Computer Related > BBCi Player downloads Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Roger. Replies: 4

BBCi Player downloads - Roger.
I was not happy to find that BBCiPlayer downloads may only be played on Windows Media Player.
My players of choice are VLC or Media Player Classic, neither of which, despite a VERY wide selection of codecs I have, would render the file.
I strongly object to being forced to use a product (WMP) which I actively dislike and normally, because of its insistence on directing one to obtaining licences, never use.
Has anyone found a way of playing BBCiPlayer downloaded content on VLC or other media player?
 BBCi Player downloads - John H
>> and normally, because of its insistence on directing one to obtaining licences, never use.
>>

sounds like a case of bad workman blaming the tools. ;-)

Hint: turn off digital rights checks in the WMP.

Last edited by: John H on Mon 11 Apr 11 at 18:10
 BBCi Player downloads - rtj70
>> Has anyone found a way of playing BBCiPlayer downloaded content on VLC or other media player?

The iPlayer Desktop on a Mac? :-) Does the Windows version not do this?

It is quite easy to download the iPlayer content without any DRM and therefore use any player. But since that is illegal I cannot tell you how.
 BBCi Player downloads - Stuartli
I tend to watch BBC iPlayer clips more on my Panasonic TV than on the desktop (you need a set with an Ethernet and/or wireless connection).

Much better on a 42in rather than 23in monitor screen and the quality is surprisingly good, especially in high quality mode...:-)
 BBCi Player downloads - Zero
>> I was not happy to find that BBCiPlayer downloads may only be played on Windows
>> Media Player.
>> My players of choice are VLC or Media Player Classic, neither of which, despite a
>> VERY wide selection of codecs I have, would render the file.

Firstly you have the option to download to three types of player, Iplayer desktop, Media Player, and portable devices, so your "forced choice" is not valid

Secondly your choice of codecs is not wide enough. Works perfectly well on media player lite, not that there is anything wrong with windows media player. I never have any license problems with media player.

Install the K-Lite mega codec pack, and install it properly so that the codecs apply to media player and media player lite

Latest Forum Posts