Computer Related > Kaspersky IS issue. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Hard Cheese Replies: 13

Kaspersky IS issue. - Hard Cheese

Aside from the work laptop we have four PCs, one laptop running Microsoft Security Essentials and, until today, three workstations running Kaspersky IS.

During last year I noticed occasionally on my machine unusual CPU and hard disc activity, it would either burst into a frenzy of activity for a few seconds with Task Manager showing around 60% CPU or sit there for a few minutes going chnk, chnk, chnk, chnk with Task Manager showing around 2 - 8% CPU, in both cases it was the Kaspersky avp.exe process that was causing the activity. This didn't coincide with updates or scanning and the other two workstations are not effected.

In December I commenced dialogue with Kaspersky and upgraded to IS 2011. Kaspersky seemed to indicate that it was not normal and requested some Hijackthis and Getsysteminfo logs, all was apparently in order. I have also conducted various scans and all is clean.

I have now removed Kaspersky from this machine and installed 30 day trial of F-Secure IS2010 (full version) and all is peaceful, no chnk, chnk.

I might stick with F-Secure or I might install Microsoft Security Essentials, either way I would like to know what was causing the Kaspersky avp.exe issue, I guess if I could solve it I would probably reinstall Kaspersky IS.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
 Kaspersky IS issue. - Zero
Based on my experience, almost without fail every AV gets performance issues at some time.

exept MSE.

You put kasperski on, it clogged up, you took it off - it went,.

Whats to know?
 Kaspersky IS issue. - smokie
...especially as Kaspersky himself couldn't see a problem...

A quick Google indicates that disabling self defence, or disabling the network file checker may have helped. But there is so much going on in these things and you really can;t guess - you could have tried disabling all the configurable bits to see if it fixed it, then re-enabling them one at a time to find the culprit.

Fault diagnosis can be quite hard because no two computers are the same, in the products they have, the hardware and then the configuration.

As an ex-senior tech with strong software skills it used to frustrate me that the work IT people would simply blow the image back on rather than try to resolve any issue on my laptop. But I can see now that they were putting it back to a known state, and it was much quicker to do that than fault-find - and even if you could identify the fault there may be nothing can be done about it.
>> As an ex-senior tech with strong software skills

you will know how much work went into the base image, and how it was tested and tuned and honed to be a piece of magic.

>> work IT people would simply blow the image back on rather than try to resolve
>> any issue on my laptop.

users always screwing up your work Why cant they leave it alone.

But I can see now that they were putting it
>> back to a known state, and it was much quicker to do that than fault-find
>> - and even if you could identify the fault there may be nothing can be
>> done about it.

Still at least you know you can always put it back into the known working state you tried so hard to perfect

:) :) :)
Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 27 Feb 11 at 03:34
 Kaspersky IS issue. - RattleandSmoke
I wish we could get away with that in the domestic world! Some shops sadly do though :(. It dosn't matter if you have 256MB RAM and running XP S3 with Norton and 200mb of free hard drive space they still just reinstall windows when all it needed was some crap removing and extra RAM.

Of course sometimes I have to do it, I am not going to spend 10 hours removing a virus.

I have gone off Kaspersky a bit, seems to be a few too many machines with it on getting infected, MSE seems to be just as good in the real world.
"I wish we could get away with that in the domestic world! Some shops sadly do though :(. It dosn't matter if you have 256MB RAM and running XP S3 with Norton and 200mb of free hard drive space they still just reinstall windows when all it needed was some crap removing and extra RAM."

Exactomundo ratts my old mate. Thats why you should charge more for a bespoke service.

>> you could have tried disabling all the configurable bits to see if
>> it fixed it, then re-enabling them one at a time to find the culprit.
>>

Kinda tried that to no avail.

Thanks all.

>>
>> You put kasperski on, it clogged up, you took it off - it went,.
>>

Maybe though a completely new install exhibited the same issues.

I dont ponder this stuff

If it screws up - it goes, there are plenty of alternatives that dont.

This PC is much more relaxed and responsive on F-Secure today.

Why do you rate MS Security Essentials Z? I mean I like it though what are your reasons?

Kaspersky IS issue. - Bellboy
i tried f secure a few years back
and avg
got to say i lurve free avast bestist always
 Kaspersky IS issue. - smokie
Not taking words out of Z's mouth, but my reasons for liking it are that being a M$ product it should interact well with their operating system, and it seems as effective as the previous product I was using (Avast) at finding things.

OK after a week or so I can say that this machine is more responsive on F-Secure so Kaspersky was clearly hogging resources.

Strange that it doesn't on the other two machines I have using it both of which are less powerful. The only key dfference is that this machine has two hard drives, perhaps Kaspersky is a little inefficient at handling additional drives.

I will put MSE on next before buying F-Secure, I have it on a laptop and that is fine.

OK, I have run F-Secure IS 2011 as a trial for a month and far less CPU and hard disc activity has been apparent.

I have loaded MSE this morning and will see how that goes.

Latest Forum Posts