symbol on it that looks like a square inside another square.

eg - tinyurl.com/4lkutxw
Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 6 Feb 11 at 13:27
 HP Laptop & Static - devonite
Ah! - wondered what that meant! - thanks!
 HP Laptop & Static - Pat
I can vouch for Microsoft Security Essentials too.
Rattle put it on my laptop last summer when Avast was causing problems with my emails.
It works so well, and shuts down/starts up so quickly now, I have put it on the desktop and on Mr pda's laptop as well.

Pat
 HP Laptop & Static - sajid
same here got microsoft essential security, doesnt use much resources and its free as well, at the moment the number of processes running that includes the firewall is 24.

makes it a speedy pc
Latest Forum Posts