Computer Related > A good free firewall? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: FotheringtonTomas Replies: 24

A good free firewall? - FotheringtonTomas
This for a "not very computer-literate at all" older user.
Bother. Can someone move this to "Computer related", please?

-----> Kick
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 22 Mar 11 at 12:48
At least, that's what I suppose he needs - the machine's running XP Home 2002 SP3, connecting via a BT home hub. An O/S upgrade is very unlikely indeed.

Distressing wobbly bits and rude remarks keep popping up on his screen, and it takes me time to get rid of these, and he gets it in the neck when these are observed...
 A good free firewall? - FocalPoint
I use Comodo System Cleaner - I see they do free Firewall and Anti-Virus stuff, but I've no experience of it.

personalfirewall.comodo.com/free-download.html
Last edited by: ChrisPeugeot on Tue 22 Mar 11 at 11:40
 A good free firewall? - Perky Penguin
SFAIK Windows has a built in firewall. I have used Zone Alarm free and it seems to do the basics. I actually use their extreme security version which includes anit-virus as well and is about £30 a year for use on 3 computers.
 A good free firewall? - John H
>> At least, that's what I suppose he needs - the machine's running XP Home 2002
>> SP3, connecting via a BT home hub.

I think that these 2 together could work:

1. XP's IE7 & IE8 built in controls
windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Internet-Explorer-Content-Advisor-frequently-asked-questions

2. Hosts file
www.hosts-file.net/
www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

or, use the technique explained here
www.ericphelps.com/security/pac.htm

>> An O/S upgrade is very unlikely indeed.
>>
If you/he change mind, and if the PC hardware is up to it,
www.hotukdeals.com/search?action=search&keywords=windows+7+upgrade
Additional link to go in 1.
windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Using-Content-Advisor-to-help-block-inappropriate-web-content

Last edited by: John H on Tue 22 Mar 11 at 12:24
 A good free firewall? - Stuartli
The XP firewall is one way only, that's why ZoneAlarm or, my favourite until getting Windows7 (two way) Comodo Firewall Pro (freeware despite the title).

However, Comodo decided to merge it with other security products...:-(
>> Windows7 (two way) Comodo Firewall Pro (freeware despite the title).
>>
not so anymore, the free version is just plain "Comodo Firewall".

>> However, Comodo decided to merge it with other security products...:-(
>>
not so anymore, the free version is just plain "Comodo Firewall".

A good free firewall? - Stuartli
>>not so anymore, the free version is just plain "Comodo Firewall".>>

Thanks for that info. It's a while now since I used Comodo Firewall Pro as I got a new system and a move from XP Pro (loved XP!) to Windows7 64bit. Must confess that Windows7 is also much liked...:-)
 A good free firewall? - ....
Zonealarm has a friendly user interface for allowing and blocking apps.

I have used it with XP, Vista and W7.
Last edited by: gmac on Tue 22 Mar 11 at 11:45
 A good free firewall? - Redviper
I use comodo, im very pleased with it
 A good free firewall? - Snakey
+1 for Zonealarm, used it for years with no problems
>> +1 for Zonealarm, used it for years with no problems
>>

the Zonealarm free version lacks the content control that FT seems to be seeking.
www.zonealarm.com/security/en-us/zonealarm-pc-security-free-firewall.htm

A good free firewall? - movilogo
I used Zone Alarm for years. But then it didn't work with Vista. So then started using Comodo.

A good free firewall? - lancara
Check whether your router has one built in. We use streaming TV here and our ISP requires any firewalls disabled, noting the TP-Link router as an integral one.
>> the Zonealarm free version lacks the content control that FT seems to be seeking.

The content is not necessarily the problem - it's how to avoid the nasty little rash that it seems can result from viewing such content!

Pr0n sites seem to be associated with a higher-than-normal risk of malicious software - so, the question ought to be broadened to: "How does he avoid getting a dose of malicious software after (for whatever reason) viewing these sites?".
 A good free firewall? - Zero
Its not a firewall thats needed, its a decent browser and av required

A good free firewall? - diddy1234
To be honest, why bother with a firewall ?

The only time I would recommend a firewall is if the pc is directly connected to the internet.
I.E no wifi router just a straight connection to a modem.

Mostly these days, you would have a wifi router between your pc and the cable modem.

Most of these routers now block a lot of ports.

Hence no point.

Alternately running a different operating system will really stop things like viruses and hack attempts from running.

For a laugh once I got a network administrator friend to send me 2GB of viruses and then installed a windows emulator on Linux (wine).
I then tried to run every virus going.

I had loads of error messages where the viruses could not find windows files !
He's running XP home SP3. He's going to get Firefox 4. He's going to get Sophos anti-virus.

I wonder whether that will do the trick.
 A good free firewall? - diddy1234
should be fine.

Although Sophos is not terrible, I suspect Avast may be a better alternative.

It's also free for home use.
 A good free firewall? - Roger.
Use Open DNS - it's free , it routes your DNS queries outside your ISP's DNS servers (Big Bro, is watching you) and it can be set to block all sitres by tyupe of content.
 A good free firewall? - Bellboy
we have a comoda in the bedroom
its collected some things in its time but never viruses

i recommend linux 10 its free to download takes 30 minutes and about 10 to load and it will find drivers automatically
linux 10 the new freedom................
 A good free firewall? - Crankcase
Well, fess up time - XP box upstairs has been there for a couple of years. No firewall, no antivirus enabled. Used for a bit of webbery. I occasionally re-enable the av software, update it, scan it, disable it again.And also occasionally scan for malware. Never had a problem.

It's expendable, and I prefer the performance gains this way.
 A good free firewall? - Focusless
>> He's running XP home SP3.

Another safe option, if he's got the disks and enough RAM, would be to download something like VMPlayer www.vmware.com/products/player/ or Virtualbox www.virtualbox.org/ , create a virtual Windows XP machine within his 'real' one, and browse using that.

If it all goes pear-shaped he can just delete the virtual machine and recreate it, without affecting his real machine.

If he doesn't have the XP disks, he can install a linux and use that - don't need to be a linux expert to browse. (I do all my work using linux running within VMPlayer under XP.)

Might be a bit OTT though.
Latest Forum Posts