Computer Related > Unable to connect email links.
Thread Author: scousehonda Replies: 17

Unable to connect email links. - scousehonda
My desktop PC runs Windows7 and I use Thunderbird for my email. I have noticed recently that I am unable to open links that are attached to incoming emails. This has only become apparent over the last few weeks (I have had the computer since last July). Is there an obvious solution that this very modestly PC savvy user might be able to employ to rectify things?

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by: Pugugly on Sat 19 Mar 11 at 22:17
 Unable to connect email links. - Zero
www.freeemailtutorials.com/mozillaThunderbird/setThunderbirdAsDefaultEmailClient.cwd

Unable to connect email links. - John H
Zero - I read the OP's question as asking about opening hyper-links from within his emails.

I don't use Thunderbird, hence cannot help with my interpretation of the question.

Ah right! Sorry.

I was looking at it opening email from links in web pages.

I don't use thunderbird either,
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 19 Mar 11 at 23:16
 Unable to connect email links. - devonite
Me cant claim any credit for this as me found it with a "Google" = but it may help!

>> 1. Open INTERNET EXPLORER and make it the DEFAULT BROWSER.
2. Open THUNDERBIRD and click a Link in a message to ensure that it opens a Tab in IE.
3. Open FIREFOX and make it the DEFAULT BROWSER (this ofcourse reverses the first step above).
4. Click a Link in TBird to verify that the link feature is now working properly.

The link problem in TBird occurs from time to time and can be frustrating to resolve. This fix was applied in Windows XP Home, SP 2. <<
Thanks for the replies.

Devonite, I have an associated problem in respect of your suggestion. I am currently unable to get into Internet Explorer so am obviously unable to make it my Default browser. I understand that others are having the same problem with IE. I wonder if these two issues could be related.

Would there be any sense in me trying a 'System Restore' or might that cause other problems do you think?
>> My desktop PC runs Windows7

Is it up to date, with SP1?

>> and I use Thunderbird for my email.

You are a "very modestly PC savvy user", so what is the reason for using Thunderbird?

>> I am currently unable to get into Internet Explorer so am obviously unable to make it >> my Default browser.

What do you mean "unable to get into" IE?
You say "currently", so when was the last time you used it?
And, which browser are you now using?

>> I understand that others are having the same problem with IE.
>>

Others? Same problem? Tell us more.

JH

Yes, it is up to date with SP1.

Do you have to be an expert PC user to run Thunderbird? I got my first PC in 2002 and am 'self taught' insofar as I bought a couple of books to get me into XP Home and subscribed to 'ComputerActive' magazine which recommended Thunderbird as an improvement on Outlook Express. Incidentally, my mail server is ...@btopenworld, which I understand is not compatible with Outlook Express – another reason for using Thunderbird.

When I attempt to log on to Internet Explorer 9 I get a message “Internet Explorer has stopped working. A problem caused the program (sic) to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.” Windows doesn't close the program and no solution has so far been forthcoming. The same fault has been reported to the ComputerActive forum and there were several complainants.

Notwithstanding the above, in getting an accurate version of the message from Windows I attempted to get into IE again and, guess what, I was successful so I will attempt to use devonite's solution to my original problem. However, I am going to watch Chelsea v Man City first, having already enjoyed Liverpool's victory over Sunderland a little earlier.

I will report back later.
I would guess that you are using a web browser of some kind to access this site, but its not Internet explorer. I would also guess that your broken internet explorer is your default browser, and the one that Thunderbird tries to invoke, and cant

What browser are you using, and have you made it your default browser?
Oh and the advice about Thunderbird? its way out of date. Use windows live mail. It will handle bt internet.
You didn't answer all the questions I asked. Never mind.

>> Do you have to be an expert PC user to run Thunderbird? I got my
No, but usually a non-expert will stick with what comes with Windows. With Win7, there is even less incentive to use anything other than Microsoft's free antivirus, Mail, etc. packages. There is a large community of users of these products to be able to help you, whereas you will find fewer users of Thunderbird around to help you with your query.

>> as an improvement on Outlook Express.
Outlook Express is no longer available, and has been obsolete for some time.

>> Incidentally, my mail server is ...@btopenworld, which I understand
>> is not compatible with Outlook Express – another reason for using Thunderbird.
>>
re. Outlook Express, as per above.
in any case, searching using Google shows btopenworld can be used with Outlook Express.

Last edited by: John H on Sun 20 Mar 11 at 18:06
Sorry, JH. The 2 answers that I omitted:

I last tried to use IE about one month ago and had the same problem (because I hardly ever use IE I didn't bother following up at the time, thinking that it might solve itself, something which my limited IT knowledge tells me often happens).

My current browser is Mozilla Firefox, another variation from the Microsoft package which seems to be forced on those of who choose Windows over Apple (in my case purely on cost grounds).

Anyway I am delighted to say that devonite's solution has worked and the problem seems to have been solved.

Thanks for your help and my sincere apologies for not answering all of your questions in my initial reply.
devonite

You will see from the above that your solution worked a treat. Many thanks.
 Unable to connect email links. - devonite
As I said: >>Me cant claim any credit for this as me found it with a "Google" <<

but glad it helped! ;-)
 Unable to connect email links. - Iffy
sh,

Speaking as a non-savvy pc user, might it be time to upgrade to Windows Mail, or whatever it is?

I use a simple hotmail account which works a treat on the netbook and the Mac.
Last edited by: Iffy on Mon 21 Mar 11 at 07:06
Would changing my email provider to Windows Mail be an 'upgrade'? An awful lot of Windows users seem to use every opportunity to free themselves from the clutches of Microsoft and I think that I probably come into that category myself. I have used Thunderbird/Firefox for the past 6 or 7 years and have not had any problems with them at all. I don't think that my original problem that prompted this dialogue was to do with Thunderbird. It would appear to my very modestly trained eye that the heart of the problem involved the breakdown of Internet Explorer. Once that fixed itself the links from Thunderbird worked as before.

I think I'll stick with what I feel comfortable with but thanks for the suggestion.
 Unable to connect email links. - Roger.
This worked for me when I had the same problem.
Somehow the .dll urlmon had disappeared or been corrupted

1. Quit all programs that are running.
2. Click Start, and then click Run.
3. Type regsvr32 urlmon.dll, and then click OK.
4. When you receive the "DllRegisterServer in urlmon.dll succeeded" message, click OK.
Thanks, Roger, but as you will see above I have managed to fix the problem courtesy of devonite's solution.
Latest Forum Posts