Computer Related > Some more itunes / ipod questions Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 26

Some more itunes / ipod questions - BobbyG
Son, has just got an ipod touch, currently has an old style ipod nano. We are not sure which computer he loaded the music onto the nano from, we suspect it was my daughter's a couple of years ago but she has changed her set up several times since then.

So, he now has my old Acer laptop , 40GB (his touch is 32GB) and the Acer has a lot of my "old fogie" music as he puts it.

So my questions are:

1. When I went into the hard drive and deleted files from the music folder, itunes still showed these although when you clicked on them you got a message saying unable to find file. How do I "refresh " the itunes library to only have valid songs in it?

2. Is it possible to copy music from his Nano to the itunes on the laptop? Last time I tried something like this, it wanted to wipe the ipod and, effectively, sync one way only from itunes to the ipod?

3. If not, what is the best way for him to get the music from his 4GB Nano onto his 32gb itouch?

4. My daughter got a itouch last summer and has updated her own itunes etc with it. Is it possible to add another itouch to that and only copy over what music he wants?

5. Due to the small size of the Acer hard drive, will itunes allow you to use an external HDD as the music folder?

Thats all for now!
 Some more itunes / ipod questions - smokie
1. Just select all (Ctrl A) in iTunes main window and press delete. If the music files aren;t there you will get a prompt to delete the entries. If they happen to be there you will get a second prompt asking whether you want to remove the music file too. (NB don;t check the little box to suppress that message, it's messy to get it back if you ever want it)

2. Not with iTunes but I believe you can do this with other products. You'd copy back the music files to a folder, then add that folder to iTunes to be able to manage it

3. As per 2. Or find the original source and re-sync

4. Yes, iTunes can support more than one device. Simplest way is for him to create a playlist(s) with what he wants then sync only those playlists. You'll nee to set iTunes to Manual sync otherwise it will just copy everything.

5. Yes. You define where the music folder is in Edit/Preferences/Advanced tab. I allow iTunes to manage that location by checking Keep iTunes Library Organised and Copy to iTunes Media folder when adding to library
 Some more itunes / ipod questions - Zero
www.amazon.co.uk/IPod-ITunes-Dummies-Tony-Bove/dp/0471747394
"Temporarily out of stock."
LOL
OK, have transferred my daughter's music library onto son's laptop.

When I first loaded up itunes, it asked if I wanted it to search for music but I said no as I have 2 folders on there, one with my old music and one with my daughters so I didn't want it picking up both.

I did as Smokie said
5. Yes. You define where the music folder is in Edit/Preferences/Advanced tab. I allow iTunes to manage that location by checking Keep iTunes Library Organised and Copy to iTunes Media folder when adding to library

but no music is appearing in th elibrary. The destination is correct as above, and if I go into organise library the destination is correct. But it seems to be lacking a sort of "upload all these files from library"? How do I get the music to actaully appear in the itunes library?

I tried deleting itunes and reloading in the hope I got the prompt to search for the music but it didn't do this the next time.

Any thoughts? And keep them clean ! :)
 Some more itunes / ipod questions - rtj70
Is it recognising the iPod is plugged in? Have you told iTunes to sync all music or at least told it which tracks to sync by selecting them.
It recognises the ipod is plugged in as it shows in the left hand side of itunes under devices or whatever the heading is.

How do I get the itunes to sync, I know how to sync the itunes to ipod when the music is all showing in the itunes library, but how do I get it to physically get them into the library in the first place?

(In my defence this was at 1.30 this morning and I was losing the will to live so if it is something simple and easy, don't shout at me too much!!! )
When you click on the iPod under devices, does it have sync only checked music/videos ticked? And if yes have you selected/checked the music tracks to sync.
Top Itunes menu

File - Add folder to library.
I was assuming the music is showing up. You've not got manually manage music/videos selected have you? If you have you drag/drop music onto the iPod.
rtj, not sure, I would need to check that when I get home. Is that in the preferences tab?
Tried that zero, it didn't work :(
It has to work - every time regardless of how you have itunes set up. . Are you pointing to the right folder? what happens when you do it? what music format are the files in the folder?
 Some more itunes / ipod questions - Crankcase
>> It has to work - every time regardless of how you have itunes set up.

Nah. It just doesn't always. Have had recent experience when making mp4 movies of "Add Folder to Library" and naff all happens. Until a few reboots later, when it just arbitrarily appears, and on more than one occasion.

Latest iTunes, latest windows patches, everything.

Nasty piece of software in my opinion, and I don't find it at all intuitive.

As they, say, ymmv.

You have told i|Tunes you want to sync music haven't you?
 Some more itunes / ipod questions - Crankcase
I've ticked all the right boxes in all the right places. I know this because with no changes, after a couple of reboots it just works the way it's supposed to. It just doesn't always work first time.

>> It has to work - every time regardless of how you have itunes set up.
>> . Are you pointing to the right folder? what happens when you do it? what
>> music format are the files in the folder?
>>
>>
He's right ya know.

The slightly more clumsy way would be to rename the existing folder to, say, junk music, then import that into iTunes *using the same method)_ and iTunes will add to the catalogue and also copy the files across to your music library. Will take longer, and you need double the size of the library - but once it's done you can delete the Junk library. Oh, and you have to have the tick in the "Copy files to iTunes folder when adding to library" in the Advanced tab. It also searches sub-folders.
Last edited by: smokie on Fri 18 Feb 11 at 19:11
OK I am getting nowhere fast with this and a couple of things that may be the issue are

a. the size of hard drive space I have available
b. the format in which I have copied it over from my daughter's laptop
c. my total lack of understanding!!

Now the computer has c: and d:. When I try to install itunes I select the c: where all the other programs are. I would assume the program would go on there and I would then put the songs into d:

However, I have now deleted itunes using add/remove programs but in
c:/doc&set/user name/my docs/ there is a folder called bobbyg music, within that there is a folder called itunes (2.58GB), within that we have
itunes music library
itunes library.itl
itunes library genius.itdb
itunes library extras.itdb
folder called itunes media
folder called album artwork

Why is that there and what purpose does it serve?

on my d: I also have a folder called bobbyg music (14.8GB) which is the folder I transferred over from my daughter's laptop and this was the folder I was trying to use for the itunes library, and witihin that I have various folders (which are individual full cds), some individual songs, and 2 folders called itunes (9.64gb) and another folder called automatically add to itunes which is empty.

Am I right in saying that if you add a song to itunes library, you are, in effect copying it over? In other words, if I have 10gb of music on the computer and put them all on itunes, then this will need 20gb?

I have installed itunes various times before on computers without any hassle, I don't know if the problems here are to do with limited disk space, or the fact that the folders I have copied over from daughter's computer already have itunes within them?

I am going to try a full reboot of the computer again and then try and only drag songs from daughter's laptop over, then install itunes and see if that makes a difference.

However any other help, as always, would be much appreciated!

And going out to hit the bottle tonight so will check for any replies in morning!

Hic!

>> folder called itunes (2.58GB), within that we have
>> itunes music library
>> itunes library.itl
>> itunes library genius.itdb
>> itunes library extras.itdb
>> folder called itunes media
>> folder called album artwork

where is the actual music, and what are the files called.
the actual music that I transferred over is in the folder in the d:

the files that are on their own in the folder are mp3, the music that is in the folder called itunes music are m4a.
Have you set iTunes to import and convert music to m4a format? I'm getting confused what your problem is now. I thought it was a problem syncing the iPod and not getting music into iTunes itself.

When you add a folder you can have iTunes work one of two ways:

1. Import a copy of the files into the iTunes library (so will appear on your iTunes library folder)
2. Import the files but use use the files from their current location - they would not appear under the iTunes library folder

Either way, it still imports the music. If they were MP3 type files before I'd expect them to still be MP3 files and not MP4 format.

So which files are you trying to get into iTunes? MP3s or MP4s? And are the music tracks identical in both folders?

Do your music tracks actually appear in iTunes at all? If yes then we can worry about duplicates and try getting the synchronisation working.
 Some more itunes / ipod questions - Hard Cheese

Bobby, I guess those are simply files left after the iTunes uninstall.

Install iTunes on the other PC then go Edit > Preferences > Advanced, this shows the file location where iTunes will store music that you download and RIP (i.e. D:iTunes ), you can change this location if you wish. Close iTunes.

Then use Windows Explorer to go to this file location, in this file location there will be a folder called Music, and drag and drop or copy and paste the music files copied from the previous computer into the folder called Music. If you have the tracks only you will have to create folders as follows.

>Music>Artist>Album>Tracks

i.e.

>Music>David Gray>White Ladder>Babylon etc

Then start iTunes (and sign in) and go Advanced>Get Album Artwork, this will then retrieve the album artwork etc for the albums you have copied into iTunes.

Take all of the files that are called M4A and MP3 and put them on their own into a single folder.

So to be clear we just have a folder with music in it. Nothing else.

Unistall itunes

Delete ALL other files and folders and itunes crap you copied over from other sources.

Again to repeat all we have is a folder with MUSIC in it.

Install latest Itunes from the web

Then file import your music folder into Itunes.
Ok, think I have succeeded by taking all your advice which is very much appreciated.

I deleted itunes again, deleted all the music from the computer and then rebooted the computer back to initial install.

Once I let all the updates do their stuff, I then imported 10 tracks straight into the music folder, 10 straight forward mp3 tracks.

I then reloaded itunes and imported this folder into the itunes and they appeared correctly. I then loaded more tracks into this music folder and itunes seems to have picked them up as well. I will try importing some folders like Cheddar suggests (incidentally David Gray is coincidentally one of the folders - white ladder, great album but I digress..) however it slowly but surely seems to be working again.

In one way I feel as if I haven't done anything different this time but I suppose by importing the files individually it may well have overcame any problems with the folder I brought over from my daughter's laptop - perhaps as it already had some itune folders within it, it may have confused the set up in some way?

Anyway thanks to you guys we are making progress, we have sound on the itouch now as well as a pile of useless apps :)

All in, starting with the football earlier, its been a good day!!! :)
If you copied over the entire iTunes folder then you also copied the iTunes database files. So probably confused the hell out of the newly installed copy of iTunes.

Hope it syncs with the iPod touch.
Latest Forum Posts