Computer Related > Cursor jumps around on laptop while typing Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Mike H Replies: 19

Cursor jumps around on laptop while typing - Mike H
I'm fed up with writing emails, documents etc on my laptop, and finding that the cursor has moved to some other random position in the text while I've been typing meaning that I then have to sort out the mess. AFAIK I keep my hands well away from the touch pad and I'm 100% sure I don't touch it while typing. Anyone else had this problem, and even better, solved it? Never happens on a desktop.
 Cursor jumps around on laptop while typing - Zero
It is the touch pad. Its caused by the fleshy part of your lower thumb(s)/palm brushing on the pad.

Disable it and use a mouse, problem solved.
Nope, definitely not touching it. And I reduced the sensitivity to try to avoid it being affected by proximity rather than touch.
Tape a piece of card over it and then come back and tell me.

OK ;-)

Or even better I'll try disabling it while I'm typing. It doesn't happen all the time, but enough to be irritating, so it might be a day or so before I prove it one way or the other.
 Cursor jumps around on laptop while typing - RattleandSmoke
Make sure the correct touch pad drivers are installed. You can also reduce the sensitivity of the touchpad which helps. The reason this is happening is because it thinks you are clicking on the mouse and moving the cursor.

Is a very common complaint I get but very easily fixed.
 Cursor jumps around on laptop while typing - AnotherJohnH
there's a utility called "touchfreeze" which I ended up putting on my laptop to stop the problems you describe.
 Cursor jumps around on laptop while typing - Bagpuss
I have this problem with my work Dell Laptop. It has a high power battery stuck to the front of the keyboard which is tempting to use as a handrest when typing. I'm fairly certain the noticeable flexing of the battery (and therefore the front of the case) due to the weight of my hands causes the touchpad sensor to be activated.
The touchpad is not activated by pressure or flexing.

The battery is forcing your hand over it.

As a computer engineer (and years and years before a typewriter engineer) I could have fixed 50% of problems by cutting peoples hands off.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 17 Feb 11 at 11:44
 Cursor jumps around on laptop while typing - Crankcase

>> As a computer engineer (and years and years before a typewriter engineer) I could have
>> fixed 50% of problems by cutting peoples hands off.

How very half hearted. You could have fixed 100% by cutting their heads off.

>>
>> >> As a computer engineer (and years and years before a typewriter engineer) I could
>> have
>> >> fixed 50% of problems by cutting peoples hands off.
>>
>>
>> How very half hearted. You could have fixed 100% by cutting their heads off.

Very true, I was never any good at thinking outside the box.
>> The touchpad is not activated by pressure or flexing.

You are right, I was a bit lazy writing that.

I think the case flexing causes activation of the left mouse button causing the cursor to be inadvertently repositioned to where the mouse is pointing. I can sometimes cause this to happen by deliberately pressing down on the battery or on the case close to the mouse pad. My hands don't go near the mousepad or buttons when I type. I tend not to use it anymore anyway, I prefer a traditional mouse.

The way the battery is attached to the case is pretty dodgy imho. Heavy battery, lots of plastic bits and serious leverage on the mounting points. Time to invest in an aluminium MacBook perhaps.
The main issue found with touchpads is the "tap to click" action. At the very least disable this feature and use the proper touchpad buttons.
>> The main issue found with touchpads is the "tap to click" action.

I always disable this on laptops. What is worse is the tap to scroll function some of them have on the right hand side of the touchpad field - hate that.
 Cursor jumps around on laptop while typing - Bellboy
if its any help my £1.89 mices flom chinar sometimes do viss
i flind best to diss cone ekt you s bee and ree hin stall
work perfikt aftler
Bellbiy, that's like one of your normal posts.
 Cursor jumps around on laptop while typing - Bellboy
cheers ozer
>> You can also reduce the sensitivity of the touchpad which helps.
I'm ahead of you rattle - see my second post ;-)

I haven't typed anything substantial since the original post, but am doing so atm. I have a mouse, but it's a bit difficult to use while typing in the armchair....
 Cursor jumps around on laptop while typing - AnotherJohnH
lmgtfy.com/?q=touchfreeze+windows+7
Thanks AnotherJohnH, I have downloaded & installed this software and will report back. Thank you!
Latest Forum Posts