Computer Related > Logmein - accessing from another country? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 12

Logmein - accessing from another country? - BobbyG
I use logmein at work to access all my shops computerised tills.

This has made me think - my uncle goes out to his villa in Bulgaria for several months each year and he cannot access some sites from there because he is outwith UK, things like the BBC Scotland site that shows football highlights for example.

Would it be possible to install, say logmein, on his comp and mine so that he could dial in and click on it through my computer and watch it that way?

Logmein - accessing from another country? - rtj70
I doubt there is sufficient bandwidth to stream video. Better to use a legitimate proxy service from Bulgaria.

You could try it out though from within the UK to see if it might work.
 Logmein - accessing from another country? - Falkirk Bairn
A Slingbox connects to your UK home and relays it to your PC anywhere you havve a PC - last time I looked they were £125 IIRC.

Currys, Comet etc have them undoubtedly there will be better prices elsewhere.
 Logmein - accessing from another country? - smokie
I have a Slingbox and it's pretty good. Just for clarity, you attach it inline with your TV equipment using a pass through SCART (maybe different on newer versions). This enables you to watch anything being sent over that SCART. So in my case it is between my PVR and telly. I can control the PVR (channel, recordings etc) using an on screen remote. The people at home end up watching whatever you are watching though.

www.slingbox.com
 Logmein - accessing from another country? - Focusless
Is the slingbox any different to streaming video in terms of bandwidth usage?
 Logmein - accessing from another country? - spamcan61
>> Is the slingbox any different to streaming video in terms of bandwidth usage?
>>

I think most Slingboxes transcode on the fly to reduce bandwidth usage but I don't think it's fundamentally different to using a PC with capture card to do the same thing.

One thing to bear in mind with the newer flavours of Slingbox (there are 3 or 4 different ones IIRC) is that I think they now operate through a web portal you have to sign up to. So I'd check on the various Slingbox related forums to verify that one you buy now will still allow the OP to do what they want, given that what the OP wants to do is exactly what the rights holders want Slingbox to stop you doing, IYSWIM.

Must admit it was pretty impressive watching the footie on my mate's iPhone 3GS in Stockhoilm airport, streamed from his Sky box via Slingbox back in the UK.
Last edited by: spamcan61 on Thu 3 Feb 11 at 10:18
But using the above examples, slingbox would not allow him to watch website footage would it? Sounds to me as if it just attaches to a virgin or sky box after the signal is sent to the tv?
>> But using the above examples, slingbox would not allow him to watch website footage would
>> it? Sounds to me as if it just attaches to a virgin or sky box
>> after the signal is sent to the tv?
>>

No and yes respectively.

I've never used logmein bit I have used Teamviewer a fair bit, to control upstairs PC from downstairs, for sure this doesn't send video across the link. If I launch iPlayer on the remote PC then the virtual screen within iPlayer is just blank on my local PC.
I think what Bobby means is that Slingbox is no use in doing anything with a remote PC, which is true.
>> I think what Bobby means is that Slingbox is no use in doing anything with
>> a remote PC, which is true.
>>
If the PC has an S-video connector or something for Video out you could connect that to the Slingbox and control the PC remotely using Teamviwer/logmein/whatever.
Tried an experiment, logged into my work computer from home and played the football highlights on the BBC website.
Picture was very stuttery but it did work!
 Logmein - accessing from another country? - rtj70
>> Picture was very stuttery but it did work!

Which is why I said try it. It's either a bandwidth problem or even an issue with the Logmein solution itself.
I think Slingbox adjusts itself according to available bandwidth so the stuttering is less. When I used to use it I remember it took quite a few minutes to settle down but once it had, it wasn't too bad at all - sound in sync and quite reasonable picture.
Latest Forum Posts