Computer Related > DNS problems? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Roger. Replies: 21

DNS problems? - Roger.
We are now with TalkTalk!
We have two laptops connected wirelessly to their supplied home gateway an Echolife HG532.
Both laptops have EXACTLY the same DNS, connection parameters, IP addresses, MTUs, internet security ec, etc, yet my wife's Toshiba, running XP Home, has awful problems in connecting from time to time. When I say connecting, I mean it is connected to the wireless network, but none of the browsers or email programs will connect to a web site. I have flushed the DNS cache, re-set winsock, scanned for malware, checked the hosts settings, and the problem persists, intermittently.
The browser can be on a site, a (good) link be clicked, often on the same site/domain, or Google.UK, and "Firefox cannot find the server ...." comes up.
Sometimes doing a wireless connection repair cures it; sometime just choosing a different web site cures it, but not always.
From the symptoms it does seem that it is a DNS problem, but I cannot understand why the
Acer running Windos 7 Home Premium 64 bit does not suffer the same inconsistencies.
I have tried using Open DNS, but the blasted router, although I can access it, has no means to change settings, even though the instructions and "Help" say it can be done and TalkTalk's DNS servers are set in there.
Any help appreciated as I am at hair tearing out stage - and I don't class myself as a PC illiterate person!
Thanks,
Roger
 DNS problems? - Zero
What router is it? Its probably set to get the DNS automatically.

Tiscali (talk talk) frequently had issues with DNS. YOu can set the DNS in the PC, google for instructions.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 24 Feb 11 at 12:52
 DNS problems? - Roger.
It's the nasty Huawei HG 532.
I can access the router, but as I said, while I can see the settings I cannot alter them!
Anyone with this router with tips - please advise. Will setting it to factory default enable a clean set-up start, or will it delete everything, including the type settings for ADSL connection etc.?
Yes, the DNS is set in the router, that among several other things such as port forwarding, adjusting Firewall settings etc., is what I would like to change, but there is absolutely no facility to do this, although the help instructions say "do this, do that"!
I am not sure if the laptops' DNS settings will over-ride the router's- what is the position, as I have used Open DNS for several years with good results.
I might try and set up my Linksys router, which I kept from our recent time in Spain: obviously it has Telefonica's settings which won't work with TalkTalk, but at least I can access it AND alter things in it!
 DNS problems? - John H
So does this not work?:
log on to router admin;
advanced > Basic > LAN, there under DHCP > change the primary and secondary DNS server > submit.

DNS problems? - smokie
>> I am not sure if the laptops' DNS settings will over-ride the router's-

I believe they will. Had problems myself last night with Virgin DNS servers, so stuck the OpenDNS addresses in my PC config and all is well.

The Virgin router is locked down as well, can;t change DNS settings in there.
Last edited by: smokie on Thu 24 Feb 11 at 15:30
 DNS problems? - Hard Cheese

In XP Pro (I think Home is the same in this regard) > right click My Network Places > right click the connection > double click on Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) > click Advanced > click DNS.

Anything in there?

Check - Append primary and connection specific DNS suffixes.
Check - Append parent suffixes of the primary DNS suffix.
Check - Register this connections addresses in DNS.

DNS problems? - Stuartli
>>What router is it?>>

Roger did state it was the Echolife HG532 (it's a Huawei wireless router), so a check through TT's extensive Help pages could be beneficial. See, for instance:

help.talktalk.co.uk/app/answers/detail/a_id/1930

help.talktalk.co.uk/app/answers/detail/a_id/1410

Another point is that TT's MTU setting is 1432 - quite a few problems may/can arise if this figure is not set.
Last edited by: Stuartli on Thu 24 Feb 11 at 13:42
 DNS problems? - Roger.
Yes the MTU IS set to 1432.
I CAN get into the router - I CANNOT get any page on which I can make alterations - just view the settings already recorded.
Clicking "Advanced" doe NOT bring up any possibility of altering anything.
 DNS problems? - Focusless
Might be irrelevant but on my O2 Thomson router you have to login as 'superuser' or something to change some settings rather than using the usual login.
 DNS problems? - John H
contact talktalk user forums.

A technician should take charge of your router dns settings access problem and work it thorough with you.

DNS problems? - Stuartli
>>I CANNOT get any page on which I can make alterations - just view the settings already recorded.>>

That's strange - never had any problems in that area; I gave my HG532 to my best mate and had no difficulties setting it up for him either (I got a D-Link wireless router as part of a TalkTalk Labs Trial).

PS

Re J H's suggestion. It is very useful to have the advice and help of one of the OCEs, especially when seeking to alter your exchange profile, as he suggests.

www.talktalkmembers.com/forums/ (BB Speed and Web Browsing forum is probably the best, but you will have to register first).
Last edited by: Stuartli on Thu 24 Feb 11 at 20:46
 DNS problems? - Zero
Are you actually signing into it?

Where did it come from? Anyway - get rid its a POS.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 24 Feb 11 at 21:15
 DNS problems? - Roger.
Yes, signing in OK.
Direct from TalkTalk!
Yes, it is a POS!
I've managed to set up my Linksys gateway with TalkTalk settings, which is currently working.
My Linksys is set to use Open DNS, by default, so we will see if the Toshiba works consistently now.
The Linksys has all my port forwarding set up for Utorrent, Skype, VOIPCheap etc, etc. It also is set to "talk" only to the MAC addresses of our two laptops.
Next job when I have time, is to change the default network name and put in a decent length wireless password - while the TalkTalk wireless password encryption IS WPA2, the password itself is pathetically short!
 DNS problems? - Zero
And hopefully it wont have a secret back door into it, unlike the Chinese sourced one...
 DNS problems? - Stuartli
>> And hopefully it wont have a secret back door into it, unlike the Chinese sourced one...>>

I never had a problem getting into the configuration pages...
 DNS problems? - Zero
>> >> And hopefully it wont have a secret back door into it, unlike the Chinese
>> sourced one...>>
>>
>> I never had a problem getting into the configuration pages...

The secret back door is there for others to get in and out of your equipment.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 25 Feb 11 at 08:55
 DNS problems? - Roger.
Yes, I've heard that, too, SeƱor Z.
Last edited by: Roger on Thu 24 Feb 11 at 23:55
 DNS problems? - Roger.
tinyurl.com/4gdmhvt (a technical forum) has the story on TalkTalk's nosiness.
 DNS problems? - Arctophile
Google: StalkStalk
 DNS problems? - Stuartli
>>tinyurl.com/4gdmhvt (a technical forum) has the story on TalkTalk's nosiness.>>

That tale is quite a few months old now - there were some very angry exchanges on the TT Members' Forums web pages at the time when it was first spotted.
 DNS problems? - Roger.
Well, I think changing router, thus enabling, among other things, my own DNS settings being input, just may have resolved the problem
The XP machine was used for around an hour this AM, with no problems.
More trials later when a clover leaf cable for the charger arrives from Amazon.
Here, I must blush and hang my head.
I'm in the process of changing leads with Spanish plugs to the UK 3 pin type and starting on the lead for the lap-top, gaily cut off ............................the end with the cloverleaf fitting on it.
DUH!
 DNS problems? - Zero
AT least it wasn't plugged in.

I still have the scar.
Latest Forum Posts