Computer Related > WIFI printer set up problems Car Deals
Thread Author: hillman1 Replies: 17

WIFI printer set up problems - hillman1
Hi All,

A bit of advice please.

I bought a wireless printer last week and have set it up, but come up a problem on setting it up.

The printer driver CD didn't cover a Windows 7 set up so downloaded the drivers from the manufacturer. The printer works when connected to the PC via the cable, but not on wireless.

I set up the wifi as best as possible but, to be honest, the instructions were virtually useless. Looking through the menu on the printer screen it says that the signal strength is excellent so I am pretty sure it is connected wirelessly to my router, however it won't print.

I have tried looking online for any pointers, but not come up with anything yet- does anyone here have any suggestions?

Thanks
Nick
 WIFI printer set up problems - Tooslow
Nick, what brand of printer?

Your wifi is encrypted? You'll need to take that into account in your set up. I presume you did?

Also - I doubt that wired and wireless will work at the same time so it may be a bit confused by the wired install. I'd be inclined to start again, without the wired connection and go carefully through your wireless set up. Many routers want new devices to be switched on within a minute or so of pressing a button on the router.

John
Hi John,

It is an Epson Sx515 model.

The wifi is encrypted and I put the 26 digit code into the printer to pick up the connection. It seemed to register with the router as it says excellent on the signal strength.

The set up says you need to have the printer connected via the cable to to pc initially After I completed the setup I printed some documents with the cable connected. After that I removed the cable and this was when the problems started.

I am assuming that it is a setting on the pc that needs to be adjusted, but havig played around with it, not got anywhere.

The last point you mention I don't think is relevant with my wireless router- it hasn't needed it on other devices in the past (that is a 3com)

Thanks for the suggestion. I may well go down the un-install the printer route and starting again.

Regards

Nick
 WIFI printer set up problems - Zero
Have you "found" the printer on your network and sharing centre from the pc yet?

WIFI printer set up problems - Tooslow
OK, mine's a Canon and setup is quite different from the way you describe it so I'll duck out and leave it to the Epson owners.

John
Thanks for your help John.

Zero, I don't think I have. There were no details in the instructions about this, but having found some instructions from a reviewer who purchased the same printer who put his own instructions down I went into that section of the computer, but despite being reasonably competent (despite appearances) I wasn't sure what to do.

Part of the issue, I suspect, is that this is the 1st Win 7 PC I have used and I am still trying to get to grips with the differences to the XP machines at work!
Thanks

Nick
>> Thanks for your help John.
>>
>> Zero, I don't think I have. There were no details in the instructions about this,
>> but having found some instructions from a reviewer who purchased the same printer who put
>> his own instructions down I went into that section of the computer, but despite being
>> reasonably competent (despite appearances) I wasn't sure what to do.
>>
>> Part of the issue, I suspect, is that this is the 1st Win 7 PC
>> I have used and I am still trying to get to grips with the differences
>> to the XP machines at work!

Ok Win 7 specific here.

Click on your network icon on the bottom right of the task bar,
Open network and sharing center

you should have a diagram of your computer, router and internet

Click on the picture of your router, and it should bring up a list of everything on your home network.

Is your printer there?

Hi Zero,

No it isn't showing, although I am sure it was yesterday.

The wifi light is on on the printer though....

Nick
 WIFI printer set up problems - John H
Can you confirm that you have tried:

1. Open Devices and Printers by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, and then, on the Start menu, clicking Devices and Printers.
2. Click Add a printer.
3. In the Add Printer wizard, click Add a network, wireless or Bluetooth printer.
4. In the list of available printers, select the one you want to use, and then click Next. (If your computer is connected to a network, only printers listed in Active Directory for your domain are displayed in the list.)
5. If prompted, install the printer driver on your computer by clicking Install driver. Administrator permission required If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
6. Complete the additional steps in the wizard, and then click Finish.

from windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Install-a-printer
 WIFI printer set up problems - AnotherJohnH
extra bits from the epson support site which may help:

tinyurl.com/6kz88dr

and

tinyurl.com/5wgby4v
Thanks for the advice all.

I didn't go through the Add Printer function- I just downloaded the drivers from Epson as the included CD was not for Win 7. I thought this was going to be enough.

I am at work at the mo, but may try to pop home at lunchtime to go through the suggestions mentioned and see if I have any joy, so thank you!

Thanks to AnotherJohnH, I looked on the website, but couldn't see those pages for looking! I think by the time I started looking on line I was loosing the will to live!

Nick
 WIFI printer set up problems - Focusless
I have an SX425 but haven't yet tried wireless setup. However I did notice that the printer only appears to supprt WiFi G, whereas my router is the N type. Is that going to be a problem? (Might be relevant here if it is.)
N is backwards compatible to G, so in theory it should be ok.
>> N is backwards compatible to G, so in theory it should be ok.

Thanks - I got the impression that there was some sort of encryption or protocol supported by N which gave extended range, which I might have to turn off to allow use with the printer. I'll RTFM this evening.
Last edited by: Focus on Mon 21 Feb 11 at 09:19
 WIFI printer set up problems - John H
>> allow use with the printer. I'll RTFM this evening.
>>

As Zero says.

Plus, in any case, t'internet says "The SX425 .... This is a wireless printer, (802.11B,G & N), ... "

Do RTFM in the evening, and then confirm if the t'internet statement is true.

>> Plus, in any case, t'internet says "The SX425 .... This is a wireless printer, (802.11B,G
>> & N), ... "

Ok, that's good to hear (assuming it's true) - I'd put off trying the Wifi because I thought it would degrade the network. (More of a principal thing than any practical effect though probably.) Will report back.
>> Will report back.

It works - ta :)
Thanks John H.

Just popped home and done as you mentioned above and all working within about 2 minutes.

Much obliged to all for the suggestions.

Nick
Latest Forum Posts