Computer Related > Moving Programmes on a Partitioned Disc Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Perky Penguin Replies: 8

Moving Programmes on a Partitioned Disc - Perky Penguin
My partner's Toshiba Satellite laptop has a partioned hard drive. The 'A' sector is almost full (90%) and the 'B' sector, which seems to be for back-ups, has a lot of space on it.

Are there any itemss I can move from A to B without affecting the running, and in particular, the start up and booting of the computer at the beginning of the day?
 Moving Programmes on a Partitioned Disc - John H
Before you start moving items, see if you can recover some space.

You don't say whether it is XP, Vista, etc. or Ubuntu.
So here is a general guide to MS OS
www.microsoft.com/atwork/maintenance/speed.aspx

specific guides to your OS easily found on t'internet , search "disk cleanup xyz" where xyz is the name of your OS.

re. stuff you can easily move, start with your big folders/files such as photos, movies, documents.

Depending on your skill level, it is possible to point the MS OS to the new location of these documents. Similarly, depending on your skill, you can install some programs to a place other than the default location on MS OS.

Thanks for that input JH. I can use a computer but maintenenance isn't my strong suit. It is running Vista and there is an external drive onto which I can move photos etc. I shan't be seeing the lady or the computer for a couple of weeks but I will get on the case when I do. Thnaks again; I am concious of the nedd not to mess the thing up!!!!
 Moving Programmes on a Partitioned Disc - Tooslow
Or you could make the B sector smaller and then enlarge the A sector using the space freed up. Patition Wizard is free and easy to use. Just make sure you're plugged into the mains and not on battery.

Incidentally PW will probably refer to the os sector as the C partition or drive and the B sector as the D partition or drive. Not being pedantic, just guiding you as to what to expect.

John
 Moving Programmes on a Partitioned Disc - Hard Cheese

No harm in simply moving My Documents etc over to the other partition.

Moving Programmes on a Partitioned Disc - smokie
>>
>> No harm in simply moving My Documents etc over to the other partition.
>>
>>
>>
and you can re-point the shortcuts to a new My Documents location easily enough.
Thanks john, I'll try that carefully in a couple of weeks. Moving Docs isn't going to help as she hasn't got any! I shall have to look and see just what is on the main sector that is filling it up! Matter closed for the moment thanks.
 Moving Programmes on a Partitioned Disc - Tooslow
PP, you said "Vista" which triggered a thought. Ulike XP before it and W7 after it, Vista places no limit on the space available for System Recovery data. Consequently this can grow and fill a disk. It's a possibility. the easy way to check is (you guessed it) CCLEANER. Go to Tools, System restore. Check how many and the dates, delete any you think are excessive. You could get back as much as half a Gig per restore point.

John
 Moving Programmes on a Partitioned Disc - John H
You may be amazed by the amount of junk that Microsft's built in "disk cleanup" finds.

Latest Forum Posts