Computer Related > Slow opening of Firefox, jerky Youtube 480p & over Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dave_ Replies: 20

Slow opening of Firefox, jerky Youtube 480p & over - Dave_
Following on from Pat's Word thread earlier, which she solved by updating the normal.dot file:

I didn't know I had a problem. My Word 2000 opened for me in about 5 seconds and my normal.dot file was 250k. I've just followed Rattle's guidance, downloaded a 30k version of the file, and my Word now opens in under a second. Fantastic.

Is there a similar fix to make Firefox sooner than within 60 seconds of clicking on the icon?

I've searched the Computer Related board for "slow" but only come up with slow running computers, slow broadband and slow resuming from hibernation - no topics about slow startup of programs.

Also, I've noticed in the last few months that I can't play Youtube videos with a resolution of 480p or higher either in normal view or fullscreen - the sound plays OK but I have to knock it down to 360p to get the accompanying video at anything above 0.5fps.

My PC used to do everything at super whizzbang speed but it's gradually slowed down as it's got older. It's a pretty ancient machine (purchased in 2002 for £275), AMD Sempron 2600+ 1.83GHz, 768MB RAM, NVidia SiS 741 graphics, running Windows XP Pro 2002 and hooked up to a CRT displaying at 1024x768. Broadband through phone line at 11mbps ish.

Any quick, cheap fixes?
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Wed 18 May 11 at 22:11
 Slow opening of Firefox, jerky Youtube 480p & over - Zero
Reload windows. Guaranteed and cheap.
 Slow opening of Firefox, jerky Youtube 480p & over - Focusless
Try uninstalling/installing Firefox first?

While waiting for Firefox to start, have you tried using the task manager to see if anything is using lots of CPU? I suspect it won't be but might shed some more light.
 Slow opening of Firefox, jerky Youtube 480p & over - RattleandSmoke
You could try downloading CC cleaner and delete all the cookies, cache and tempory files that should make a difference. 768MB of RAM isn't really enough either these days, it is possible to run a PC with that much RAM smoothly but it involves a lot of compromise.

Reinstalling Firefox probably won't have much effect as it leaves too much behind.

Reformatting is an option but it is quite a big hassle in terms of transfering all the files and settings over.

My guess is that your anti virus software is eating all your RAM and thus the swap file is over active.
I last reformatted/reinstalled in 2009. I have a thorough CCleaner-type program which I occasionally leave to run overnight, I also defrag my (120GB, half full) HDD every week or so.

It's all photos and music saved on there, I know I should archive them somewhere else but it's getting round to it, isn't it... Running Comodo security as recommended by some on here - AVG was bogging it down too much.

Task Manager shows very low processor activity (~4%) during the minute or so start-up time for Firefox - it annoys because it absolutely flies once it's up and running so I know it's capable of it. I've considered Linux but I know nothing about computers and it sounds complicated. Kind of like an average non-enthusiast driver might view LPG I guess!
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Wed 18 May 11 at 22:32
>> I've considered Linux but I know nothing about computers
>> and it sounds complicated. Kind of like an average non-enthusiast driver might view LPG I
>> guess!

fair enough :)
 Slow opening of Firefox, jerky Youtube 480p & over - John H
The expert iT guys are giving you a bum steer.

First, a question: which version of firefox are you using?

If it is v4.0.1, my non-expert IT advice is to take a look at these two official Mozilla pages:

addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/startupservice/

addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/performance/

p.s. re. youtube slow speed, try running it with the comodo software disabled as it may be the cause of the slowdown.
Last edited by: John H on Wed 18 May 11 at 23:03
>> which version of firefox are you using?

v3.6.13

The faster add-on is "know not to work with XP" :(

I've got InvisibleHand and NoScript add-ons, I'll try disabling them and (briefly) Comodo...
 Slow opening of Firefox, jerky Youtube 480p & over - Stuartli
>>v3.6.13>>

Latest version, by a long chalk, is 4.0.1.

Firefox keeps profiles separate from the browser so installing the latest version won't affect your current setup.

To speed up Firefox, use SpeedyFox:

www.crystalidea.com/speedyfox

To check out your Firefox add-ons' status and if there's a need to update go to:

www.mozilla.com/en-US/plugincheck/

To clean up your system even better than CCleaner, try Auslogics BootsSpeed 5 SE. It's free exclusively from MajorGeeks (normally it's a paid for) - all you have to do is register (there are no resulting e-mail follow ups by doing so):

store.majorgeeks.com/p13357-auslogics_boostspeed_5_se

Once installed, check all the boxes and then Scan and Repair from the drop down menu. You'll be amazed the amount of "rubbish" it finds and removes. If you are interested in seeing these first, just select Scan and do the Repair afterwards.

Auslogics free Defrag is also highly efficient and quicker than similar offerings:

www.auslogics.com/en/software/disk-defrag/

Run both about once a week.
Last edited by: Stuartli on Thu 19 May 11 at 09:36
Re the YouTube problem. Do you have the latest Flash Player version(s) installed?

There's one for IE and another for Firefox and other browsers. If you update from the Adobe website the correct version is automatically downloaded, so each browser has to be updated in turn.

Or use filehippo.com:

filehippo.com/software/internet/
Thanks Stuartli. That's why I didn't post any more last night, I was upgrading to Firefox 4.0.1 and deleting all sorts of add-ons and programs that are no longer used (drivers for an old printer and an old phone etc).

Youtube won't work at all now :( It keeps coming up with a 502 Error, even Google can't tell me what that is. I'll carry on checking for the latest versions of everything and download the add-ons you mention above.
There have been complaints of 502 errors with YouTube for a couple of years or more. See, for instance:

www.google.com/support/forum/p/youtube/thread?tid=690cd782b931fda1&hl=en

Do you have an up to date audio and video codecs pack? I used K-Lite Full Codecs Pack (option 8 on the drop down menu without the Media Player Classic) for many years, but have since switched to Windows Essentials Codecs:

www.mediacodec.org/

I've done everything recommended here. Firefox is now up and running in a jiffy, well certainly less than 1 second from clicking it! Amazing.

YT video playback has improved a bit, now running at approx 1.5fps at 480p so still some way from ideal. Plays absolutely fine in 360p though which'll do me. I'm watching a couple of relevant 1GB memory boards on ebay at around 3 quid each :)

I couldn't get either of the auslogics programs to install though, they both came up "access denied" for some reason.
>>I couldn't get either of the auslogics programs to install though, they both came up "access denied" for some reason.>>

That will be Administrator's Rights..... See:

www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/507-built-administrator-account-enable-disable.html

Ironically I have the same problem updating some software such as SUPERAntispyware, even though I have both Administrator and User rights. Right clicking on SUPERAntispyware in Start>Programs brings a up a menu offering the choice to Run as Administrator.

How do you know the fps figures in YouTube? They just play for me...:-)
>> How do you know the fps figures in YouTube?

Guesstimation...

1.5fps means it's like watching a slide show with a change of picture every 2/3rds of a second. What I'm aiming for is reasonably smooth video playback!
>>What I'm aiming for is reasonably smooth video playback!>>

Try the Windows Essentials Codecs Pack:

www.mediacodec.org/
 Slow opening of Firefox, jerky Youtube 480p & over - Duncan
>> To clean up your system even better than CCleaner, try Auslogics BootsSpeed 5 SE. It's
>> free exclusively from MajorGeeks (normally it's a paid for) - all you have to do
>> is register (there are no resulting e-mail follow ups by doing so):
>>
>> store.majorgeeks.com/p13357-auslogics_boostspeed_5_se
>>
>> Once installed, check all the boxes and then Scan and Repair from the drop down
>> menu. You'll be amazed the amount of "rubbish" it finds and removes. If you are
>> interested in seeing these first, just select Scan and do the Repair afterwards.

I have downloaded this and done a partial repair. To carry out a full repair I need to 'Get Free License', when I click on that I get a 'Website Restore Error' message. I have tried several times with no joy.

Any ideas please?
Appears you've failed to/not use the MajorGeeks registration details when installing. After installing you can obtain an Auslogics full registration code which is e-mailed to you (cut and paste to enter it into the field). If you click on the Help>About tab it will reveal if BoostSpeed 5 SE registered.

Two or three of the top features are missing from this free version, but they are not essential and the basic premise of cleaning up the system is fulfilled. You do get, for instance, the which Services to Disable feature to speed up a system.
 Slow opening of Firefox, jerky Youtube 480p & over - Duncan
>> Appears you've failed to/not use the MajorGeeks registration details

Thanks Stuartli. I was getting the problem on my laptop, so I did the same process on my PC, got the email and used the code on my laptop. All now seems to have been accepted and working properly on both machines.

I hope that makes sense. Thanks for your help.
Pleased it's sorted...:-)
BTW stepson's Windows XP PC with a P4 CPU and 80gb HD which I built some years ago recently stopped booting. Couldn't repair and installation disk lost so installed latest Ubuntu - seems to run pretty well. Might be worth a go if you fancy a change, but of course you might have plenty of reasons for sticking with MS.
Last edited by: Focus on Wed 18 May 11 at 22:24
Latest Forum Posts