Computer Related > internet mac number problems Miscellaneous
Thread Author: sooty123 Replies: 20

internet mac number problems - sooty123
i've just moved in and taken over a phoneline, just tried to get broadband sorted but the last person has left it 'on'. Now i can't actually use the internet, but apprantly i need to get the previous occupant to ring up and get the mac number. I've never had this problem before when moving, anyone else?
Getting hold of the previous might be a bit tricky, anyway around it if i can't get it?
 internet mac number problems - Zero
who is the incumbent provider and who do you want to go with?
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 9 Apr 11 at 17:33
i don't know who the current one is, the new one i'm trying is orange. Orange said they don't know either.
 internet mac number problems - swiss tony
If the connection is still open, then I'm guessing the unknown ISP will want paying?
I would expect a letter, to the previous resident, from the ISP to arrive shortly......
i'm not sure it will, because i tried to get online with it but wouldn't connect, but yet they still have some sort of 'ownership'
yet the phone line works and the rentals now in my name that got transferred ok.
 internet mac number problems - rtj70
You seem to think Internet access works like a utility like water. Well it doesn't. Even if the ADSL line was active you'd have to login in for it to work.

This will take time to sort out. What does BT say?

Could always get Internet via Virgin if an option in your area for cable?

Assume you just bought the property so get in touch with the sellers?
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sun 10 Apr 11 at 01:12
your right i don't know how internet access works, hence me asking :) haven't rung bt yet, will they know who has the line? No cable is available in the area.
 internet mac number problems - devonite
click on internet evplorer settings, it will usually state " internet explorer supplied by xxxx" - the current isp provider.
 internet mac number problems - smokie
>> click on internet evplorer settings, it will usually state " internet explorer supplied by xxxx"
>> - the current isp provider.

This comes from the computer not the hone line - you can configure that bit to whatever you want.

So who is the phone with? Possibly the same as the ISP.
Last edited by: smokie on Sun 10 Apr 11 at 10:03
>> click on internet evplorer settings, it will usually state " internet explorer supplied by xxxx"
>> - the current isp provider.

Its been some number of years since ISP's provided branded browsers.
>> your right i don't know how internet access works, hence me asking :) haven't rung
>> bt yet, will they know who has the line? No cable is available in the
>> area.

Yes BT should know. They might not tell you, but they do know
just tried bt, they say they don't know, they say there is no broadband on the line. Also they say they don't recognise the phoneline something about being too new, takes 7days, ring back monday etc etc
>> just tried bt, they say they don't know, they say there is no broadband on
>> the line.

Excellent, tell BT you want to sign up with their broadband and see what happens.

internet mac number problems - Stuartli
Did the previous owner's ISP have its own LLU equipment in the exchange? It's always a challenge, apparently, to switch ISPs if so due to the difficulty of getting a MAC.
What's a LLU?
LLU = Local loop unbundled.

Its an exchange where providers other than BT are allowed to own your telephone line to the exchange. (the line from your home to the exchange is called "the local loop")
Thanks, but sorry I don't know.
Good idea zero, the impossible might suddenly become possible ;-)
 internet mac number problems - AshT
This is from the FAQs on thinkbroadband.com: -

I am trying to order ADSL, but my provider says I have it already, but I've only just moved into property?
This is probably because a previous resident of the property had ADSL but did not cancel the service, or a broadband provider has not fully removed itself from the telephone line. The problem is often referred to as 'having a tag/marker on your line'.
BT Wholesale for a time ran a public helpdesk, but in May 2008 this closed to the public and additionally functionality was given to broadband providers. Therefore you need to contact the broadband provider you are ordering a service from and explain there is a TAG/Marker on the line. Front line support will not be able to help, but should pass you further up the support chain so that it can be resolved.

Not much help unfortunately, but might be worth ringing your intended supplier and asking them to escalate the issue - if there's a sale hanging on it I'd hope they would be able to resolve it.
Latest Forum Posts