Computer Related > Commodore 64 comeback Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Focusless Replies: 10

Commodore 64 comeback - Focusless
Never had one myself, but I know it's been mentioned here previously:
www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-12997245

Commodore is making a Windows PC that fits inside a boxy beige shell that looks exactly like its original C64.

Commodore's updated version will run Windows 7 but also has an emulator capable of playing games written for its ancestor.
 Commodore 64 comeback - Iffy
Bigger pic here:

www.geeky-gadgets.com/c64x-retro-commodore-64-fitted-with-atom-cpu-2gb-hdmi-and-ion2-21-12-2010/

Better pics here:

www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/12/c64x-a-commodore-64-with-blu-ray-usb-hdmi/?pid=942
Last edited by: Iffy on Thu 7 Apr 11 at 13:56
 Commodore 64 comeback - RattleandSmoke
I have often meaning to make something like that but have always got stuck on how to make the keyboard work with a modern PC motherboard so I never bothered.
 Commodore 64 comeback - rtj70
It won't play any decent PC games though being based on the dual core Intel Atom processor.

It's not really Commodore behind it ;-) They went bankrupt ages ago and the rights to the name have passed around a lot since.
 Commodore 64 comeback - Zero
I have one thought

Why?
 Commodore 64 comeback - spamcan61
>> I have one thought
>>
>> Why?
>>
Indeed, seems to be a netbook re-packaged in a bigger case, with a clicky keyboard. Are there really that many people out there who would buy such a thing?
>> I have one thought
>>
>> Why?

That though did cross my mind too. Perhaps it's the same sort of thing as a modern radio in a retro case that you see in Sunday magazine catalogues?
 Commodore 64 comeback - RattleandSmoke
I assume it is correctly licenced though. It is just a retro thing many people have deep affections for that computer myself included. I still have our second one, a 1990 model C purchased for £99 at John Menzies in 1990. It still works too!.
 Commodore 64 comeback - devonite
I`m lucky! - i`ve still got my Amiga 500+ still set up in the spare bedroom with over 400 games! but like Z says "why"? (the c64) why not the Amiga? twas a fantastic machine for it`s day, and Amigados seemed so easy to use!
I think I remember reading somewhere that Heathrow Air Traffic Control was run on Amigas in the early years!- but that may not be right!
>> I think I remember reading somewhere that Heathrow Air Traffic Control was run on
>> Amigas in the early years!- but that may not be right!

Nope - I was running Heathrow Air Traffic Control on my Spectrum.
www.retrogames.co.uk/more/on/details/014526
Last edited by: Focus on Thu 7 Apr 11 at 17:08
 Commodore 64 comeback - Zero
UK ATC has been run on IBM mainframes since before the birth of PCs.
Latest Forum Posts