Computer Related > safe mode Miscellaneous
Thread Author: borasport Replies: 5

safe mode - borasport
can't get SWMBO's vista laptop to boot in safe mode - F2 takes you into setup, F12 selects a boot device, F8 does diddly squat.

I note that the 'help' says 'if this does not work, you should try again' - well I've done that several times and am contemplating the relevance of the medieval concept of defenestration with regard to microsoft.

Any way of forcing it to reboot in safe mode ?
 safe mode - VxFan
Are you just pressing F8, or holding it down?

Full info here. Apologies if you've already tried this.

windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Start-your-computer-in-safe-mode

or maybe this will help? tinyurl.com/5flk9a (links to www.howtogeek.com) - edit, same link as John H's. Edited in while he was posting his message.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 2 May 11 at 13:29
 safe mode - borasport
have tried pressing F8, holding F8, swearing at F8, chanting mantras whilst placing laptop in a pentangle and sprinkling it with goats blood, etc,etc.

Sufficiently annoyed was I that it made a trip to B&Q (on a bank holiday !!) look appealing (though trying to find the right replacement light bulbs for the elderly, unmarked, ES fitting candle bulbs in the wardrobe did nothing for my blood pressure)

However, by dint of picking up some refigerated beverage at the co-op on the way back from the Borg, and following the likns on howtogeeks, we are there,

Thank you chaps, there's a chilled Grolsch in the frdige for you ;-)
(if you can get round here in the next few minutes, they don't last that long)

safe mode - John H
>> Any way of forcing it to reboot in safe mode ?
>>
>>
If Vxfan's reply does not work,
www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/force-windows-to-boot-into-safe-mode-without-using-the-f8-key/

safe mode - Focusless
>> can't get SWMBO's vista laptop to boot in safe mode - F2 takes you into
>> setup, F12 selects a boot device, F8 does diddly squat.

I think F2/F12 are for the BIOS, whereas IIRC F8 must be pressed a bit later after BIOS initialisation. Could be talking rubbish but worth a go if you haven't tried it already.

EDIT: ah proper answers above
Last edited by: Focus on Mon 2 May 11 at 13:28
 safe mode - devonite
f5 is also a recognised safe-mode switch, as to forcing it into safe-mode you could try waiting till windows is partly loaded then hold in the power switch till the computer shuts down, on restart (because Windows failed to load/wasn`t shut down correctly) it should offer you a "selection" screen (safe mode, safe mode with networking, last known good etc) choose safe mode from here.
Latest Forum Posts