Computer Related > wav to mp3 Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Tooslow Replies: 25

wav to mp3 - Tooslow
Can anyone recommend software to convert files from wav to mp3? I can rip CDs to mp3 but I have a load of .wav files I want to convert. Something that I can point at a stack of files and leave to get on with it would be ideal. If it can work out what it is from the artist/album/track name structure, even better.

Thanks
John
 wav to mp3 - spamcan61
I would think Audacity can do it, if not Goldwave certainly can - the automatic tagging could be tricky though, my usual recommendation Mp3tag will do it, but only one album at a time.
Last edited by: spamcan61 on Fri 18 Feb 11 at 18:03
 wav to mp3 - Zero
Audacity will do it yes, but can it be batch automated?

Make sure you keep all the albums complete, tracks in the order they were ripped, and MP3Tag can auto tag them.
 wav to mp3 - Crankcase
Audacity does it with "chains".
 wav to mp3 - Tooslow
Huh?

Sorry. I've just done one track with audacity. It doesn't seem to batch 'em up and it asks for what I presume is tag information as you do it, but I'll check in a minute. I could be here for a while... :-)

Incidentally, is anyone using Songbird? Any good? WMP has mysteriously lost all of my "catalog" info (and it annoys me no end that it has no concept of a catalog. I guess it relies on MP3 tag data). So I'm thinking of tagging everything for the last (please!) time.

John
 wav to mp3 - Zero
Audacity doesn't autotag. Thats what you use MP3Tag for after you have converted them all.

wav to mp3 - Tooslow
So that means that I'm wasting my time answering the track name/ number etc questions it asks and I need to follow up with autotag?

I've got goldwave running right now and it's doing a folder at a time. It's chomping through 'em.

Thanks,
John
 wav to mp3 - Zero
Its important to keep the ripped CD albums complete and the tracks in sequence for auto tagging later.
 wav to mp3 - Tooslow
yup. Understood. I will add track nbr to the file (but not the tag name) if I can.
Thanks,
John
 wav to mp3 - Aretas
I use Format Factory, which will also do video conversions. Won't do the wav to mp3 on ripped cds, presumably some type of copywrite process prevents it.
 wav to mp3 - Tooslow
Thanks, I'll experiment.
John
 wav to mp3 - Stuartli
See:

download.cnet.com/WAV-to-MP3-Encoder/3000-2140_4-10060500.html

If you don't have too many:

www.wav-mp3.com/
 wav to mp3 - RattleandSmoke
I use Audacity with Lame, can edit things then too and normalise it etc.
 wav to mp3 - Tooslow
Normalise! And you a member of the hi fi fraternity too! :-)

John
 wav to mp3 - RattleandSmoke
It depends what I am using it for, it is very important if it is be used in DVDs etc. For my own personal use I use FLAC. If I do use MP3 it has to be at least 320kbps.
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Fri 18 Feb 11 at 18:47
 wav to mp3 - spamcan61
Using Goldwave it's just 'File' > 'Batch processing' then point it at the appropriate files / folders and select the target file format, although, as with Audacity you'll need to install the MP3 codec separately.
 wav to mp3 - Tooslow
Yup, it's running well. mp3tag thing to follow. Well, this'll keep me quiet for a while.

John
 wav to mp3 - Tooslow
OK, I'm struggling with MP3TAG. I'm trying to use Convert Filename to Tag. It could save a lot of work. But "OK" is greyed out. Preview looks like it's generating the right info. i/p is;

folder1/folder2/folder3/artist/album/track name

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
John
 wav to mp3 - Zero
you need to highlight the files you are changing.

If you are doing the filename to tag string conversion, select all the files you want to do it too first.
 wav to mp3 - Tooslow
OK, I'm being dim here.

I have a list of tracks in front of me with no tag info. I highlight a block and select "Convert, Filename - Tag".
Hit enter and a window appears "Select format string" and underneath;
%artist% - %album% - %track% - %title%
which is ideal. The track is actually in;
drivefolder1folder2folder3artistalbumtrackname (the backslashes are vanishing when I post)

Or am I misunderstanding? Is it expecting a filename format artistalbumtracknbrtrackname? In which case I'm goosed and in for a lot of typing. I can't get "OK" to "ungrey".

Thanks,
John
Last edited by: Tooslow on Fri 18 Feb 11 at 19:19
 wav to mp3 - Zero
Try this

Highlight all the tracks in a single album

Click tag sources

Seclect freedb

Determine from slected files

It should find all the tag info, click ok and it will write all the tag info into those files.

wav to mp3 - Tooslow
Thanks, I'll give that a go, had enough for now! I've made good progress and I can see how I can get everything to MP3 woithout too much difficulty. No doubt I'll get smarter at tagging with a bit of practice..

Thanks for all of the help.

John
 wav to mp3 - spamcan61
to use the filename to tag function you do need the filename in a format understandable to mp3tag.

for example if you had a file called:-

stu - 3 wheels on my wagonR.mp3

and you set mp3tag to %artist% - %title%

then it will set the srtist tag to 'Stu' and the title tag to '3 wheels on my wagonR'

you will need 100% consistent filenames to get that to work on a batch of files.

maybe faster to highlight one album's worth at a time (assuming the tracks are in the right order) and use the freedb or amazon lookup to try and find the right album and add the tags.

EDIT - as zero is suggesting

Not fun if you've got 100s of albums.
Last edited by: spamcan61 on Fri 18 Feb 11 at 19:27
 wav to mp3 - Bellboy
for example if you had a file called:-

stu - 3 wheels on my wagonR.mp3

>>>>>>
>sorry but that will never be a hit
 wav to mp3 - Zero
>> OK, I'm being dim here.
>>
>> I have a list of tracks in front of me with no tag info. I
>> highlight a block and select "Convert, Filename - Tag".
>> Hit enter and a window appears "Select format string" and underneath;
>> %artist% - %album% - %track% - %title%
>> which is ideal. The track is actually in;
>> drivefolder1folder2folder3artistalbumtrackname (the backslashes are vanishing when I post)
>>
>> Or am I misunderstanding? Is it expecting a filename format artistalbumtracknbrtrackname? In which case I'm
>> goosed and in for a lot of typing. I can't get "OK" to "ungrey"

It checks the filename for strings and seperators you will need to filer the string

%dummy% / %dummy% / %dummy% / %artist% / %album% / %title%

As you enter the string a preview apears below your filer input box if its right

Ie use the dummy to strip out the unrequired file location detail
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 18 Feb 11 at 19:31
 wav to mp3 - Tooslow
That's what I thought. I seem to have established most of the principles, I'll persist - tomorrow.

Thanks
John
Latest Forum Posts