Computer Related > DJ Decks Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 8

DJ Decks - BobbyG
Was at a function at the weekend where the entertainment consisted of one guy, his laptop and some amps and speakers. Actually worked very well. Took me back to my days of humphing a double deck round with boxes of LPS, amps, speakers etc.....

Anyway, anyone any idea what software they use to do this? Is there free to download DJ'ing software?

I am guessing it is something that either has two playlists that one can come in as the other fades out, whilst maybe having the option of adding in "requests" etc.

Just curious - no plans to dig out the mics again - honest!
 DJ Decks - Zero
I suspect its a Mac, lots of music and dj software for macs.

Went to a concert last year, lots of acts to watch, the last, and head of the bill, was the Human League.

Before they came on, the stage was cleared bare of all the tons of gig hardware, a small 19 white computer rack was wheeled on and powered up, two very thin but very tall white speaker stacks, and 5 stands, 4 with white digital guitars/keyboards laid out and one with a apple mac consol. Really minimal.

Them Phil and the girls came out and did a fabulous really loud, show.

DJ Decks - Zero

>> Anyway, anyone any idea what software they use to do this? Is there free to
>> download DJ'ing software?

www.virtualdj.com/

>> Just curious - no plans to dig out the mics again - honest!

Yeah! we know what that sheds used for.
 DJ Decks - BobbyG
It was a Toshiba.
It said so on the cover.

But as this is Scotland maybe it was a MacToshiba !
 DJ Decks - Iffy
I think there's a command in iTunes to run one song directly after the other.

DJ Decks - smokie
Most software will allow fade, I saw some software some years back (which may be that mentioned above) from which you could run 8 different dance floors, and it coped with requests, counted beats per minute so you can match racks and all the other switch things they do in clubs these days. You could even slow or speed up tracks dynamically to match the beat (pitch didn't alter) for those perfect seamless fades.
 DJ Decks - rtj70
I remember when we at the hall of residence bought quite expensive mixing CD players. You could do the same with a CD including scratching with the CD and the jog wheel. I bet you could do the same with any laptop now. This was around 1993-1994 I think though.

Then again synths that used to cost £30k are probably less capable than some mobile phones now.
 DJ Decks - devonite
the program our local CDJ uses on his xp machine is called PCDJ.RM but you can use the later version PCDJ Kareoke on both xp and win 7, you will need to download additional codecs to play video.

just google PCDJ
 DJ Decks - RattleandSmoke
Most the clubs I go to use a combination of laptops and CDs. The software use is PCDJ or something similar. Seems to work well.

Not sure about licensing implications though.
Latest Forum Posts