Computer Related > New Laptop Battery - Does it need "Running In" Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Perky Penguin Replies: 12

New Laptop Battery - Does it need "Running In" - Perky Penguin
I have just got a new laptop battery - the old one was only giving 40 minutes use. I am wondering if there are things I should do with the new one to optimise its life and performance. I am thinking that I should perhaps fully charge and discharge it 3 times or something of that sort? Any ideas or help most welcome, Thanks.
 New Laptop Battery - Does it need "Running In" - Zero
Yeah, I would do that, There will be many who come on here and say not to, but most of the experience I have in Laptop batteries says thats a good idea.

Thanks zero. I posted as I installed it and started charging. It has arrived 90% charged which suprised me a bit. I shall try the charge it fully and discharge it fully cycle and see how it likes it.
 New Laptop Battery - Does it need "Running In" - Bellboy
if 90% charged i would run it down a bitt hen fully charge it if it was mine a
 New Laptop Battery - Does it need "Running In" - Iffy
No harm in running it down occasionally during its lifetime.
It arrived @90% charge and took 15 minutes to 100%, before I read your input. I shall run it to 'flat' and see how much better it is than the old 40 minute job!
 New Laptop Battery - Does it need "Running In" - Iffy
...the old 40 minute job!...

Forty minutes is not too bad, we had an old laptop at work which would only run for three or four minutes.

I read somewhere a really knackered battery will block the charge from mains lead altogether.

In that case, the only way to get the appliance to work is to remove the battery.
3 hours from the first charge, that's an improvement!
 New Laptop Battery - Does it need "Running In" - J Bonington Jagworth
Laptop batteries seem to last less well than most other rechargeable devices (I have a 10-year old mobile phone that still works and a even older drill that has only just started to run out of puff). I have a theory that it's because they are often plugged in/switched on to the mains when already fully charged, and it takes the charging circuitry a while to register the fact, during which time it is cooking the battery.

I suspect that the charge detection methods are also pretty simple in most laptops, and there isn't much incentive to improve them while the existing arrangement ensures the steady sale of replacements...
 New Laptop Battery - Does it need "Running In" - Zero
Completely off the wall theory.

As battery life is a key selling point for Laptops, laptop charging battery charging is the most complicated of all available.

Alas all doomed to failure tho. Heat kills batteries, laptops are hot devices.
 New Laptop Battery - Does it need "Running In" - CGNorwich
Lots of useful info here

batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

New Laptop Battery - Does it need "Running In" - devonite
I bought a "brand new" Phillishave triple head razor just before Xmas, (16th Dec ). Instructions said "To optimise battery life, charge for 1 hour, then run till totally discharged through normal use before re-charging or using directly from mains".

Tis now 12th February, I have used it every morning, and the darn thing is still going strong!!
CGN thanks for that encyclopedic link to all things Lithium!!!!
Latest Forum Posts