Computer Related > Which web host ? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: nyx2k Replies: 10

Which web host ? - nyx2k
im looking to host a small website and need a reliable, hassle free host.
will need a designer aswell but is it best to find a host first?
 Which web host ? - RattleandSmoke
I use 34sp, used them for about 8 years now. Never had any problems but it is getting a little pricey.

Which web host ? - nyx2k
i thought you may be the first to reply ian.
have you any experience of off the shelf web desighn packages. seen a few for about £99 inc a yr hosting but have no idea whats involved.
 Which web host ? - Pat
www.cwcs.co.uk/

We've used these for years now and have always had excellent service from them.

Pat
I used to actually do a bit of web development but I decided to pack that in because it was a lot of hassle. Mad the mistake of vastly under quoting on projects.

No point on pre made packages, you can just download templates for free and do it yourself if you're going down that root. If you're going to hire a developer make sure its bespoke.

Is this going to be a static site or are databases etc involved?
 Which web host ? - sherlock47
UK2.net very reliable hosting, and if you have any real problems they are technically on the ball.

A bit pricey, nowadays but cannot fault the customer service. One or two minor billing issues on migration of of packages , but all sorted very quickly.
 Which web host ? - teabelly
If it is for a basic information type site and nothing too fancy pants then you can't go far wrong with knocking one up yourself with wordpress. Plenty of plugins to add contact forms, social media doodads or just about anything else you can think of doing.

Indeed that its the route I would take. Although I never bothered with a CMS on my site as I made the CSS from scratch and I rarely need to update it.
 Which web host ? - nyx2k
its going to be a simple 2-3 page site but want flash and nice buttons that do something when you hover over them. nothing too over the top so just a nice static back ground but with a few nice flourishes.
its for a friend to extol the virtues of a very small car valeting business but has got to look pro built as there are way too many bad built web pages around.
A good local web development firm with a good portfolio should be able to do something for around £300 and that should be all done in XHTML/CSS and include a lot of SEO.

Which web host ? - Arctophile
I asked a similar question here some time ago.

After some research I went with these people:-

www.tsohost.co.uk/

Highly recommended.

Latest Forum Posts