Computer Related > Tesco branded cd`s Miscellaneous
Thread Author: devonite Replies: 8

Tesco branded cd`s - devonite
Just bought a 100pack of these cd-r`s to download some of my music collection onto and frree up some space. However although they comfortably hold 20 .Wav Audio files they seem to fail burning at track 6! - i`ve tried a different track at 6 and tried with 2 different burners but still get same result.
Message reads:
Burn error, cd type not supported (it is!) or poor quality media, burn cannot continue.

Surely Tesco branded cd-r`s are of respectable quality for audio work? anyone used them?

On the bright side i now have 96 bird scarers for the allotment! ;-)
 Tesco branded cd`s - Dave_
Take them back as faulty - Tesco will refund or replace them and most likely send you a gift card for about the same value a couple of weeks later. They did just that with another product I had to return last month, which is why I'm happy to suggest you do the same.

I use supermarket branded CD-Rs for music to listen to in the car, just finishing a Tesco pack now as it happens. They get a bit skippy towards track 19-20 after a few weeks and are very easy to scratch, but then cassettes' quality and longevity was never much better and they cost far more per hour's recording time.
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi {P} on Thu 14 Apr 11 at 16:53
 Tesco branded cd`s - Zero
Many years experience of ending up with bird scarer's, wind chimes, and coasters has taught me to buy and use branded media.
 Tesco branded cd`s - Hard Cheese

>> ... ending up with bird scarer's, wind chimes, and coasters has taught me to buy and use branded media. >>

+1
 Tesco branded cd`s - smokie
I had some cheap CDs on which the silver started flaking off in less than 5 years. They weren't stored in adverse conditions.

If you are just backing up, rather than making CDs for use elsewhere, I'd always go for a cheap USB drive - or even a USB stick - saw a 32Gb at under £20 the other day. Much more capacity (gigs per buck) and almost as portable.
 Tesco branded cd`s - Stuartli
Buy blank CD media manufactured by Taiyo Yuden, possibly the finest you can buy. Infiniti and Imation, amongst others, also re-badge it under their own name, at least in the case of their products I have bought over the years.

Taiyo Yuden was the blank disk manufacturer that originally enabled/assisted Sony to develop the Audio CD concept after Philips collaborated with Sony on utilising the audio side of the 12in Laservision disk back in the 1980s.
 Tesco branded cd`s - devonite
just converted a load of Wavs to MP3 (120) and burned them all to an MP3 format disc with no probs whatsoever! and it was at the top speed of 48x whereas the WAVs failed even at 4x

Looks like i`ll have to find some other bird-scarers! (and an MP3 player) now - strange!

Got these on EBAY for 6quid an 2quid postage, so cant really complain or take them back ;-)
 Tesco branded cd`s - rtj70
So for £8 you got some iffy media (sorry iffy).... if I went to where I go for this stuff relatively local to me, I could get 50 CD-R's on a spindle for £5.40.

www.microdirect.co.uk/Home/Product/40304/TDK-CD-R-52X-80-MIN-50-Tub

So you've been had.
 Tesco branded cd`s - spamcan61
The usual Channel Islands outlets (7dayshop, mymemory, Play etc.) usually have at least one type of branded disk cheap:-

www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/5319112/Maxell-Blank-CD-R-52x-50-Discs-Carry-Pack/Product.html?searchtype=allproducts&searchsource=0&searchstring=Maxell+Blank+CD-R+52x+50+Discs+%2f+Carry+Pack&urlrefer=search&P36=TY5WX8&affid=hotukdeals&awc=buyat&_$ja=tsid:11516|prd:hotukdeals

50 Maxell disks for a fiver inc. P&P

I'm not sure how manu actual blank disk manufacturers there are these days, maybe half a dozen. Most of the geekier CD burning programs will tell you the manufacturer and disk type before burning a disk.

Or a hundred for 9 quid if you've got lots of birds to frighten:-

www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/13453325/Maxell-Blank-CD-R-52x-100-Pack/Product.html?P36=TY5YYY&affid=hotukdeals&awc=buyat&_$ja=tsid:11516|prd:hotukdeals

Last edited by: spamcan61 on Fri 15 Apr 11 at 10:13
Latest Forum Posts