Computer Related > IE9 anyone? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Old Navy Replies: 37

IE9 anyone? - Old Navy
Has anyone tried IE9 yet?

If so what are the recommendations of the computer literate to a mere user like me.

Don't give me any Chrome plated Firefox singing Opera bull excrement. I prefer integrated systems that are designed to work together.
 IE9 anyone? - CGNorwich
"I prefer integrated systems that are designed to work together."

You need a Mac
 IE9 anyone? - Zero
you had best reformat your drive and just install windows with no other applications then with IE8.

IE9 is not integrated.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 3 Apr 11 at 18:59
 IE9 anyone? - Stuartli
Firefox works fine for me. I use it for 99.5 per cent of my surfing and the rest is dedicated to IE8...:-)
 IE9 anyone? - Pat
I tried it ON and really couldn't fault it, but after a day or two I went back to IE8.

Mainly because my favourites were on the right and I'm used to them on the left.:)

Pat
 IE9 anyone? - scousehonda
"Mainly because my favourites were on the right and I'm used to them on the left"

You can move them to the left if you prefer.

I have installed IE9 and find it by far the best version yet (but I don't use it as my regular browser as I prefer Firefox).
 IE9 anyone? - Pat
How?

Tell me please, because IE8 freezes now and again so I would like to use IE9.

I tend to add research links to favourites to look at later and delete when I've used them so found it annoying to have to look for them.

Pat
Pat

I thought that you might ask that and I have tried to find out how I managed to move my own list, so far without success. There is definitely a work-around but, although I only did it last week, I can't remember how!

I'll have a trawl a bit later on (am going out to play golf shortly). Watch this space although I expect one of our more computer savvy correspondents will provide the solution before.
Pat

I've abandoned the golf plan on the basis of the BBC weather forecast and think that I've got the solution.

If you click on the 'star' button on the IE9 start up page you get the link to your favoriites. When you click on that you will see a small arrow pointing to the left in the top left corner of the list. Click on that and the list flips over to the left side of the page.
 IE9 anyone? - Zero
>> Pat
>>
>> I've abandoned the golf plan on the basis of the BBC weather forecast and think
>> that I've got the solution.

Pah! a Fair weather golfer!

>> If you click on the 'star' button on the IE9 start up page you get
>> the link to your favoriites. When you click on that you will see a small
>> arrow pointing to the left in the top left corner of the list. Click on
>> that and the list flips over to the left side of the page.

Indeed its called pin the favourites. However, once you have moved the favourites list, shut down IE9, and then start it again. It will always then appear on the left when you boot IE9,

If you hit the quit (x) button on your favourites list, it will revert to the right again when you next hit the star (favourites) button,

IE9 is good and fast and quite light. Am using it now.
 IE9 anyone? - Focusless
>> IE9 is good and fast and quite light. Am using it now.

Was going to give it a go on the work laptop, which is running XP, but:

"To install Internet Explorer 9, you need to upgrade to a more recent version of Windows."
 IE9 anyone? - Zero
Yeah, Vista and 7 only.
 IE9 anyone? - Pat
Thanks all, I'm now on IE9 again but although I have managed to move my favourites over to the right, and keep them there, they remain open.

Is it possible to close them and have the star button on the top left hand side?

Pat
If you open your 'Favorites' link you'll find that there are a couple of sites pre entered by Microsoft (nothing different there!) and one of them is 'Microsoft Websites'. Have a look there (particularly the sub section IE site on Microsoft.com) This will explain what is available far better than most of us would be able to do.

I don't think that it's possible to move the star button, though. I would like to move the 'Home Page' button but I don't think that is possible either. If you discover a way to do either please let me know.
 IE9 anyone? - Pat
I'll have a delve around in the early hours tomorrow morning and let you know if I can find anything out.

Pat
 IE9 anyone? - Old Navy
If you right click on the favourites logo you can add a favourites toolbar which puts a few favourite links across the top under the address box.
 IE9 anyone? - Old Navy
Some more info here -

windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Getting-started-with-Internet-Explorer-9
 IE9 anyone? - Zero
You could always be less of a sinister and joint the right handed world!
 IE9 anyone? - Pat
I've searched all over this morning and have found others asking the same question about the favourites star button.

The answer seems to be that it can't be moved permanently to the left.

I am right handed Zero, I just like things where they belong:)

Pat
 IE9 anyone? - Zero
Ok, now look at the wrist and arm movements required to scroll down and select your favourite from the left list, and then do the same with the list on the right.

IE9 anyone? - Old Navy
If you display the menu bar (right clik on the blue screen header) it has a favourites dropdown on the left of the screen.

I have now got used to the new layout.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Wed 6 Apr 11 at 13:26
 IE9 anyone? - ....
Tried it with Windows 7 Starter on a Netbook.
Horrible !!!

All toolbars missing on install, status bar does not show Privacy Report, you have to go looking for what was already there under IE8.

Don't like it at all so uninstalled, which is a big plus over previous versions. Will wait until they get it working properly before trying again...

P&O have lost a booking this evening due to IE9.
Last edited by: gmac on Sat 9 Apr 11 at 23:13
 IE9 anyone? - John H
>> Don't like it at all so uninstalled, which is a big plus over previous versions.
>> Will wait until they get it working properly before trying again...
>>
another case of bad workman blaming the tools. ;-)

>> P&O have lost a booking this evening due to IE9.
>>
seems to me like your loss. :-0

Last edited by: John H on Mon 11 Apr 11 at 18:09
 IE9 anyone? - Stuartli
>>All toolbars missing on install, status bar does not show Privacy Report, you have to go looking for what was already there under IE8.>>

Very easy to configure which toolbars are on view or not by right clicking on the Toolbar area and selecting your requirements.
 IE9 anyone? - Zero
Updated IE9 on Nicoles Windows 7 starter netbook. It all worked perfectly, all the bookmarks were there and it took Nicole (a model of technophobia) minutes to find her way around.

SO no problem here, and it stayed on, and chrome was dumped.

As for going back to IE8, I would rather put pins in my eyes! Horrid Product!
 IE9 anyone? - Stuartli
Internet Explorer 10 is already well under way:

majorgeeks.com/Internet_Explorer_10.0_Platform_Preview__d6896.html
 IE9 anyone? - Fenlander
Just done the upgrade to IE9... what a nice clean browser look.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Wed 20 Apr 11 at 21:30
 IE9 anyone? - Zero
Yeah its good, nippy too.
 IE9 anyone? - Iffy
...nice clean browser look...nippy too....

A piece of user-friendly software from Microsoft?

What an innovation.

IE9 anyone? - Stuartli
..But still not not yet enough to switch from Firefox, although I keep IE up to date..:-)
 IE9 anyone? - Iffy
I'm on Safari.

I love the rendition of 'top sites'.

It's useless really, but I still like looking at it.

IE9 anyone? - VxFan
>> I'm on Safari.

With Christopher Biggins?
 IE9 anyone? - BiggerBadderDave
And Ian Beale's mum.
 IE9 anyone? - Duncan
I have quick links to half a dozen of my favourite 'favourites' across the top of the screen.

Can I change the order in which they appear?
 IE9 anyone? - Zero
tried dragging them?
 IE9 anyone? - Duncan
>> tried dragging them?
>>

Well done Zero. Easy when you know how!

Thank you.
 IE9 anyone? - Iffy
...with Christopher Biggins and Ian Beale's mum...

Lost on me I'm afraid, but nice to know somebody's reading.

IE9 anyone? - VxFan
>> Lost on me I'm afraid,

www.ukgameshows.com/ukgs/On_Safari_(1)
Latest Forum Posts