Computer Related > Canon PIXMA MP990 printer. Has anyone got one? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 22

Canon PIXMA MP990 printer. Has anyone got one? - henry k
I am interested in buying a Canon PIXMA MP990 printer.
Most reviews rate it as one of the best on the market at present.
Has anyone bought one and what is their opinion?
I want to upgrade and want to keep it for a few years.
 Canon PIXMA MP990 printer. Has anyone got one? - rtj70
I cannot comment on this particular printer but I bought a PIXMA IP5000 around 4 years ago. It is a brilliant printer and based on this experience I can recommend Canon printers. I also have a Canon LiDE scanner which is very good too.
 Canon PIXMA MP990 printer. Has anyone got one? - Zero
After many years of various Epsons I got a canon pixmar mp150 a few years back.

It uses a lot of ink, but ignore the pop up telling you it needs more and it lasts longer than it says, Catridges are not cheap (cheaper than lexmark tho) but its never jammed, streaked, dried up, blobbed or thrown a wobler in four years.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 19 Mar 10 at 23:07
Thanks for your answers.
I am using up the ink on my old Epson. it is making all sorts of strange noises, my old Agfa scanners are unreliable now, and I need a good photo printer hence my interest in a replacement does all in one box ( I do not need FAX or document feed ).
SWMBO approves of the photo printing & copying so I am excused the high cost.

I used a small portable Canon printer when I was travelling around the world to strange places. Mine was faultless as were all the others in use by our team.
Long term reports are most useful.
Zero Have you used only Canon cartridges?
I note from a review
• Ink bleeds into cheap paper
• Six thirsty ink cartridges

Multiple cartridges are supposed to ease the pain of replacements.
I see some clones supplied as cartridges without chips. Any experience of chip swop?
 Canon PIXMA MP990 printer. Has anyone got one? - rtj70
My experience of colour inks from compatibes... mine has simple cartridges with no chips etc mind...

- I could get ink from around £1 per cartridge but tried more expensive ones
- I always got a green tint which I never got rid of
- Genuine cartridges were about £4 per cartridge so went back to Canon
Quick check on Ebay.
Packs of the five colour cartridges - £11 cloned with chips but £43 for Canon.
Still the same sort of cost of clones, 25% vs Canon OE as you found.
 Canon PIXMA MP990 printer. Has anyone got one? - MD
Morning Henry,

I had the same dilemma and I bought a Canon IP 4700 (superseded the IP 4006). It is brilliant and more. Just messing about I printed off a pic' of one of the Labradors (full head and shoulders straight on) Her coat is unusual in that it actually glistens and you can see every hair in the pic' and it was printed on copier paper!!

I have just bought 2 sets of refills from Amazon for I think £25.00 The write up's for these refills were outstanding, but as yet I cannot confirm. Buy the printer. Only about £75.00 I think. I bought it from a net company called Printerbase. I have used them twice and they have been brilliant, even talking to the principal re: a query.

I will confirm the refill source in a mo.

Best regards....... Martin D
Henry. £29.41 (2 packs) delivered from a company called More Inks. That price is from Amazon which proved to be cheaper than More Inks own site.

HTH.......MD
 Canon PIXMA MP990 printer. Has anyone got one? - hjd
We have a Pixma MP600R which has been no trouble. We only use original inks though.
The printer is so new, inputing the model gives few hits for cartridges.
I need to use the cartridge reference.

Thanks for suggestions.
 Canon PIXMA MP990 printer. Has anyone got one? - Fenlander
These are the suppliers I often use... they list it.

www.inkandstuff.co.uk/ink/canon-ink-inkjet-cartridges/canon-pixma-mp990/default.php/cPath/183_3427

I usually look out for the multipack buys when available so have a few in stock from when the price looks OK.
 Canon PIXMA MP990 printer. Has anyone got one? - Statistical Outlier
Declaration of interest: I worked for Cartridge World for 3 months in 2003.

I still use CW for refilling both my Canon inkjet and Ricoh laser toner. They have a huge range of inks, so they use exactly the ink that you should for a particular printer.

Most tanks (as used by Canon (as opposed to Epson who have the print head on the cartridge)) can be refilled 3 or 4 times before the sponge starts to lose it's properties. They get tested to make sure they are okay before they leave the shop. The only problem is that as they don't get vacuum packed, you're best to use them within a few weeks of being refilled (might be solved by now, not sure).

I found it well worth it - you save a fortune!
>>Most tanks (as used by Canon (as opposed to Epson who have the print head on the cartridge)) can be refilled 3 or 4 times before the sponge starts to lose it's properties.
>>
My Epson has got simple cartridges and I have been refilling them myself.
I came across Tesco selling off refil kits for about £2 so I gathered up a handful and am working my way through the little bottles.
I suspected the sponge was causing the delay in the printer output stabilising the correct colours.
I plan to get my new printer soon hence the original question.
I still intend to use up the ink ( tight wad?) but then will treat the new machine to new cartridges.
>>The only problem is that as they don't get vacuum packed, you're best to use them within a few weeks of being refilled (might be solved by now, not sure).
>>
A good tip especially as I will initially want a spare set rather than wait until one of the six runs out.
Will add CW to my list of suppliers
Thanks
I buy from Moreink on Amazon. So good so far.
 Canon PIXMA MP990 printer. Has anyone got one? - Kevin
I have the predecessor, the MP980 and I'm very, very pleased with it.

Like you, I wanted an all-in-one scanner/printer package. Scanner quality was more important to me than print quality because I have alot of old negs and transparencies I want to digitize before they deteriorate any further. It hasn't disappointed me even with the Canon supplied software but I'm going to see how it performs using VueScan with IT8 targets. Scanner warm-up is very quick and colour negs or transparencies take about 2mins per image at 2400dpi, B+W negs take a little longer.

One handy feature is that you can lay multiple existing photos onto the glass and it will recognise and preview/print them individually even if they are a little skew.

I've only used the printer for about 100 10x15cm prints so it's still on the original inks but the quality has been excellent. On good quality photo paper (I'm using Kodak Ultra Premium) prints are almost indistinguishable from my dye-sub printer.

Setup is easy and it took me about an hour from opening the box to running a test scan connected via WiFi through my router.

I'd have no hesitation in recommending it if you have the space - it is quite bulky.

Kevin...
Kevin. Thanks for all that detail it is very useful. The size of the beast was mentioned in some reviews.

Thanks for the cartridge links. I will store that info.
It would appear that the cartridge folks are not very aware that the MP980 & MP990 have six cartridges (that includes an "extra" cartridge of Grey ink, ref CLI 521 GY.) Searches produce very very low hit rates and no multipacks. Buying similar multi- packs from the companies recommended and then adding the grey cartridge seems the solution.
 Canon PIXMA MP990 printer. Has anyone got one? - Zero
My only comment is can your use justify a MP990? There are much smaller and cheaper machines in the MP family with similar function.
 Canon PIXMA MP990 printer. Price has gone way up. - henry k
>> My only comment is can your use justify a MP990? There are much smaller and
>> cheaper machines in the MP family with similar function.
>>
Last night my old printer was making some orrible noises and appered to not want to get into start mode so I returned to my notes and to look for a replacement on the web

Gulp - This is what I found.

Review Date: 15 Jan 2010 Price when reviewed: £228

Buy it now for: £399

Well the current market has scuppered that model
I knew prices of Japanese kit were due to rise BUT BUT that is a megga rise.
So I am back to looking.
except
Murphy has re-appeared tonight and the old printer is back working again.

So beware and not delay if you wnt Japanese kit.
 Canon PIXMA MP990 printer. Price has gone way up. - Kevin
>Buy it now for: £399

Some suppliers still seem to have the MP980 available for around £200.
 Canon PIXMA MP990 printer. Price has gone way up. - Tooslow
Google shopping shows the 990 for £252 from Kikatek, £152 from someone I've never heard of (so would not buy from). You don't need to spend £400.
John
 Canon PIXMA MP990 printer. Price has gone way up. - henry k
>> Google shopping shows the 990 for £252 from Kikatek, £152 from someone I've never heard of
>>
I have not been able to find one discounted and in stock so have come to the conclusion that I guessed wrong re price rise and it is now discontinued. A few seem to be around at max price.
One site pointed to " a newer model" . The MG8150 seems to be the new model with a
cheaper version MG8100 that has no film scanner.
 Canon PIXMA MP990 printer. Has anyone got one? - Tooslow
I've got a MG6150 printer / scanner and one down side is that the new model range, introduced last autumn use a new format cartridge. Third party cartridges were not available when I needed some just before Christmas. I have used compatibles from MoreInks and been very happy with them. The lady there (somewhere in Germany) told me that it would be about 4 months before compatibles were available.

Try 7dayshop if you need to buy genuine, they had a (very) special offer on a month back, might still be on.

John
Thanks for your experience with the MG6150 cartridges.
Latest Forum Posts