Computer Related > How long should digital camera batteries last? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Chris S Replies: 13

How long should digital camera batteries last? - Chris S
I've recently bought a digital camera (for the first time).

A message appeared on the screen saying the batteries were low so I bought some more (from Poundland).

I took half a dozen photos, transfered them to my laptop and got the same message again.

Have I been sold a duff camera, duff batteries or is this normal?
 How long should digital camera batteries last? - Slidingpillar
Poundland is not the place to buy batteries.

I bought a pack of AA batteries from one of those stores. The total lifetime/price was pretty much the same as duracell, except I had to keep changing the cheapies.

Of all places, the Halfords multi battery packs seem about the best value.

Cameras though, decent rechargables and spares waiting.
 How long should digital camera batteries last? - Bellboy
rechargeables with plug in charger
i bought mine in woolworths and they still charge and work through my holidays
i saw the same kit in netto last year for £5
or buy loads of rechargeables from the internet via hong kong and put them in your belt like the cowboys used to hold bullets
 How long should digital camera batteries last? - Zero
Rechargeble batteries is the way to go. 2,500 maH if possible, they last for ages before a recharge is needed.

www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_3&products_id=100743

these for example last ages in my camera.
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 26 Mar 11 at 13:11
 How long should digital camera batteries last? - McP
Asda had 2 x 4 packs of duracell AA 2500maH rechargeables for £5 a couple of weeks ago.
I have not been/looked since.

For non-rechargeable batteries, Energzer Ultra last a long time.
5-700 photos over 2 weeks in our camera with often adjusted 10x optical zoom.
 How long should digital camera batteries last? - ....
I bought a Canon S40 in 2000.

It has been in regular use and hauled all over the planet for the last 11 years. Just recently the charge wasn't holding, fortunately the replacement charge has dropped to a tenner for a replacement pack.
7.4V 720mAh (Li-ion).

Only 4megapixel it was the dogs danglies when it was launched and cost me almost £600 at the time. Worth about £2 now but it's a known and still takes some very good photos.
 How long should digital camera batteries last? - ....
Should have read 2001. Old age creeping up on me. I was done, battery only lasted nine and a bit years...
 How long should digital camera batteries last? - Focusless
Might not be relevant but some cameras (such as my Fuji) have a 'battery type' setting ie. alkaline or rechargeables. If you have it on the wrong setting it can tell you the batteries need changing when they don't.
Last edited by: Focus on Sat 26 Mar 11 at 18:12
 How long should digital camera batteries last? - Old Navy
I use rechargeables, carry a spare set (charged) and take the charger when away from home. Cameras eat batteries.
 How long should digital camera batteries last? - RattleandSmoke
I get about 300-400 pictures per charge on my Panasonic FZ7 which is now 4 years old. That has a 710mah battery.

Eyeing up an SLR for the end of the year though, my photography skills are out growing the camera.
 How long should digital camera batteries last? - Chris S
>> Might not be relevant but some cameras (such as my Fuji) have a 'battery type'
>> setting ie. alkaline or rechargeables. If you have it on the wrong setting it can
>> tell you the batteries need changing when they don't.
>>

Thanks - I'll check that.
 How long should digital camera batteries last? - rtj70
A digital camera will go through normal, non-rechargeable type batteries very quickly. Re-chargeables need to be used.
 How long should digital camera batteries last? - spamcan61
Like I always say in these discussions, I'd spend a bit extra and get some hybrid/LSD rechargebles, unlike normal NiMH they keep their charge for months.

Haven't had chance to check for particularly good deals, but this seems pretty cheap:-

www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_3&products_id=107183
 How long should digital camera batteries last? - movilogo
It depends on how much mAh your battery provides and how much charge each photo consumes.

If you use 2300 mAh NiMH batteries, a compact digital camera should be good for ~400 exposures (assuming mostly outdoor images and not all photos taken with flash)
Latest Forum Posts