Computer Related > Good Accounts Package Buying / Selling
Thread Author: Pete Replies: 10

Good Accounts Package - Pete
Can anyone recommend a simple small-business accounting package. I run my business as a sole-trader, am flat-rate VAT registered and like to keep things as simple as possible. I don't have an accountant, formal accounts, balance sheet etc. I've used Quicken 98 for the past 13 years but I think it's time for change.

I want something that I can set up so that it mirrors the expense categories on the HMRC self assessment form,and that I can use as the basis for quarterly flat rate VAT returns. It needs to be robust and simple to use.

If there's a freeware or shareware package so much the better.

Thanks.
 Good Accounts Package - Zero
You really dont want to run your business on freeware or shareware, you prepared to take that risk?

Sage has been the the most widely used for years, and being a company started in the UK is most suited to HMC&E requirements.

Starts at £10 month +VAT (you can reclaim the VAT and offset the cost as a legitimate business expense) and you get support.

www.sageone.com/accounts
Thanks for the tips. I hadn't appreciated that there was a risk associated with freeware/shareware. What's the potential problem with it? My IFA mentioned Sage, and the site looks good (though I can't claim the VAT back as I'm flat rate). I shall investigate further.

Any other suggestions? I was idly considering setting up something bespoke in Excel but my Excel knowledge is very limited indeed.
 Good Accounts Package - Zero
>> Thanks for the tips. I hadn't appreciated that there was a risk associated with freeware/shareware.
>> What's the potential problem with it?

Not saying it would, or will, but it has no official support, and it could screw up your data.
Not a problem for Jo public, but I wouldnt base my business on it.

Good Accounts Package - Falkirk Bairn
How many transactions /month is the 1st question. How many invoices do you send out?
Word/Excel is adequate for say 20/30 ins/outs per month.
>> How many transactions /month is the 1st question. How many invoices do you send out?
>> Word/Excel is adequate for say 20/30 ins/outs per month.
>>
I send 5-10 invoices each month and make 30-40 payments.
> >>
>> I send 5-10 invoices each month and make 30-40 payments.
>>
I bet the 30-40 payments could nearly all be paid by credit card - summarise the credit card statement into categories - car maint, car fuel, Insurance, advertising, Stock purchase + Misc - whatever categories you need.
Your 30 -40 lines might be 5-10 and still have analysis built in.
5-10 invoices and 5-10 lines of expense EXCEL is the easy route - that's what I use and it is easy. 1 x spreadsheet with 12 tabs April-March
Thanks for this. It makes me think that I need to get myself a good book on Excel.
 Good Accounts Package - Mike H
Microsoft Accounting had some good write-ups a couple of years ago, but I think it`s been discontinued. Sage is OK but fairly complex IMHO.
 Good Accounts Package - Alastairw
Most packages these days are 'in the cloud'.

You could do a lot worse than looking at www.arithmo.co.uk/

It does all that you require at a reasonable cost. I should, however, declare an interest, in that I work Arithmo's parent compnay, but will not gain financially from an additional sale.
Templates available for Open Office - free software, with free downloadable data sheets for accounting.
Latest Forum Posts