Computer Related > I'm getting an second hand Mac Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Soupytwist Replies: 5

I'm getting an second hand Mac - Soupytwist
As the title suggests I will shortly be acquiring a second hand G5 Mac desktop - sadly the last of the non Intel processors.
Does anyone have any tips for decent free/cheap software that will help me do the day to day things one does with a computer?

Thanks
 I'm getting an second hand Mac - swiss tony
All I can suggest, is making sure your second hand Mac is waterproof, and the buttons aren't loose.....
 I'm getting an second hand Mac - spamcan61
Well there's a version of OpenOffice for PowerPC Macs, so that's word processing etc. sorted:-

porting.openoffice.org/mac/download/aqua-PPC.html

EDIT: presumably the machine will be supplied with iLife or whatever it was called on it anyway?
Last edited by: spamcan61 on Thu 24 Mar 11 at 13:55
I'm not sure what it'll have on it as it's one from work, where we've recently upgraded to new models. It's got Adobe CS4, Office 2008 and lots of other software on at the moment but we're going to wipe it and do a clean install of the OS (Tiger I think) to avoid possible licencing conflicts with the new machines that have got CS5, Office 2011 etc. on all licenced through upgrades.
 I'm getting an second hand Mac - Hard Cheese

As with any second hand PC make sure the previous owner was legit and that it has not got (or had) anything on it that could land you in trouble.

Well, I do manage the people who have had them on their desks for the last four years so hopefully I won't have too many surprises and doing a clean install of the OS should wipe anything untoward off.

They tend to use our departmental server for their torrent downloads anyway ;0)
Latest Forum Posts