Computer Related > Printer has odd colours even after deep cleaning. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Fenlander Replies: 15

Printer has odd colours even after deep cleaning. - Fenlander
Canon all-in-one printer almost three years old is giving weird colours even after 3x normal and 2x deep cleaning. A test sheet seems to show the magenta isn't working properly. Every time it does print the first 10-20% of the image is OK but then the magenta seems to stop.

Magenta cartridge is 75% full. Worth buying a new colour cartridge set or will it be a failed print head?

We'd be fine with a £40-£60 replacement printer if needed.
 Printer has odd colours even after deep cleaning. - Hard Cheese

Canon seem to be leaders for reliability as well as quality and cost per print. However when you can get a new printer for under £50 they are simply not worth repairing.

I would try printing from a few different files and see if the same issue occurs.

Printer has odd colours even after deep cleaning. - Focusless
Might be a daft question but could it be the paper?
 Printer has odd colours even after deep cleaning. - Dog
I have an old Lexmark which came 'free' with my Mesh, had the same prob as you once and although the ink level doings was showing up as OK, I replaced the colour cart with a genuine Lexmark one ~ jobs a good'n.

I also only use genuine Lexmark photo paper as the other stuff orften gets mangled up.
 Printer has odd colours even after deep cleaning. - Zero
>> Magenta cartridge is 75% full. Worth buying a new colour cartridge set or will it
>> be a failed print head?

In a cannon, the print head is in the cartridge. New cartridge will fix it.
 Printer has odd colours even after deep cleaning. - CGNorwich
Are you sure? - have a canon pixma 5260 and the print head definitely is not in the cartridge
Mine is an MP540 Pixma. When you take out the ink cart it ends in a foam seal thing and I think the multiple print head is a seperate bit that comes out if you have taken all the inks out first.

Yes the head is seperate from the cartridge, might be worth trying a new cartridge, do you use genuine Canon ones?

Ah

Glad mine still uses the head in the cartridge then.

Ink will still fix it tho.

>> Glad mine still uses the head in the cartridge then.
>>

Still? What model is yours? Mine is a iP4000R wireless, about 5 years old now I guess, it has separate heads as, IIRC, all Canon's for some years have.

I use both Canon and compatibles... probably 75% compatible. Been doing so for 10yrs and all my previous printers have failed due to being worn out mecanically.... never due to ink issues.
Mp150 about three years old.
 Printer has odd colours even after deep cleaning. - Stuartli
>>In a Canon, the print head is in the cartridge. New cartridge will fix it. >>

My former printer, a Canon, had a separate print head which was, according to the manual, guaranteed for the lifetime of the printer.

Apart from the originally supplied four cartridges, I never used anything but compatibles.
Last edited by: Stuartli on Wed 9 Feb 11 at 17:26
 Printer has odd colours even after deep cleaning. - Pete
I have a similar problem, occasionally, with the cyan on my Canon. I use compatibles (about £2 per cartridge). If I replace the compatible with a proper Canon cartridge (about £16) it seems to sort out the problem, then when that cartridge runs out I go back to using a compatible. I've only had the problem with Cyan.
Decided I would have a fiddle as I had nothing to lose. Found out how to remove the print head which was very messy. Cleaned everything up with kitchen paper and rubbed the electrical contacts over.... wasn't really expecting a result but it's fine now.

Thanks for all the ideas.

Good result!
Latest Forum Posts