Computer Related > Browser stalls loading page Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Focusless Replies: 21

Browser stalls loading page - Focusless
I'm using Firefox4, and most of the time it's fine, but occasionally it 'stalls'. Because I use this site most it's usually here eg.

i969.photobucket.com/albums/ae173/focushj/stall.jpg

You can see in the picture it says 'Connecting..' on the second FF tab - I've copied the URL in the first tab into the second tab, and tried opening it there - that doesn't get started. However I went to the c4p home page in the 3rd tab, and that's where I'm typing this post, no problems.

It didn't used to do this - I think it's only since I updated to FF4, but that might be coincidental.

Anyone else get this? I might try other browsers (not IE9 because that's not available for XP) but would rather just fix the problem with FF4 if possible.
 Browser stalls loading page - Stuartli
It's not something I've come across so far with FF4.
Forgot to say that stalled page loads fine if I refresh.
 Browser stalls loading page - Zero
who is your ISP? I am having a few issues with Tiscali, smells like loading an out of date cache problem
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 19 Apr 11 at 18:53
>> who is your ISP? I am having a few issues with Tiscali, smells like loading
>> an out of date cache problem

O2
Just come across this which may provide some clues:

computingondemand.com/why-i-am-dumping-firefox
>> Just come across this which may provide some clues:
>>
>> computingondemand.com/why-i-am-dumping-firefox

Thanks, but I'm pretty sure it's not a (lack of) memory problem. I think it's more likely to be ISP related - I don't remember seeing the problem occur at work.

Will try Chrome tomorrow (at home).
 Browser stalls loading page - RattleandSmoke
Try completely deleting all cache files and also try using Open DNS and see if that helps.
Chrome just stalled on the BBC news site, so I don't think it's the browser. I'm guessing it's not a cache files issue either seeing as I've only just installed it, but will check the DNS settings tomorrow (thanks Rats).
Last edited by: Focus on Wed 27 Apr 11 at 23:27
Do you have Trusteer installed? Seen that causing a few problems recently.

Also what AV are you using?
 Browser stalls loading page - smokie
Wild guess. Possibly a JAVA issue? Try uninstalling and re-installing Java. Though I think that's a "per browser" install so maybe not.

I liked the "clear the cache" idea, shame that didn't work.

Sounds more like some kind of timeout. Stuartli, what's that thing around packet sizes that you've mentioned here before? Might that help? ISTR it had a big impact with some ISPs.
This site dosn't use JAVA though does it? Unless you mean JavaScript in which case you're probably onto something.

Also didn't see the picture when I replied, so my DNS suggestion isn't really relevant because it would not load that far if thats. I haven't checked the HTML output source code for C4P but I wonder if there is some JavaScript just after the header?

I would look at seeing is Trusteer is installed and also check your AV settings for any script blockers.
>>Sounds more like some kind of timeout. Stuartli, what's that thing around packet sizes that you've mentioned here before? Might that help? ISTR it had a big impact with some ISPs.>>

That's the MTU setting for TalkTalk and AOL, which is 1432 rather than the higher figure for most other ISPs and also the Windows default.

See:

www.talktalkmembers.com/content/view/55/68/

www.talktalkmembers.com/content/view/56/68/

I had websites and e-mails problems about three or four years ago for no apparent reason; it wasn't very well documented at the time and I found the solution (MTU setting) by chance on the above links (the forums were brand new and still in beta form at that time).

Once dropping the MTU to 1432 it was back to the status quo. IIRC CPW had changed the modem configuration to that of AOL, which it had taken over a little earlier.
Certainly worth experimenting with different MTU values :). I've found a lot of secure HTTP problems are caused by wrong MTU values.
The MTU is 1500, which doesn't get fragmented using the ping test so AFAIK that's ok.
Tried one or 2 things which made no difference, then just turned the router off and on again. So far so good...
Sigh

I though an old stager like you would have rebooted things first!
Yeh I know - obvious now.

Actually I'm never quite sure whether it's safe to just reboot the router willy nilly since a thread here in which IIRC you said it might adversely affect the negotiated download speed?
Thats only if you power it on and off repeatedly causing a lot of dropped link errors. Two or three times a month is fine and indeed might negotiate a higher speed that has previously slowly dropped down.
Thanks - I'll try to remember that. The router had been up for 30 days so it was probably due for a break.
 Browser stalls loading page - Iffy
...Two or three times a month is fine and indeed might negotiate a higher speed that has previously slowly dropped down...

I tend to turn mine off about once a month.

I've had to a couple of times after it locked itself.

Other than that, it's been reliable.

Quite pleased, it's only the 'free' one supplied by Sky.

Can't be much to it, it's about the size of a paperback book, but lighter.

Browser stalls loading page - smokie
I have a new Virgin "superhub" which occasionally loses the ability to give out IP addresses. Others have this problem too, and a firmware update may fix, if they can identify the problem.

In the meantime I'm going to use a spare mechanical timer to have a daily reboot at 05:00. Not something I've usually bothered with.
Latest Forum Posts